[sci.med] Artificial Hearts, A Question

bseymour@houligan.UUCP (Burch Seymour) (10/20/86)

I just read an article about the Jarvik-7 heart which reminded me of an
old question about artificial blood pumps. Does the human body require a
pulse? That is, could we not substitute a constant pressure pump instead
of the pulsating variety. I realize that the heart pulses, this gives us
the systolic/diastolic values of blood pressure, but does it have to?
It seems that it would be easier to build a constant pressure, fully
implantable pump.

Anyone out there know of any work/research along these lines. I think the
movie _Threshold_ used a pump of this type. In fact if memory serves, I think
the pump used in the movie was built by Dr Richard Jarvik. And yes, I know,
it's only a movie.

  "A nation that beats its swords into plowshares generally ends up
    doing the plowing for one that has kept it swords."  Anon

Burch Seymour -Gould C.S.D. at   ....mcnc!rti-sel!gould!bseymour

In article <116@houligan.UUCP>, bseymour@houligan.UUCP (Burch Seymour) writes:
> I just read an article about the Jarvik-7 heart which reminded me of an
> old question about artificial blood pumps. Does the human body require a
> pulse? That is, could we not substitute a constant pressure pump instead
> of the pulsating variety. I realize that the heart pulses, this gives us
> the systolic/diastolic values of blood pressure, but does it have to?

	For comparatively short periods of time, steady blood flow is provided
when a patient undergoes open-heart surgery and is placed on an extracorporeal
circulation device (i.e., "heart-lung" machine).  Today, most extracorporeal
circulation machines use roller-pumps, which result in almost a steady-state
flow.  A common predecessor pump - known as the Sigmamotor pump which used
a sequential series of "fingers" to milk blood through a section of tubing -
also provided a relatively non-pulsatile flow rate.
	So the point is, for comparatively short periods of time, steady blood
flow is used today.
	Over a "long" period of time, as would be encountered with an
artificial heart, steady blood flow would present some problems.  The human
circulatory system is extremely elastic, and the arterial side (arteries and
arterioles) are also extremely muscular.  Such resultant elasticity presents
what is referred to as "peripheral resistance".  To force oxygenated blood
into circulation at the ascending aorta AND MAINTAIN ADEQUATE PERIPHERAL
CIRCULATION would require a steady-state blood flow whose resultant pressure
would be in the same magnitude range as that of "normal" systolic pressure.
	Such steady-state flow would keep arterial and arteriole walls and
capillary beds permanently distended, causing unnatural and excessive stress
on their walls, eventually resulting in ruputure of smaller vessels.
	To maintain circulation at lower pressures (say around "normal"
diastolic pressure) would result in insufficient peripheral circulation.
	To re-phrase the matter in an accurate, but somewhat oversimplified
manner: the higher arterial pressure at the time of left ventricular
contraction (i.e., systole) overcomes peripheral resistance and "opens" a
door to allow peripheral blood flow to continue for a period of time at a
LOWER PRESSURE THAN COULD ADEQUATELY OVERCOME PERIPHERAL RESISTANCE BY ITSELF.

> It seems that it would be easier to build a constant pressure, fully
> implantable pump.

	While it might be "easier" to build a "constant pressure, fully
implantable pump", such pumps are simply not suitable for use in a long-term
environment.
	Why?  Because of something called "hemolysis", which in this case is
the destruction of blood cells through the mechanical action of the pump.
A roller pump, as used in an extracorporeal circulation machine, causes
significant hemolysis as the pump tubing walls are pinched together by the
rollers as the blood is "milked" through the tubing.  So, no roller pump is
suitable for long-term use in an artificial heart.
	Other types of pumps, such as centrifugal, gear, rotor, vane, etc.
all cause massive hemolysis, and are NEVER even used for even short-term
extracorporeal circulation.
	It just so happens, that a volume-displacement pulsatile pump appears
to be the most feasible for use as an articial heart.  Interesting, isn't it,
that such pumps closely approximate the design and functionality of the
natural heart?

==>  Larry Lippman @ Recognition Research Corp., Clarence, New York
==>  UUCP:  {allegra|decvax|rocksanne|rocksvax|watmath}!sunybcs!kitty!larry
==>  VOICE: 716/688-1231           {hplabs|ihnp4|seismo|utzoo}!/
==>  FAX:   716/741-9635 {G1,G2,G3}      "Have you hugged your cat today?"