[sci.med] Circumcision

dlr@ihdev.UUCP (D. L. Ritchey) (10/30/86)

In article <425@mit-amt.MIT.EDU> henry@athena.mit.edu (Henry Mensch) writes:
>In article <730@valid.UUCP> pete@valid.UUCP (Pete Zakel) writes:
>>I sincerely doubt that the doctor who circumsised me thought of it as a ritual
>>mutilation.  And I hardly consider it inhumane.
>
>I sincerely wonder if it was thought of *at all*.  I wonder if the
>current practice has proceeded to the point that circumcision is
>simply performed, with no thought as to why it's good or why it isn't
>necessary.
>
>I'm sure my parents had no idea why circumcision was good or bad.
>They're pretty average people, but I kinda wished they looked into it.
>After all, the part that gets cut isn't getting cut off of THEM1

>Henry Mensch / <henry@athena.mit.edu> / ..!mit-eddie!mit-athena!henry

I am more interested in the response on the subject that a dental
hiegenist in our Red Cross class on infant care gave to the arogant,
obnoxious ass who masqueraded as the local pediatrician.  When he
suggested that it was laziness on the part of the parents who didn't
want to spend the time teaching the child to clean himself, she
responded:
	"I work in a dentist's office, and I can tell you how well
	they don't keep their teeth clean.  How well do you think that
	they will clean down there? How many fathers even know how to
	clean the foreskin?  How many fathers even have one?"

D. L. Ritchey (Don)             AT&T Bell Labs
IH 6h-313                       Naperville, IL
(312) 979-6179
--
D. L. Ritchey (Don)             AT&T Bell Labs
IH 6h-313                       Naperville, IL

jkr@gitpyr.gatech.EDU (Jean McSpadden) (10/31/86)

In article <999@ihdev.UUCP> dlr@ihdev.UUCP (D. L. Ritchey) writes:

>I am more interested in the response on the subject that a dental
>hiegenist in our Red Cross class on infant care gave to the arogant,
>obnoxious ass who masqueraded as the local pediatrician.  When he
>suggested that it was laziness on the part of the parents who didn't
>want to spend the time teaching the child to clean himself, she
>responded:
>	"I work in a dentist's office, and I can tell you how well
>	they don't keep their teeth clean.  How well do you think that
>	they will clean down there? How many fathers even know how to
>	clean the foreskin?  How many fathers even have one?"
>
>D. L. Ritchey (Don)             AT&T Bell Labs
>IH 6h-313                       Naperville, IL
>(312) 979-6179

     This is ridiculous.  I would bet that you and that hygienist
have never even seen a foreskin.  As both my husband and my son have
them I can tell you that they are extremely easy to keep clean.
A boy as young as two will keep it very clean all by himself
by just pulling it back and forth while in the bathtub, you do
not have to teach them how to do this, as it is a very pleasurable
activity (If children got as much pleasure out of brushing their teeth
caries would be compleatly eliminated  ( :))   A foreskin is much
easyer to keep clean then the vulva, but you don't see people ( in
this society at least) using that as an excuse to cut off the libia
minora and the foreskin around the clitoris.
    The only time you might have a problem with cleanliness is if
your kid only bathed once or twice a year or if you were so afread of
masturbation you wouldn't allow your child to touch himself.

                                       Jean McSpadden
                                       ISA Georgia tech
                                       404 894-4414
p.s. I am a guest on this account, please do not send e-mail.

--
J. Kenneth Riviere   (JoKeR)
...!{akgua,allegra,amd,hplabs,ihnp4,seismo,ut-ngp}!gatech!gitpyr!jkr