[sci.med] Chelation DOESN'T work!

werner@aecom.UUCP (10/22/86)

> > > Any information about chelation therapy, pro and con, would
> > > be appreciated.  ...
> > >
> > 	It is worthless.  It is potentially dangerous.  It is expensive.
> > And, if the FDA has since acted, it is illegal (or soon will be.)
> >
> > 	Besides, there are currently some very good conventional and
> > proven methods of accomplishing the same thing.
> >
> > 			      Craig Werner (MD/PhD '91)
> From Bill Stoll:
> I've been trying to lure my father back to the net since he left it
> around 1/86 due to full schedules and defective Macintoshes.  He is an
                                                                ^^^^^^^^
> advocate of chelation
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

	Why am I not suprised about the latter?

	Chelation Therapy usually involves giving the patient Sodium EDTA
in the belief that it will chelate the Cholesterol off the arteries.
Calcium EDTA would probably be a better idea, but is used less often.
EDTA chemically will chelate divalent cations, which means Iron, Lead,
Calcium, Maganese, Magnesium, etc.  Of course, supplements for these
minerals (excepting Lead, of course) are provided (at considerable
profitability). It will not, in a test tube, significantly increase
the water-solubility of cholesterol.  Yet despite that, about half the
patients who undergo it, at about $3500 per,  experience some relief of
symptoms. I should note that in heart disease, any manipulation will
relieve the symptoms in 50% of the people.  So it is a very expensive
placebo - no more.

	Does it lower serum cholesterol? No, it doesn't.
	Is it harmless? Not really, since in addition to mineral loss
which can be mitigated as above, EDTA damages the kidneys.
	Is it effective?  It works no better than placebo, even if it
does help about half of those that try it.  But then again, I suspect
that for $3500, given the large psychogenic component of heart disease,
people will try their unconscious best to get their money's worth.
Basically it's mechanism is "You gotta believe."
	Is it cost-effective? No.
	Is it profitable? You better believe it.

If you want two ways to lower cholesterol via dietary supplementation,
here are the only two that I know of that work:

	1. Cholestyramine - it lowers Cholesterol 10-15%, but it is
a resin, has to be mixed, and allegedly tastes horrible.
	2. Activated Charcoal - probably tastes just as bad, but is
cheap, available without prescription, and about as effective in
preliminary trials.
	Both work by sequestering bile acids.  Bile acids are made from
Cholesterol, and then recycled.  WIth the recycling chain broken, the
body must make more bile acids, from, you guessed it, Cholesterol.

	Of course, reduced fat in the diet, increased exercise (even
just walking), and cessation of smoking (if applicable) are still
the best means of reducing cholesterol.

--
			      Craig Werner (MD/PhD '91)
				!philabs!aecom!werner

In article <528@aecom.UUCP> werner@aecom.UUCP writes:
>	2. Activated Charcoal - probably tastes just as bad, but is
>cheap, available without prescription, and about as effective in
>preliminary trials.
>	Both work by sequestering bile acids.

Activated charcoal is pretty general -- it will absorb just about
any molecule within a certain range.  That's why it's one of the
treatments for ingested poisons.  Did your source give a reason
why someone thought of trying it as a specific for this?

Thanks.
--

	Joe Yao		hadron!jsdy@seismo.{CSS.GOV,ARPA,UUCP}
			jsdy@hadron.COM (not yet domainised)