[sci.med] Activated charcoal

bl@hplabsb.UUCP (Bruce T. Lowerre) (11/07/86)

In article <601@hadron.UUCP>, jsdy@hadron.UUCP (Joseph S. D. Yao) writes:

> Activated charcoal is pretty general -- it will absorb just about
                                                  ^^^^^^
> any molecule within a certain range.

I believe the word should be "adsorb".

mikes@tekecs.TEK.COM (Michael Sellers) (11/13/86)

In article <3792@hplabsb.UUCP>, bl@hplabsb.UUCP (Bruce T. Lowerre) writes:
> In article <601@hadron.UUCP>, jsdy@hadron.UUCP (Joseph S. D. Yao) writes:
> > Activated charcoal is pretty general -- it will absorb just about
> > any molecule within a certain range.
>
> I believe the word should be "adsorb".

Boy, this distinction haunted me all through college, and now here it is
again on the net!  I think the answer is a partial "yes" in favor of
adsorbtion.  If you view the charcoal collectively/macroscopically, then
it would appear to be absorbtion, while on the particulate scale, it is
actually adsorbtion.  Amazing the little things you remember from school;
now if I could just remember the formula for a differential solid of rotation
or the algorithm for Quicksort or the names of the various cortical sulci and
gyri ... ah, well.