[sci.med] foot pain and orthotics

rissa@chinet.UUCP (Garret and Trish) (11/16/86)

Has anybody tried or does anybody have any information on "otc"
foot orthotic impression kits?  The ones offered through catalogs --
as opposed to the kind (maybe there's no difference?) your doctor
might use.

The catalog I have is from The Sporting Edge.  They offer to send
you the impression kit for $19.95 which you are then supposed to
send to the American Orthotic Laboratory who will send you these
little plastic instep things for your shoes (in exchange for
$59.95).

Do these things work?  Is the AO Lab legit?  Has anybody had any
experience with orthotics?

Thank you.

Trisha (my doctor wants to charge me $400 for what looks to be the
same exact thing that's in this catalog) O Tuama

jin@hropus.UUCP (Jerry Natowitz) (11/17/86)

I am on my second pair of custom made orthotics.  I used the first pair
for over 5 years, that was probably 2 years too long.  The main draw-
back to self impressed orthotics is that the function of the orthotic
is not just to conform to the contours of your feet, it is to redistribute
the impact over the proper area for your anatomy, running and walking
style.
I have already had my Sporthotics adjusted once and the Podiatrist
predicts a few more visits to balance the stress properly.  All covered
by her $275 fee.  Over the month I have has these the knee pains I started
having when I started a rigorous exercise program have almost completely
vanished.  Can't give the orthotics full credit, strengthening the quads
and abductors also helped stabilize my knee.  I can now do over 100 flights
on the Stairmaster in one workout!
--
     Jerry Natowitz (HASA - J division)
     Bell Labs - HR 2A-214

andrea@hp-sdd.HP.COM (Andrea K. Frankel) (11/20/86)

In article <773@chinet.UUCP> rissa@chinet.UUCP (Garret and Trish) writes:

>Has anybody tried or does anybody have any information on "otc"
>foot orthotic impression kits?  The ones offered through catalogs --
>as opposed to the kind (maybe there's no difference?) your doctor
>might use.

>Trisha (my doctor wants to charge me $400 for what looks to be the
>same exact thing that's in this catalog) O Tuama

I've seen writeups of people who have had experience with them, and it
appears that if you really need orthotics, you're better off without
than with the wrong ones.  It doesn't take much of a mistake to throw
off your stance or heel strike pattern enough to cause ankle pain,
knee pain, back pain, and all kinds of secondary stresses in the body.

The doctor I went to for orthotics (a podiatrist) did more than the
foot impression kit - that's just to know how to fit the orthotic to
your foot, it tells them nothing about what to correct or how.  He
taped about a dozen electrodes to my feet and had me walk up and down
the hallway; the multitrace readout shows exactly what hits when,
so that an incorrect strike pattern can be corrected.  He also
videotaped me running on a treadmill, and watched it several times
in slow motion and stop-frame, to identify what was going on.  Only
then could he define the orthotic that would help me.

The results were impressive:  not only did I have no more ankle, arch,
or knee pain while wearing them (for walking, aerobics, or
anything), but my entire back is more relaxed and less painful
when I wear them for several days straight.  (and the kneebone's
connected to the thighbone, and the thighbone's connected to the...)

The above custom orthotics, including the office visit to figure out
what to get, cost $300 a few years ago, so the $400 your doctor wants
probably isn't out of line.  I'd suggest you talk to him about (a) what
he does to determine the orthotic correction, and (b) what it can do for
you (what you'll get out of it).  If you don't have significant problems
with your back/legs/feet, you'd probably be better off just getting a
decent pair of shoes than using the catalog-order orthotics!

Andrea Frankel, Hewlett-Packard (San Diego Division) (619) 592-4664
 "every time that wheel goes round, bound to cover just a little more ground"
UUCP  : {hplabs|hp-pcd|hpfcla|hpda|noscvax|gould9|sdcsvax}!hp-sdd!andrea
UUCP  : {cbosgd|allegra|decvax|gatech|sun|tektronix}!hplabs!hp-sdd!andrea
ARPA  : hp-sdd!andrea@nosc.arpa
CSNET : hp-sdd!andrea@hplabs.csnet
USnail: 16399 W. Bernardo Drive, San Diego CA 92127-1899 USA