[sci.med] Backissue: Answers to Medical Puzzle 11-20

werner@aecom.UUCP (Craig Werner) (11/02/86)

<<>>

.nf
Answer to Medical Puzzle #11
<<<>>>
>	 A young woman brings her 8-year old son to the Pediatric clinic you
> are rotating through.  Half hysterical, she explains that he has refused
> to eat for two days.  You examine the child.  He is not febrile or weak.
> In fact, he is quite healthy looking, as well as restless and uncooperative.
> After some effort,  you convince him to open his mouth for examination, which
> reveals a hard-palate (first half of the roof of the mouth) which is
> inflamed, ulcerated, and in a layman's term, thoroughly disgusting.
>
>	 1. What is the best course of action?
> 	 2. What treatment would be recommended?
>	 3. What is a possible (general or specific) cause?

[ark@alice suggested the child lay off the "Fizzies", a candy of some sort.
 It's close but not quite.]

Let me answer this case methodically. The actual diagnosis is at the end.
	1. Best course of action. Do nothing for a week. Most pathology in the
mouth is due to trauma, and most mouth trauma will heal in a week.  So
wait a week - if it was just trauma, it will go away. If it wasn't, a week's
wait will not alter the course much.  Remember this is a condition of 2 days
duration (actually yesterday and today = 2, which is really 1), and the
child is otherwise healthy.
	2. "The practice of medicine is to do as much nothing as possible" said
Samuel Shem, as I have described above. However, an Anxiolytic such as Valium
could be prescribed -- NOT for the kid, he's doing fine -- for the MOTHER :-)!
	3.  This type of lesion - an ulcerated hard palate, the whole thing,
has a name, which as you'll see is descriptive of the cause. It's called a
"Pizza Sign," and it's usual cause is eating that first slice of pizza when
it's still too hot (Stouffer's French Bread Pizza always does this to me).

	Just to go over some general topics.
	"Fizzies" or hot liquid would probably burn the tongue and soft palate
further back in the mouth.  The hard palate is what is hit during the act of
biting something.
	Any lesion in the mouth that doesn't heal within a week or two is
to be considered suspicious, especially in a smoker, drinker, or chawer.
Any suspicious lesion in the midline, above or below the tongue, will
probably turn out to be benign or developmental.  Anything off the midline
should get thee to a ENT will all deliberate speed.
	Most oral cancers, I should add, are not picked up by doctors.  They
are picked up by dentists.  In this case, it is probably a case of doctors
being farsighted - they try so hard to look back at the throat, they miss the
mouth.  Some huge oral cancers, though, have been completely ignored or denied
by patients, and by huge I mean inches and pounds.  An alternate explanation is
that nowadays, people go for regular dental checkups but not regular physicals,
but that's another topic.

.bp
Answer to Medical Puzzle #12
<<<<>>>>
> 	A young woman comes into clinic several weeks after trying to
> deposit a counterfeit $50 bill in net.jokes complaining of pain and swelling
> in the left knee.  In addition to her occupational history (see net.jokes.d or
> net.women), she has a history of multiple episodes of venereal disease as well
> as prior knee problems.  There is no history of trauma and no other joints
> are affected.  She says that putting heat on it, which normally helps,  has
> been making it worse.  During the exam, Cervical, Rectal, and Throat cultures
> are taken and are negative for VD by microscopic inspection (and by culture).
>
> 	As if I hadn't told you enough already, what is the probable cause of
> her knee pain, and what do you do to prove it, and to treat it?

	An aspiration of the Knee will reveal Gram-negative bacterial
coccobacilli/diplococcus, you can bet on it.
	But to consider a differential of arthritis of the knee. Certain clues
come from the history.  Rheumatoid arthritis is worse in the morning,
Osteoarthritis gets worse with continued use.  Osteoarthritis and arthritis
due to injury are improved by heat.  Septic (infectious) arthritis does
just the opposite and gets worse with heat.  Aspirin helps Rheumatoid
arthritis but not arthritis due to Gout.
	[wts@burl and cramer@kontron suggested that she may be spending
	 too much time on her knees, as it were.  That may explain her
	 previous history of knee problems, but as you can see, is totally
	 irrelevant to this case.]

	OK, you say, if I'm so sure that the arthritis is due to a Gonorrhea
infection of the knee, how do I explain the negative cultures. There are two
alternative explanations:
	1. The knee infection had to be proceeded by a systemic infection,
the bacteria traveling to the knee from the blood and lodging there.  It is
also a fact that certain antibiotics do not penetrate into the joint space
at typical dosages - Penicillin among these.  Therefore, the bacteria was
safely enscounced in the joint, while the inadequate self-treatment with
antibiotics erradicated its traces elsewhere [I suppose another one of
the reasons why antibiotics are by prescription only.]
	2. An alternative explanation is "Looking for love in all the wrong
places."

.bp
Answer to Medical Puzzle #13
<>
> deficient anemia.
> Having determined that fact, what do you do next?

	OK, everyone who said prescribe Iron supplements, raise their hand. Come
on now, higher, so I can count them.  Yes, you in the back too, on the VT100,
that's right, don't be shy.
	Really, all of you said that.
	Boy, would the lawyers all love you guys...

	The truth is, the doctor (or even non-doctor) who immediately
prescribes Iron supplements for Iron-deficient anemia is probably guilty of
malpractice, or will someday be.
	Despite what you might hear, the average healthy elderly person, is
by and large, nutritionally OK.  This is not true in all cases, but should not
be the first conclusion.

	No, the first question one should ask, when someone comes in with an
Iron deficiency is, "Where's the Bleeding?"  In a young woman, the answer is
easy, the blood loss due to menses, but post-menopausal women don't
menstruate, so if they're losing blood, there must be pathology.
	The next thing to do is a careful history and pelvic exam.  It could
be as minor as gastric bleeding due to too much Aspirin consumption, or
it could be endometrial cancer, intestinal polyps or cancer, or a variety
of other things.
	Yes, giving her Iron will improve her symptoms, but one may be
masking the symptoms of a disease that is treatable now, and won't be
treatable when it becomes refractory to Iron therapy.
	Remember, anemia is a symptom, not a disease, and sometimes treating
the symptoms is not enough.

.bp
Subject: Answer to Medical Puzzle #14
<>
> A man comes into your office after having a work-related injury almost a year
> previously.  He has been on disability ever since and is unable to work
> because of the pain.  The injury, incidentally, was somehow back-related.
> 	Physical examination reveals legs that are roughly symetrical, both
> in muscle mass and in reflexes. Careful examination elicits pain in the front
> half of the thigh (from the hip to the knee) as well as the front half of
> the leg (from the knee to the ankle. There is no pain below the ankle.  Also,
> the pain is only in the front half of the leg, not the back half (where the
> hamstrings and calf muscles are).  In short, pain in the anterior leg from
> the hip to the ankle, exclusively.

> 	What condition is consistent with these findings?

[I intended to mention that the pain was only in the left leg, not the right,
 but it is actually better for the conclusion to be bilateral. Although, if it
 were unilateral, the finding that the legs were symmetrical, although not
 unusual for a back injury, might have aroused some suspicion in professional
 puzzle solvers.]

	In first year anatomy in Medical school, the most important thing
learned is not the names of muscles and where they are, but rather their
wiring (ie, nerve innervation) and function.  For instance, the fact that
the diaghram is innervated by the 3rd and 4th cervical nerves explains
why diaghrammatic irritation causes pain in the shoulder, or why a slipped
disk at Thoracic Vertebrae 10 (T10) will cause pain radiating to the navel.
	An explanation of the nerve dermatomes (skin distribution of
spinal segments) and myotomes (muscle distribution) as well as the tributary
system of the peripheral nerves, is beyond the scope of this newsgroup, but
suffice it to say it is a very powerful tool.

	Given that, it can be easily concluded that this person's injury
was in the, no, that's not right.  It follows nerve distribution of
the, hmmm, that's funny. Well, it's dermatome distribution is in the,
no, that can't be .....

	All dramatic invention aside, this person's complaints cover about
6 dermatomes and three major nerve distributions, and back injuries
generally only cause pain in 1, maybe 2, dermatomes, corresponding to the
lower (and occasionally) upper nerve root from the site of injury.
(Terminology not to be confused with Upper and Lower Neuron.)
Similarly, more peripheral lesions follow one, not several nerve paths.
	So, note how I asked the question.  Not "what did the person
injure?" but rather "what is this consistent with?"
	The answer is "The complaints are inconsistent with any physical
injury, and therefore there are only two options:  Somatization disorder,
the pain is real, but of a psychogenic cause; or two, Malingering, the
patient is faking because he likes receiving Disability more than working.

	Depending on the actual situation, he should either be referred to
a psychiatrist or a good lawyer.

.bp
Answer to Medical Puzzle #15
<>
> The following is a short classic:
>
> While on night duty at the Emergency Room in say, Bronx Municipal Hospital,
> you encounter someone with the following physical characteristics:
>
> 	Blood Pressure	94/62	(Normal 120/80 or so)
> 	Pulse		48	(Normal  80)
> 	Respiration	24	(Normal  12)
>
> 	His pupils are mid-dilated and uneven, i.e. one is widely dilated,
> the other halfway.  He appears slightly disoriented.
> 	What is your proper response in this case?
[Also forgot to mention that the body temperature is 97.2 (Normal 98.6F)

	[If I may bet personal in this revised answer, the correct
response - in all seriousness - is "Hi, Craig, what brings you here?"
Those, by and large happen to be my vital statistics. In the original
posting of this, I preserved my anonymity.]

	First let me treat this the way most of you probably read it.
Someone comes into the Emergency who is Hypotensive (low Blood Pressure),
Tachypneic (fast breathing) and hypothermic (low temperature), you're
going to assume to patient is in shock (actually you assume it for any
injury, but here even more so).  Furthermore, while shock normally gives
a rapid thready (light) pulse, deep shock might bring the bradycardia
(slow pulse) that we see above.
	Concerning the pupils: any type of head injury is going to produce
mild brain swelling.  The skull is great protection, but unfortunately it
does not allow for swelling, and in the case of increased intracranial
pressure, something's gotta give, and it usually is the brainstem, right
down through the Foramen Magnum at the base of the skull. Despite it's
name (Foramen Magnum = Great Hole), the foramen is small compared to the
base of the brain, and something has to get squeezed.  Fortunately or
unfortunately (depending on how you look at it), one of the first things
that gets pressed upon is the extraocular nerves (Cranial Nerves III,IV
and VI which supply the pupillary muscles and the muscles for eye
movements).  In the case of a dilated pupil, Cranial Nerve III of the same
side as the dilated pupil is being impinged upon.  Responsiveness to light
will also be impaired, as will other neurological tests that really have
to be demonstrated.
	Hence, especially in this litigous climate, anyone with
anisocoria (unequal pupils) should be considered at risk of brain
herniation, treated to reduce intracranial pressure, and sent off to
a CAT scan immediately to rule off any space occupying lesions (such
as a subdural hematoma, to name one they may have mentioned on
St. Elsewhere). Sure this adds a few hundred dollars to the insurance
bill, but the results could possibly help save a life.

	Now let me tell you the real situation.
	It's seems that a member of my medical school class,  whose
body, despite being in medical school for two years, is still under the
delusion that it is in good shape.  He went over to meet a 4th year
student doing a rotation at the Bronx Municipal Hospital ER, and after
getting lost a few times, met his friend, whose first comment as a sharp
ER-doc-to-be was "Do you know you have anisocoria?"  "Not only that,"
he responded, with an attempt at humor, "but my pupils are different
sizes."  The conversation continued with the rest of his vital signs:
BP 90/50, Pulse 48, Temp 97.2F, Resp. 24, and both agreed that had this
encounter been near the ambulance entrance, it would have been a quick
run to X-ray and Intensive Care.

So:
	The anisocoria: normal variation, about 1-2% of the population
has it.  The difference between it and the anisocoria of brain herniation
is that the pupils are wholely responsive to light.
	The vital signs: "Athletic Heart Syndrome", otherwise known as
very good shape. Not normal, of course.....better than normal.
	The confusion: Try spending 15 minutes in a Bronx Emergency
Room -- you'd be confused too.

	I just stuck this in to demonstrate two principles: someone may
have symptoms but have absolutely no disease (when the symptoms are
actually the basis for a complaint, but there is no pathology, it is
known as the "Cheshire Cat Syndrome", i.e., having the Grin without
the Cat.)
	The second principle is that written description cannot replace
physical examination as the basis of proper medical diagnosis.

.bp
Answer to Medical Puzzle #16
[Thank you all for your messages, especially those to whom my replies are
 slowly but surely being returned from intermediate nodes.]

of deterioration of vision in one eye.  Specifically, her pupil won't
dilate in dim light, and her eyelid droops.  These are not obviously
related, of course, or are they?....

First, all guesses centered on the possibility of a stroke. I should have
noted there this no no motor or sensor impairment other than what I
described in the puzzle.

	Let's go on to the questions:
1. What is the cause of the woman's symptoms?
	An interruption of the sympathetic nervous system to the head.
You see, one of the poor points of human wiring is that sympathetic nerves
only originate in the thoracic segments of the spinal cord.  The supply to
the head has to go all the way down to the chest and come all the way back
up, which makes it pretty vulnerable.  Anyway, it controls the dilation
of the pupil, the raising of eyelid, and sweating (see below) on that
side of the face. That is the cause of  her symptoms.

2. What is the cause of the  woman's symptoms?
	Among the things that can interrupt the ascending sympathetic
nerve supply are of course trauma and also mass lesions, including
tumors, that can impinge upon the nerves.  The most common mass
lesion is a tumor of the apex of lung (so-called Pancoast tumor).
	This was in fact the case, so "Lung Cancer" is the cause of
this woman's symptoms.

3. What is the cause of the woman's symptoms?
	85% of all lung cancers are directly attributable to cigarette
smoking. The 15% that aren't tend to be in the lung bases, because
they occur randomly, and most of the lung mass is in the base.  However,
air breathed deeply (as in a cigarette puff) tends to go to the apex first,
so that almost all apical (Pancoast) tumors of the lung are secondary to
cigarette smoking -- almost ALL.
	Therefore, cigarette smoking is the cause of this woman's
symptoms.

[Extra-credit:
	the triad of miosis (small pupil), ptosis (drooping lid), and
anhydrosis (no sweating)  is called Horner's syndrome.  I must
acknowledge Philip Ledereich, who by saying "Craig, you should do a
puzzle on Horner's Syndrome." prompted me to dig this puzzle out of
my attic.)
	[As for the mail, credit goes to Lynn Soffer, soffer@sunybcs, for
		getting both the Horner's and Pancoast eponyms.]
	(*) The third symptom (lack of sweating) is difficult to test for,
especially in colder climates and air conditioned offices, although a
recent letter to JAMA pointed out that Horner's syndrome patients
have non-symmetrical perspiration stains on their hatbands (if they
wear a hat, that is) and that this may be of clinical usefulness.
Reference: 	L. Doss, "The Hatband Sign in Horner's Syndrome"
 		(JAMA, June 13, 1986; 255:3116)

Epilogue to Medical Puzzle #16
<>
	Since with a large probability, the acknowledgment got lost in
transit, I would like to thank (in the order received):
	Jerry Hollombe,  Dave Spencer, Dave Kasses, Barbara Petersen,
Laurah Limbrick, Joe Yao, Paula Matuszek, Lynn Soffer, Jeff Kushner,
Susan Finkelman, Matt Fichtenbaum, Michael McNeil, David Robins,
Robert Plamondon, Dave Grooms, Dave Shema, Maurice Suhre, Ken Shirrif,
Guy Riddle, Peter Rubin, and Andrew Klossner

	for verifying that 1) our site can transmit out and 2) net.med is
still healthy.

	The other note is in regards to the style of the question, i.e.,
asking the same question repeatedly, but with different answers in mind.
I borrowed this device from the Brhadaranyaka Upanisad, particularly the
dialogues of Yajnavalkya and Gargi Vacaknavi ("On what then, pray, is the
water woven, warp and woof?" ...), and of Yajnavalkya and Vidagdha
Sakalya ("Yes, but how many Gods are there, Yajnavalkya"?)
[See: Radhakrishnan and Moore, A Sourcebook of Indian Philosophy]

.bp
Answer to Medical Puzzle #17
<>
	A woman in for routine surgery with no history of bleeding disorders is
now found to have a generalized clotting defect, which after extensive workup
is found to be caused by an isolated Factor V defect. Other than that, the
patient claims to be in perfect health -- in fact didn't even notice this
problem.
	Oh, you also know that the onset of the defect is sometime after age
22 since she had her appendix out (read previous surgery) at that time.

	I had to give you the Hematology lesson to both highlight and obscure
the following fact:
	Factor V is made in the liver, and is the only liver-derived factor
that does not require Vitamin K (*).  Hence, it is the only factor for which the
synthesis in the liver is the rate-limiting step (for the others, the
Vitamin-K mediated Carboxylation is the slower and limiting step).  Ergo, it
is the first sign of liver problems (**).
	(*) I know, you say, careful reading of the lesson says that Factor I
(Fibrinogen) is also made in the liver. Well, it is, but much larger quantities
than any of the intermediate factors.
	(**) Actually only liver problems that don't involve the bile ducts.
When the bile channels are involved, fat absorbtion is impaired, and
Vitamin K (a fat soluble vitamin) may become deficient first.

	So what causes liver problems (or more specificallly,
Hepatocellular problems) that you know about.

	1) Hemochromatosis is the most common - but I said this woman is
borderline anemic -- that elimates that (Hemochromatosis is a genetic
buildup of Iron in the body.  When the exact thing happens by Iron
Overload -- Blood Transfusions or too many vitamins pills - it's called
Hemosiderosis.  I covered this in an earlier puzzle.)

	2) Alcoholic cirrhosis.
	This woman is in the risk group for alcoholism. Normally, male
alcoholics outnumber women 3-1, but among physicians, the percentages
are equal. So while male physicians are no more likely to be alcoholics
thab non-physicians, female physicians are at a triple relative risk.

	As it turned out, the woman in question was a "closet" alcoholic.
(where alcoholism is defined as, well, come to think of it, nevermind :-) )
	Alcoholism can present as anything, and this was a relatively
unusual presentation.  For this reason, alcoholism is known as "The
Great Masquerader."

The synergy between her alcohol consumption and her exposure to anaesthetic
agents as part of her work, may have accelerated the damage to the liver,
as well.
	Also, her consumption of Acetominophen may have accelerated the
liver damage.  It turns out that it synergizes with alcohol, and may damage
the liver even at therapeutic doses in alcoholics. Normally, only a massive
overdose of Acetominophen (Tylenol) will damage the liver. This puts one in
a bind, since Aspirin prolongs bleeding and alcoholics tend to have
bleeding ulcers (perhaps this explains her borderline anemia, perhaps her
borderline anemia is related to why she was undergoing a D&C in the first
place. Each one as its disadvantages.)

.bp
Answer to Medical Puzzle #18
<>
walking the perimeter of his farm, 55 year old Farmer Bob, starts feeling
dizzy and faint, and starts to lose consciousness. He lands against his
electrified  fence and hits the ground a little jolted but no longer
faint.  The same thing happens a week later, although this time he
voluntarily makes contact with the fence, with immediate improvement.
	The hint was that he had Strep throat as a child (and this would
be before Penicillin was discovered).

	The questions were:
	1) Explain the dizziness.
	2) Explain the fence.

	Actually this one gets a little tricky.  I could have come out and
said he had Acute Rheumatic Fever as a child, but he didn't mention it to
the doctors, and besides they assumed it anyway.  Acute Rheumatic Fever is
a late sequelae of Strep Throat.  In fact, it is the reason why Pediatricians
(Strep throat occurs primarily in children) treat strep throat with a
10 day course of antibiotics.  The throat will get better in a week whether
you treat it or not, but treating it thoroughly will eliminate the risk
of later Rheumatic Fever.  Hence Acute Rheumatic Fever is much rarer now
than it was prior to the 1950s.

	Anyway, acute Rheumatic Fever affects the heart valves, particularly
the left-sided valves, almost always the mitral (connecting left atrium to
left ventricle) and frequently the aortic as well.  It builds up scar
tissue, damaging the valves, which continue to get more scarred as time
goes on and the heart beats on.  Eventually the mitral valve (let's say
that's its an uncomplicated pure mitral involvement) becomes so stenotic
that it cannot permit adequate blood flow into the ventricle.

	So assuming mitral stenosis, how does the body cope?  Well, for
one thing, the left atrium - the chamber that has to push through the
hypertrophies (adds more muscle) and dilates (adds more volume).  This
works for awhile, or even indefinitely, but there is a cost.
	Hypertrophied muscle and the larger volume translate to greater
surface area and muscle thickness, presenting problems both for
electrical conduction and for blood perfusion, in that both the oxygen and
the current both have more places to go.

	Now let's add some physical stress to the situation: a long walk
in chilly weather, get the heart beat up, up past the point where the
heart is beating faster than current can conduct through the hypertrophied
atrium, and what do you get?  Well, let's assume we get the most common
heart arrythmia: atrial fibrillation.  A. Fib is not life threatening
like Ventricular Fib - people walk around with A Fib for years.  However,
sudden onset of AFib will lead to decreased pumping across the mitral valve
by the atrium, with less blood coming in, the left ventricle will pump
less blood out, less blood enters the carotids to the head, faintness
results.
	Had he merely fell on the ground, he probably would have recovered
as his heart rate slowed down, however he hits the electrified fence, and
thereby rediscovers the principle of electrocardioversion: the restoral of
normal sinus rhythm by application of a transient electric shock. (Don't
try this one yourself, electrical current, especially AC,  more often
starts	Arrythmias than stops them)  The fact that the fence restores
him adds further support to the formal argument that exertion-caused
Atrial Fibrillation was his problem.

[The closest to the correct answer was Jeffrey Silber, devvax!silber.
 Both alice!ark and hadron!jsdy came close.]

[Also to clarify the fence: cattle containment fences are short frequent
DC pulses at high voltage, low amperage current.]

.bp
Answer to Medical Puzzle #19
<>
The case:
> 	An 18-year old female college freshman begins to act strangely
> about a week after breaking up with her boyfriend that she met during
> orientation (the time is now February).  She undergoes a dramatic change
> of personality, going from a quiet, sweet, and shy to abusive, agressive,
> and disruptive -- all within a few days.  She also has sleep difficulties,
> loss of appetite, and no longer cares for her personal appearance.  After
> creating a disturbance on the campus quadrangle, she is forcibly delivered
> by the campus police to the local hospital, where she is diagnosed as
> having an acute psychotic episode, possibly early schizophrenia.  She is
> admitted and is being wheeled by a resident to the psych ward for
> evaluation.
> 	On the way, the resident notices something, and has her transferred
> to the medical service instead.  (OK, I'll be a little more explicit: she
> has a fever -- and he suspects a seizure)
>
> 	Now then, if I tell you that the resident, by noticing the fever
> and acting on a hunch, probably saved the girl's life, can you answer
> the following questions?
>
> 	1. What is the cause of the woman's behavioral change?
> 	2. What is the most likely reason for her breaking up with
> 		her new boyfriend?

	Let's assume that there really was a seizure, and that it wasn't
just secondary to a high fever (for as you probably know, seizures/convulsions
can occur secondary to any high fever).
	So let's then go to the behavior.  99% of the time someone presenting
with acute psychotic symptoms falls into one of two categories: Prodrome of
schizophrenia, or any one of a number of drug abuses (Cocaine, PCP are two
common ones these days).  Ruling out drug use leaves Schizophrenia, with a
99% certainty.  Of course, it's the other 1% that will get you into trouble:
Wilson's Disease comes to mind (it's a hereditary disorder of copper metabolism
that becomes symptomatic at early adulthood. It leads to liver, behavioral,
and neurologic disorders, as well as in most cases, Copper rings in the
eyes: so called Kaiser-Fleischer rings) Wilson's Disease is rare,but
treatable - it's one of those hundreds of diseases that will probably never
be seen,but it taught because it should never be missed.)  However, Wilson's
doesn't present with Fever, nor so suddenly.
	The behavior is distinctive, however.  It is (to coin a Freudianism),
all Id. We have compulsiveness, loss of control, loss of desire to eat, etc.
To a rough approximation, that sounds like functions controlled by the
Limbic system of the Temporal Lobe of the brain. (The Limbic System is said to
control the 4 Fs: Fighting, Fleeing, Feeding, and Reproductive Behavior).
	[I mentioned that the diagnosis was psychosis, yet my description
also fits an affective disorder (mania or depression), as pointed out to
me by William Smith.  Psychosis also includes Hallucinations - both visual
and auditory.  These were present in this case, but I said psychosis without
describing them explicitly.]

	So let's focus on infection: an infection of the Brain is referred to
as Encephalitis, an infection of its linings as Meningitis.  Encephalitis is
the rarer of the two. It is generally viral in nature. Vector (insect)-borne
encephalitides include Eastern Equine Encephalitis, St. Louis Encephalitis,
and California Equine Encephalitis.  In an easy to remember guide, Eastern
is the most severe, Californian the most mellow, and St. Louis roughly
intermediate in severity. They are all rare, a few hundred cases a year.
	There is a much more common form of Encephalitis however, accounting
for a few thousand cases a year (still rare by absolute standards) caused
by Herpes Simplex, usually Type I, usually as a primary infection.
Herpes Encephalitis tends is unique in two aspects: it tends to localize
in the Temporal Lobe, and it tends to be hemmorhagic. It is in fact, the #1
leading cause of Encephalitis (although most cases occur in newborns born
to mothers with active herpes at the time of birth)

	This last disease, however, does fit the case description, so we can
diagnose the symptoms as secondary to acute Herpes Encephalitis, and the
relationship difficulties as probably secondary to other manifestations of
the primary Herpes infection.

	In a way, this woman is lucky.  Had it been acute Schizophrenia,
there would have been no cure. But Herpes Encephalitis can be treated if
caught early with Antiviral drugs (Ribavirin & Acyclovir/Zovirax), and
if caught early enough, lead to complete recovery (with, as they say,
no permanent sequellae).

	I call the Resident a hero in this case because by acting on his
hunch instead of the probabilities, he at the least prevented permanent
brain damage, and quite possibly saved the woman's life.

[Credit to William Smith (uiucdcs!wsmith) and Beverly Erlebacher (Mail
returned - unknown site) for suggesting Encephalitis, albeit not the
specific etiology, and special honorable mention to Jane Talisman, for
being the first person ever to provide an answer to a medical puzzle
by 1st class stamped mail.]

.bp
Answer to Medical Puzzle #20
<>
> 	A 19 y/o woman comes into the emergency room with acute and
> excruciatingly painful left lower quadrant pain (that's abdominal pain
> right around or below the level of the umbilicus/navel/belly button).
> There is abdominal muscle rigidity, guarding (she winces and withdraws
> from touch, a sign of pain), tenderness, and rebound tenderness
> (i.e., if you press on the unaffected, that is, right side, there is pain
> upon release on the affected opposite side.)
> 	The examining doctor on the basis of classic signs make an immediate
> diagnosis, then immediately reconsiders in favor of another diagnosis that
> fits the the symptoms equally well, in fact, fits them better.
> 	Other notable physical signs are a fever, diffuse congestion in
> the lungs, and "distant" heart sounds, as ascultated (listened for with
> a stethoscope) at the Apex beat in the Left Mid-Clavicular Line (the usual
> place to listen).
>
> Questions (and answers)
> 	1) What are the two common syndromes that fit the symptoms?

	Actually there are three, not two. the triad of one-sided abdominal
pain, rigidity, and rebound tenderness (especially rebound tenderness) are
classic for acute appendicitis.  There is just one catch - the appendix is
on the right side, and the woman's pain is on the left. The much more common
cause for left sided pain (especially in a young woman) is either PID
(Pelvic Inflammatory Disease), or a ruptured ectopic pregnancy. Ruptured
ovarian cyst is also a possibility.

> 	2) Which one do you think that the doctor picked first, and
> why do you think he did so?

	It's obvious that the doctor picked Appendicitis first, presumably
because he acted in haste, or alternatively (like me) is Cryptodextrous,
i.e., can't tell his right from his left without thinking about it.

> 	3) Given that the first guess is in fact the correct one, and
> that One question and One simple examining manuever will rule it in, and
> the other out, suggest the Question and the Action.

	Taking a sexual history can be very important in this case: if the
woman is a virgin, then ectopic pregnancy is impossible, and PID is highly
unlikely {PID is usually caused by the sexually transmitted organisms,
Neisseriae gonorrheae (Gonorrhea) and/or Chlamydia trachomatis (Chlamydia).
Other non-sexual causes are rarer.}
	To rule in appendicitis, one must determine that the appendix is
really on the left.  It turns out that in a condition Situs Invertus,
more properly called 'Dextrocardia with Situs Invertus' all of the abdominal
organs are mirror images of normal (hence this conditioned has been dubbed
by anatomist Francis Baker-Cohen as 'Vice versa viscera').  Notice, when
describing the heart sounds, I noted that they were 'distant'.  This is
actually a technical term, and usually signifies that there is fluid in
the pericardium that dampens out the heart sounds (which are caused by and
large by the heart valves closing). They can also can sound distant in very
obese persons.  However, if you haven't guessed by now, the reason they
sound distant in this person is because they are distant, they are coming
from the other, the right, side of the chest. Hence, placing a stethoscope
on the right chest, and determining where the heart is, can rule in a
right-sided appendix.

	Situs invertus is usually associated with an 'Immotile Cilia
Syndrome' (Kategener's Syndrome) where the microtubules in the cilia
lack Dynein arms normally involved in cross-linking and movement.
Since cilia are involved in clearing the airways, bronchietasis and sinusitis
are the result (hence the diffuse congestion in the lungs seen here).
Cilia are also involve in Sperm motility and in transport of the egg down
the Fallopian tubes, hence these people are also sterile (Actually,
females with this disorder can have their eggs fertilized in-vitro and
reimplanted).
	Finally, 50% of cases of 'immotile cilia syndrome' have situs
invertus.  Ciliary motion is directional, and this directionality insures
that in embryogenesis, the organs always rotate in the same direction.  In
the absence of ciliary movement, the rotation is random, and situs invertus
results in half the cases.
	The Dynein Arm defect is inherited as an autosomal recessive gene
and occurs at a frequency of 1:20,000 among whites (Robbins, 3rd, p. 730)

--
			      Craig Werner (MD/PhD '91)
				!philabs!aecom!werner