[sci.med] cholestyramine

gasp@bu-cs.BU.EDU (Isaac Kohane) (11/07/86)

>	1. Cholestyramine - it lowers Cholesterol 10-15%, but it is
>a resin, has to be mixed, and allegedly tastes horrible.
					 ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

As doc in training (med stud.), I believe in trying (those relatively
safe) products that I administer to patients. I did try a packet of
orange-flavored cholestyramine and it tasted like tang sawdust. When
mixed with water, it tastes like a bad " orange julius."  In my book
that's not too bad and is worth enduring if you do have abnormal levels
of cholesterol or oen of the cholesterol/liporotein disorders. In any case,
in those instances when it is indicated, it works (unlike chelation) to lower
serum cholesterol.

dyer@spdcc.UUCP (Steve Dyer) (11/07/86)

In article <2300@bucse.bu-cs.BU.EDU>, gasp@bu-cs.BU.EDU (Isaac Kohane) writes:
> As doc in training (med stud.), I believe in trying (those relatively
> safe) products that I administer to patients.

Watch out for those oral contraceptives! :-)
--
Steve Dyer
dyer@harvard.HARVARD.EDU

rfh@ecsvax.UUCP (Robert Hill) (11/11/86)

In article <2300@bucse.bu-cs.BU.EDU>, gasp@bu-cs.BU.EDU (Isaac Kohane) writes:
> >	1. Cholestyramine - it lowers Cholesterol 10-15%, but it is
> >a resin, has to be mixed, and allegedly tastes horrible.

> orange-flavored cholestyramine and it tasted like tang sawdust. When
> mixed with water, it tastes like a bad " orange julius."  In my book

I have been taking Cholestyramine twice daily since Feb. 1980.  You
can get used to the taste, however the taste changes depending on the
source of the water you mix it with.  The well water at home is fine,
but the treated water in Chapel Hill makes it taste horrible.

I take it to adsorb bile salts.  I am missing the last 3 feet of the
ileium, which normally adsorbs bile salts, because of surgery due to
Crohn's Disease.  The bile salts are a very good laxative - "a dose of
salts" - if allowed to enter the Colon.  As a side effect,
my Cholesterol is at the low normal level.