[sci.med] tone deafness?

andrew@hammer.TEK.COM (Andrew Klossner) (11/08/86)

My wife is totally unable to distinguish among tones.  Now my
two-year-old daughter seems to be exhibiting the same syndrome: she's
learning to sing, but she hits notes at random.

What causes tone deafness?  Is it physiological or psychological?
Is there anything I can do to "cure" it in my daughter?

  -=- Andrew Klossner   (decvax!tektronix!tekecs!andrew)       [UUCP]
                        (tekecs!andrew.tektronix@csnet-relay)  [ARPA]

gasp@bu-cs.BU.EDU (Isaac Kohane) (11/10/86)

There is evidence that just as perfect pitch is inherited, tone deafness
is too. It is not psychological, but indeed physiological. The experience
in training such individuals is mixed at best.

			Isaac

zdenek@heathcliff.columbia.edu (Zdenek Radouch) (11/11/86)

In article <2376@bu-cs.bu-cs.BU.EDU> gasp@bu-cs.BU.EDU (Isaac Kohane) writes:
>There is evidence that just as perfect pitch is inherited, tone deafness
>is too. It is not psychological, but indeed physiological. The experience
>in training such individuals is mixed at best.

   Given that we don't completely understand the mechanism of hearing
and that we can only guess, how the information is processed in the brain,
I'm really surprised to hear that there is an "evidence" that absolute pitch
(perfect pitch) is inherited. What's that evidence?

   I'm convinced that the mechanism of absolute pitch is not understood.
As a result of having done some work in acoustics and being an amateur
musician for many years I know, that the ability to distinguish high and
low frequencies depends on training. Also note that there is no explicit
definition of what "absolute pitch" is. I am not sure how one can claim
that there is any evidence for a phenomenon that is not understood,
especially in the cases of activities related to human brain.

zdenek

 Men are four:
 He who knows and knows that he knows, he is wise - follow him;
 He who knows and knows not that he knows, he is asleep - wake him;
 He who knows not and knows that he knows not, he is simple - teach him;
 He who knows not and knows not that he knows not, he is a fool - shun him!

 zdenek@CS.COLUMBIA.EDU  or 	...!seismo!columbia!cs!zdenek
 Zdenek Radouch, 457 Computer Science, Columbia University,
 500 West 120th St., New York, NY 10027

harnad@mind.UUCP (Stevan Harnad) (11/11/86)

In article <3808@columbia.UUCP>, zdenek@heathcliff.columbia.edu (Zdenek Radouch) writes:

>    Given that we don't completely understand the mechanism of hearing
> and that we can only guess, how the information is processed in the brain,
> I'm really surprised to hear that there is an "evidence" that absolute pitch
> (perfect pitch) is inherited. What's that evidence?...Also note that there
> is no explicit definition of what "absolute pitch" is.

Absolute pitch is a special case of what psychophysicists call
"absolute judgment" (also called absolute discrimination,
identification, categorization, labeling). This is usually contrasted
with relative judgment (or relative disctimination, or just
discrimination). In relative discrimination, pairs of stimuli are
presented, and the subject must perform a relative comparison, usually
a same/different judgement, or a degree-of-similarity match. In
identification, on the other hand, the stimulus is presented alone,
and it must be given its correct (arbitrary, learned) "label" or name.

George Miller wrote a famous paper in Psych Review in 1956 about the
informational limits on relative vs absolute judgments ("The Magical
Number 7 +/- 2"). Identification was governed by the 7-chunk
constraint, discrimination varied with the sense modality in question
and with the subject's sensory acuity. Identification capacity could be
increased by "rechunking" or recoding the stimuli in question. The
modern incarnation of this area of research is called "categorical
perception," and I'm editing a book by that name which will appear in
April, published by Cambridge University Press. (An active discussion
on aspects of it is now going on in net.ai under the heading: "Searle,
Turing, Symbols, Categories.")

Absolute pitch (AP) is discussed in the book. Note that what most people
call "relative pitch" is in fact a short-term instance of absolute
judgment. The idea is that people with AP can identify all the
semitones (C, C#, D, etc.) absolutely, when presented in isolation.
Those with "relative pitch" can do the same thing, but only for a
short period, while an identified "reference tone" is still fresh in
their ears.

Empirical questions about AP (and categorical perception in general),
include whether it is innate or learned, what role physical, sensory,
motor and cognitive constraints play in it, and what is the nature of
the underlying representation. (Other examples include color
identification and phoneme identification.) I presume that "tone
deafness" refers either to absence of relative pitch or to radically
diminished discriminative acuity. As long as someone is not entirely
deaf, some frequency discrimination must be present.
--

Stevan Harnad                                  (609) - 921 7771
{allegra, bellcore, seismo, rutgers, packard}  !princeton!mind!harnad

zdenek@heathcliff.columbia.edu (Zdenek Radouch) (11/12/86)

In article <210@mind.UUCP> harnad@mind.UUCP (Stevan Harnad) writes:

>Absolute pitch is a special case of what psychophysicists call
>"absolute judgment" (also called absolute discrimination,
>identification, categorization, labeling). This is usually contrasted
>with relative judgment (or relative disctimination, or just
>discrimination). In relative discrimination, pairs of stimuli are
>presented, and the subject must perform a relative comparison, usually
>a same/different judgement, or a degree-of-similarity match. In
>identification, on the other hand, the stimulus is presented alone,
>and it must be given its correct (arbitrary, learned) "label" or name.

The only problem with your "definition" is that it is as little explicit
as those I was complaining about. I'll try to describe the ambiguity.
Human ear can detect frequencies approximately from 20Hz to 20kHz.
There is INFINITE number of frequencies (or pitches) in this range.
The resolution of the ear is not infinite but certainly about two orders
of magnitude higher than resolution necessary to identify notes in any
musical system. A person identifying the pitch is basically determining
if an unknown frequency Fx is from interval <Fmin,Fmax>. It's perfectly
clear that the ability to do that will depend on the size if the interval
i.e., on ratio Fmax/Fmin. Now some numbers.

1. Human ear can identify the ratio 1.0006. This is my estimate, comments
   welcome.
2. The distance between two closest tones in western musical system
   (12 notes per octave) is 1.06.
3. The octave has ratio of 2.

If we divide the audio range into two halves (low and high), anybody with
normal hearing can tell whether the pitch is high or low. That corresponds
to range of abot 30.

As a result of my experience in music and acoustics I can tell you the
frequency of a tone with approximately octave error i.e., factor of 2.
This is a result of an exposure to music, not result of any training. Note
that I don't satisfy your definition of having absolute pitch.

An individual with absolute pitch can identify interval of 1.06.
Since there is nothing absolute or natural in the concept of measuring time
and thus frequencies, this individual MUST HAVE GONE through some training,
or at least he must have been exposed to the same thing I was.

You said "it must be given its correct (arbitrary, learned) "label" or name.".
That's crude simplification. The person under test is performing quantization.
i.e., labeling the unknown as "nth member of N" (even the person with absolute
pitch is going to label all frequencies from <438Hz,442Hz> as "a1").
N=10 (my case) doesn't imply absolute pitch; N=100 does! How about N=73?
What's the definition?

Anyway, back to my original question. We have three people here.
1. "musical ignorant" that clearly identifies ratio of 30.
2. Me, identifying ratio of 2 after some training.
3. Person with absolute pitch identifying ratio of 1.06 after some training.

It's clear that (3) remembered or learned more than (2) and somebody said
that there is an evidence that the skills of (3) are inherited.
I'd like to know what's that evidence.

>				....As long as someone is not entirely
>deaf, some frequency discrimination must be present.

Why? Seems to me that it'll depend on the actual hearing mechanism. Also,
considering that most of the theories prefer acquisition in frequency
domain, I would tend to disagree with your statement.

zdenek

 zdenek@cs.columbia.edu  or 	...!seismo!columbia!cs!zdenek

harnad@mind.UUCP (Stevan Harnad) (11/12/86)

In article <3817@columbia.UUCP>, zdenek@heathcliff.columbia.edu (Zdenek Radouch) writes:
> The only problem with your "definition" is that it is as little explicit
> as those I was complaining about. I'll try to describe the ambiguity.
> Human ear can detect frequencies approximately from 20Hz to 20kHz.
> There is INFINITE number of frequencies (or pitches) in this range.
> The resolution of the ear is not infinite but certainly about two orders
> of magnitude higher than resolution necessary to identify notes in any
> musical system. A person identifying the pitch is basically determining
> if an unknown frequency Fx is from interval <Fmin,Fmax>. It's perfectly
> clear that the ability to do that will depend on the size [o]f the interval
> i.e., on ratio Fmax/Fmin.

The trouble is that your considerations conflate (1) detection,
(2) discrimination ("resolution"?) and (3) identification. The psychophysics
of each of these is different. Detection (1) is the judgment whether any
stimulus at all is detectably present, not whether it is discriminably different
from any other stimulus (2), nor whether it is absolutely identifiable
(3). Detectability is usually determined using signal detection
theory, calculating a d' for the distance of a given signal from noise
for a given subject. Discriminability (resolution) is measured, as I
indicated, by pairwise same/different judgments. With this method, the
"just-noticeable-difference," (jnd) can be calculated. In an isotropic
continuum (one that obeys Weber's Law that the perceived relative
intensity of a pair of stimuli will be proportional to the ratio
of the logarithms of their physical intensities) this jnd can be
thought of as a constant minimal increment, the smallest interstimulus
difference that you can "resolve" (relatively) along the continuum. The
jnd is never (as you correctly anticipate) infinitely small. It is a
psychophysical quantum unit.

So much for relative discrimination (2). Absolute identification (3) is
another matter, and, as Miller (op. cit.) pointed out, it does not generally
covary with the sensory continuum in question, or its specific "resolution"
properties, but depends on how the stimuli are represented -- i.e., on
exposure, learning, memory, and/or possibly also on innately tuned
feature-detectors. All things being equal, for a given (Weberian,
isotropic) sensory continuum, 7 +/- 2 subintervals are the maximum
number into which it can be partitioned before the error rate in
absolutely identifying which interval a given stimulus belongs to
rises precipitously. The same is true (up to a limit, related to the
size of the jnd) for any subinterval of a continuum; in other words,
if the range of alternatives (the confusability matrix) is reduced,
the resolution "grain" of absolute judgment IN JND UNITS becomes
finer; however, it remains 7 +/- 2 "chunks" or subintervals of any
given interval.

The only exceptions to these general principles are NONISOTROPIC
continua -- continua that show discontinuities or local
compression/expansions in the Weber function. Another way of putting it
is that the jnd size grows and shrinks along the continuum instead of
remaining constant (for log ratios). For continua of this kind the
"resolving" capacity of absolute judgment may exceed Miller's limit,
i.e., we may be able to identify more than 7 +/- 2 subintervals
reliably. This phenomenon is known as Categorical Perception. It is
exhibited (innately) by the chromatic frequency continuum (the visible
spectrum) as reflected in our color identification capacity, by
several acoustic continua (e.g., the "2nd formant transtition" along
the ba-da-ga continuum -- a one-dimensional variable in the
spectrogram) as reflected in our phoneme discrimination capacity, and
in the auditory frequency continuum, as reflected in the pitch
identification capacity of those with "perfect pitch" (including, as I
said last time, those with short-term perfect pitch -- "relative
pitch" -- while they retain a reference note in immediate memory).

Typically, in categorical perception, the boundaries of the absolutely
identifiable subintervals correspond to the compression maxima in the
Weber function: the regions where the jnds are the smallest. Here a
small physical difference (between categories) is perceived as being larger
than a large difference elsewhere (within categories). The book I
mentioned is concerned with the underlying mechanisms of this
phenomenon, including whether it is innate or derived form exposure or
learning.

> 1. Human ear can identify the ratio 1.0006. This is my estimate, comments
>    welcome.
> 2. The distance between two closest tones in western musical system
>    (12 notes per octave) is 1.06.
> 3. The octave has ratio of 2.
> If we divide the audio range into two halves (low and high), anybody with
> normal hearing can tell whether the pitch is high or low. That corresponds
> to range of abo[u]t 30.

For the correct psychoacoustic parameters of pitch discrimination I
must refer you to a textbook of psychophysics or audiology. However, I
again have to point out that "identify" is being misused, because
identification is an absolute judgment and is not, in general,
predictable merely from a knowledge of discriminability and sensory
ratios (apart from the 7 +/- 2 rule for any given interval). [I should
also add that, because of physics (the "overtone" series, or upper
harmonics of any raw fundamental pitch) as well as physiology (of the
cochlea and the auditory representation), the octave has a privileged
status in perception, so we should probably only be considering
sub-octave subintervals in calculating our resolving capacity, relative
or absolute.] And again, high/low identifiability is predictable from
Millerian considerations alone (so is hi, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 lo), but no
more than that can be said a priori, especially if it is not known
whether or not the continuum in question is isotropic.

> As a result of my experience in music and acoustics I can tell you the
> frequency of a tone with approximately octave error i.e., factor of 2.
> This is a result of an exposure to music, not result of any training. Note
> that I don't satisfy your definition of having absolute pitch.
>
> An individual with absolute pitch can identify interval of 1.06.
> Since there is nothing absolute or natural in the concept of measuring time
> and thus frequencies, this individual MUST HAVE GONE through some training,
> or at least he must have been exposed to the same thing I was.

I can't follow you here. What is "octave error" if I present you with
440 hz? What error range will you have? Semitone? Tone? Fifth? Octave?
Also, what is the difference between exposure to music and training?
Do you mean listening only? Have you never hummed a tune? And which of
my definitions of AP do you fail to satisfy? What most people call
"relative pitch" (i.e., temporary absolute pitch while remembering a
reference tone) is a kind of (temporary) "absolute pitch" too. Do you
have that? Finally, I can't follow at all the part about the
unnaturalness of frequencies. Would you say the same of colors (i.e.,
that they must have been trained)? It seems to me it's an empirical
question which instances of categorical perception arise from
training, which from exposure, which innately, and which not at all.

> You said "it must be given its correct (arbitrary, learned) "label" or name.".
> That's crude simplification. The person under test is performing quantization.
> i.e., labeling the unknown as "nth member of N" (even the person with absolute
> pitch is going to label all frequencies from <438Hz,442Hz> as "a1").
> N=10 (my case) doesn't imply absolute pitch; N=100 does! How about N=73?
> What's the definition?

A person has (long-term) AP if he can identify (or produce) -- in
isolation, and without a reference note -- any audible pitch to within,
say, the nearest eighth-tone. There may be an additional phenomenon
of the individual who can remember (hence identify or produce in
isolation), say, an A-440 to within a jnd, and using that, can
generate all the notes in the well-tempered A-440-based system to
within a jnd using that as a reference note (consciously or
unconsciously). This potential reference-based RECODING of the entire
continuum, however, seems to me to remove part of this problem from
the arena of sensory psychophysics and into that of cognitive
representation. [Note that such a person would not have the same
resolving capacity for stimuli in an A-445-based system, i.e., all the
jnd's in-between.] Miller gave a similar example of recoding when he
showed that, in general, we can only remember a string of 7 +/- 2
digits, e.g., strings of 0's and 1's. If, however, we overlearn the
decimal names for binary strings of, say, 1 - 20, then, using those
larger, recoded "chunks," we become capable of remembering a
correspondinly longer string of binary bits. [Note that all you need
is an absolute memory for one pitch, e.g., A-440, plus relative pitch
for the well-tempered scale, plus octave invariance, to accomplish all
the rest of "perfect pitch" by recoding.]

According to the theory of categorical perception, by the way,
"quantization" consists of the "bounding" of subregions of a continuum
by compression and/or expansion of the Weber function.

> Anyway, back to my original question. We have three people here.
> 1. "musical ignorant" that clearly identifies ratio of 30.
> 2. Me, identifying ratio of 2 after some training.
> 3. Person with absolute pitch identifying ratio of 1.06 after some training.
> It's clear that (3) remembered or learned more than (2) and somebody said
> that there is an evidence that the skills of (3) are inherited.
> I'd like to know what's that evidence.

The empirical question is not settled. J & W Siegel (in several articles
in the Journal of the Acoustical Society, reviewed in the
forthcoming categorical perception book I mentioned) found that
categorical perception for pitch could be trained, but it is not clear
that what they demonstrated was the long-term version or the familiar
short-term ("relative pitch") version, or whether or not there are
individual differences in how readily or to what degree people can be
trained in this.

> >				....As long as someone is not entirely
> >deaf, some frequency discrimination must be present.
>
> Why? Seems to me that it'll depend on the actual hearing mechanism. Also,
> considering that most of the theories prefer acquisition in frequency
> domain, I would tend to disagree with your statement.

I can't follow this either. Hearing may vary in acuity for frequency
discrimination, amplitude discrimination, temporal resolution, and
verious aspects of timbre and acoustic pattern. I am just suggesting
that most people who call themselves (or are called) "tone deaf"
probably retain considerable frequency discriminative ability, and
have probably been called tone deaf either because they cannot carry or
or identify or recognize a tune, or perhaps they have demonstrated
diminished frequency discrimination. Production is clearly a different
problem from discrimination. So is tune identification and
recognition. I doubt that there is a condition (short of total
deafness) in which amplitude discrimination, etc., are relatively
spared and frequency discrimination is flat. Finally, what do you mean
"acquisition"? There are acquisition theories for identification and
categorical perception, but none that I know of for relative
discrimination, which most psychoacousticians and audiologists
consider innate, requiring, at most, some auditory exposure (i.e.,
something short of total sensory deprivation) in order to become fully
functional.
--

Stevan Harnad                                  (609) - 921 7771
{allegra, bellcore, seismo, rutgers, packard}  !princeton!mind!harnad
harnad%mind@princeton.csnet

In physics class in high school, my teacher asked if any of us
knew what tone was being produced in his demonstration of wave
phenomena.  I thought, "why not?" and came up with the correct
answer ... just as he said, "good, i hate people with perfect
pitch." ...  I explained later that I hadn't used perfect pitch,
but rather counted up from middle-C (a technique harnad mentions
in passing in a later article).  I was told that most people
with perfect pitch do in fact use this technique, either
consciously or unconsciously.  One frequency is well-remembered,
which is easier than memorizing all (perfectly-tempered) notes;
and then octaves can be easily generated and any other notes
counted.  This appears to be a learned trait.  My sister,
however, memorized my answering-machine tone by hearing me
whistle it (!@#$); and my mother recognized it as a fractional
tone (not a pure natural, sharp, or flat).  Perhaps there is
also an inherited factor.  This is all speculation, though.

The jnd is much smaller in the presence of a reference tone.
When I tune my instruments by myself, I get pretty close; but
when I tune (by ear) against other instruments simultaneously,
I can get almost perfect equality of tone.  Better than other
people, sometimes.  (Actually, I tune by trying to phase out
the "beat" frequency; but I can tell the direction and the
approximate amplitude of the difference, when others can't.)

Harnad's book sounds interesting; but I wish he would post
title and projected publication info.  That's not advertising,
that's giving a reference [;-)].
--

	Joe Yao		hadron!jsdy@seismo.{CSS.GOV,ARPA,UUCP}
			jsdy@hadron.COM (not yet domainised)

bcase@amdcad.UUCP (Brian Case) (11/12/86)

In article <3808@columbia.UUCP> zdenek@heathcliff.columbia.edu.UUCP (Zdenek Radouch) writes:
>   I'm convinced that the mechanism of absolute pitch is not understood.
>As a result of having done some work in acoustics and being an amateur
>musician for many years I know, that the ability to distinguish high and
>low frequencies depends on training.

Hmmm, I was singing at age 3, rather on pitch I might add (Lemon Tree was
one of my favorite songs).  I don't think I had much training.  I, for
one, believe that musical ability (perhaps aptitiude is a better term),
like athletic ability (aptitude), is inherited.  Now, one can certainly
choose to leave that aptitude undeveloped, but the ability to distinguish
between high and low frequencies is one that will almost certainly make
itself apparent because of the pervasiveness of music in modern life.

What I am curious about is why music is appealing to those people who
really are tone deaf!  Maybe being tone deaf doesn't necessarily mean
that one is harmony deaf?

Wait, what group is this again?  Oh, sci.med, maybe I am a little off the
track now....

salem@sri-unix.ARPA (Bruce B. Salem) (11/12/86)

	I have known people with absolute pitch and many more who are
tone deaf. I myself am neither. I taught myself to sight sing, and so have
good intervallic ear training. I do have some kind of absolute pitch memory,
for I can recall a piece on pitch, testing with written music and tuning
fork, when I don't try too hard. I believe that it is easy for me to have
absolute pitch on the piano, when I am playing alot, but very much harder
otherwise.
	In any case I carry a tuning fork around with me and use my interval
training to get pitch. I think that the practical problem of using absolute
pitch, really pitch memory, is more complicated than remembering frequency.
I`d guess that more poeple have pitch with their favorite instrument than
with a pure wave oscillator because they rely on the timbre of the instrument
to cue them as to pitch. Even I can tell the open G string on the violin.
	As for the value of absolute pitch as a musical skill, I have heard
that it is in fact not the great asset it would seem, for a person relies too
much on it and not on interval and harmony ear training which are really more
inportant most of the time.
	One must also distinguish between pitch discrimination and absolute
pitch. About 15 years I was a subject in an expeiment that was done at a
medical school that sought to test how well a listener could choose harmonic
intervals up and down and distinguish two pitches closer than a minor second.
By the way the chromatically trained ear tends to call pairs closer than
a semitone, a semitone. I could distinguish spearations of less than 5%, I
recall.

Bruce Salem

suhre@trwrb.UUCP (Maurice E. Suhre) (11/13/86)

In article <3817@columbia.UUCP> zdenek@heathcliff.columbia.edu.UUCP (Zdenek Radouch) writes:
>Anyway, back to my original question. We have three people here.
>1. "musical ignorant" that clearly identifies ratio of 30.
>2. Me, identifying ratio of 2 after some training.
>3. Person with absolute pitch identifying ratio of 1.06 after some training.
>
>It's clear that (3) remembered or learned more than (2) and somebody said
>that there is an evidence that the skills of (3) are inherited.
>I'd like to know what's that evidence.
Operating on supposition, the evidence might be that many many people learn
to play the piano.  Of those who have had lessons, very few "learn" absolute
pitch.  It would seem that if it is a learned skill, very few have the
ability to learn it.  Mine just happened.  One day I knew I could identify
notes from the piano without seeing them (or having a previous reference).

Obviously, the absolute pitch capability cannot pick out 400.132956 Hz :-)
However, someone who is good can identify pitches, and probably also
identify them as "flat" or "sharp" from the true pitch.

Finally, my ability (i.e. accuracy of determination) as declined with age.
I think it first went when I started playing in the high school band,
which seemed flat to me.

--
Maurice Suhre

{decvax,sdcrdcf,ihnp4,ucbvax}!trwrb!suhre

anderson@uwmacc.UUCP (Jess Anderson) (11/13/86)

Radouch and especially Harnad have been giving us the technical lowdown
on so-called tone-deafness (I do not believe it exists), pitch discrimination,
and allied topics. As always, very useful and illuminating. I'll try to
add something, since I have some relevant experience. As a freshman in
college (you don't want to know when! :-), I entered the School of Music
(Urbana). We were given very extensive hearing/apptitude tests. On the
basis of the test, the new freshpersons with "perfect" pitch were all
(about 16) placed in a special theory class and taught by the theory chair,
a composer named Gordon Binkerd. I most assuredly do not have perfect pitch,
but I had three jobs, and this special class was the only one I could fit
into my schedule. That meant that the instructor and I were the only ones
in there who did *not* have perfect pitch. For sight-singing we did
madrigals by Gesualdo the first day; rather a large challenge. Among other
things, from this atypical experience I got fairly good relative pitch
(interval recognition) fairly quickly (one has to survive :-). While I am
a great believer (word used advisedly) in talent and innate abilities,
I think we've been making too much of the matter here. While there are
people who have almost no trouble finding the correct label for what they
hear, I think it's 99.9% a matter of training *in hearing* (this is my
big point!). As for one's ability to differentiate two adjacent tones,
Zdenek may have the right ratios. According to what I've learned and
directly experienced the resolution of the ear seems to be in the
neighborhood of 4/100 of a semitone. BTW, now that I'm a harpsichordist
for a longish time and have had to tune instruments countless times,
my ear is somewhat better than it used to be. "Out of tune" is how
I'd characterize almost all performances (shockingly, most recordings!).
Finally, there are A's and there are A's -- that's a pitch that can be
anywhere from 385 Hz to 448 Hz. Since I usually tune to 415, most
people's A is my B-flat, and the first thing that annoys me about hearing
Baroque music on modern instruments is that it's all too high and
piercing. Last of all (promise), is sci.med the place for this? Of
course, the medical community are among the more ardent amateurs (root
sense) of music, and the hearing questions are to a degree matters of
physiology, but are our *musicians* tuned in? --- Sorry to run on at
such length.
--
==ARPA:====================anderson@unix.macc.wisc.edu===Jess Anderson======
| UUCP: {harvard,seismo,topaz,                           1210 W. Dayton    |

zdenek@heathcliff.columbia.edu (Zdenek Radouch) (11/14/86)

Since the discussion is somewhat digressing from medicine I am going to post
my replies to Matt Fichtenbaum and Stevan Harnad to sci.misc.

zdenek

 zdenek@cs.columbia.edu  or 	...!seismo!columbia!cs!zdenek

artm@phred.UUCP (Art Marriott) (11/14/86)

In article <510@sri-unix.ARPA> salem@sri-unix.UUCP (Bruce B. Salem) writes:

>	As for the value of absolute pitch as a musical skill, I have heard
>that it is in fact not the great asset it would seem, for a person relies too
>much on it and not on interval and harmony ear training which are really more
>inportant most of the time.

In addition, someone with absolute pitch tends to get VERY irritated when
forced to deal with an out-of-tune instrument that can't be retuned immediately
i. e. a piano or organ (or an extremely stubborn singing group!).  Then not
only is absolute pitch not an asset, it's a bloody curse!

It's my personal impression that absolute pitch perception is a (learned)
special case of relative pitch.  I'm pretty sure I determine pitch by
having the sound of middle C on the piano firmly committed to memory and
figuring the interval of a given note relative to this mental reference.
I'm also involved in a choir on an intermittent basis, and I'm certain that
my pitch judgement is better when I'm singing regularly and deteriorates
when I'm not.

                                                Art Marriott
                                                tikal!phred!artm

My opinions are strictly my own, in case anyone actually cares.

mwg@bellcore.UUCP (Mark Garrett) (11/18/86)

++
> 1. Human ear can identify the ratio 1.0006. This is my estimate, comments
>    welcome.
> 2. The distance between two closest tones in western musical system
>    (12 notes per octave) is 1.06.
> 3. The octave has ratio of 2.
>
> An individual with absolute pitch can identify interval of 1.06.
>
> zdenek

I think it must be higher precision than that.  I've heard that
people with perfect pitch can notice the fact that some orchestras
(Boston Symphony?) tune to A = 444 Hz, instead of 440 Hz to get
a brighter tone.  They perceive the music as being somehow off-key.
This gives a resolution of at least 1.009.

-Mark Garrett