Our medical department is giving
free flu shots tomorrow. Could someone
give me some advice on whether or not
I should get one?

Thanks,
Pam Foley (mhuxt!pfoley)

suhre@trwrb.UUCP (Maurice E. Suhre) (11/21/86)

In article <1289@mhuxt.UUCP> pfoley@mhuxt.UUCP (foley) writes:
>Our medical department is giving free flu shots tomorrow. Could someone
>give me some advice on whether or not I should get one?

When I started with the allergist in 1974, he recommended flu shots.
I told him that I thought that they weren't much good because the flu
virus had mutated by the time it came around and didn't match the
shot.  He countered with yes, but if it hasn't mutated too much
the shot would provide some protection.

This argument seemed good to me.  If a flu shot would merely reduce
the *severity* of the illness, that would be enough reason.  So I
started getting them.  I haven't had the flu since, but that doesn't
prove a thing.  I've only had it about every 10 years or so.

There may be a problem with allergic reactions (eggs or chicken
feathers.  Got to do with where the virus is grown).

Usual disclaimers.  Just opinions and experience.
--
Maurice Suhre

{decvax,sdcrdcf,ihnp4,ucbvax}!trwrb!suhre