[sci.med] headaches and caffeine

rb@cci632.UUCP (Rex Ballard) (10/16/86)

In article <1954@princeton.UUCP> booth@princeton.UUCP (Heather Booth) writes:
>My doctor told me that caffeine was thought to make migraines
>*worse*.  What is the answer?
>Heather Booth

Caffeine is a stimulant, and if stress is a factor in the headache,
the stimulation of caffeine can complicate the stress.

More interesting, one of the common effect of caffeine withdrawal
is severe headaches.  The withdrawal period is about 4 days, but
afterword, the headaches do go away.

There is a vary good chance that if your intake of caffeine is
erratic, for example drinking less during certain times of the
day, or certain days of the week, that your headaches will be
more intense during these "lag" times.

Migraines can be either neurologically or chemically induced.
Neurological causes range from poor circulation in certain
areas of the brain, to tumors.  Chemically, effedrine, and
certain hormones, often imbalanced by stress can cause or
aggrevate migranes.

The simplest test to see if you should get off is to try going
for 3 days without caffeine.  If the headaches get worse during
this time, try to get through the additional day and stay off.

Rex B.