[sci.med] info wanted about research pgms. to make paraplegics walk

orr@instable.UUCP (Orr Michael ) (11/18/86)

    I have heard about research programs to try & make paraplegics
walk again by electrical stimulation of the muscles.

	I wolud greatly appreciate any information about such programs:
where, who to contact, status,  etc.

										Thanks in advance,
												Michael Orr.
orr%nsta@nsc.UUCP   ==  ...!hplabs!pyramid!nsc!nsta!orr
--
                                                       Michael Orr.
orr%nsta@nsc.UUCP

Disclaimer: Opinions, come home. All is forgiven. Papa.

darragh@calgary.UUCP (John Darragh) (11/22/86)

In article <517@instable.UUCP>, orr@instable.UUCP (Orr Michael ) writes:

>     I have heard about research programs to try & make paraplegics
> walk again by electrical stimulation of the muscles.
>
> 	I wolud greatly appreciate any information about such programs:
> where, who to contact, status,  etc.
>
>	Thanks in advance,
>			Michael Orr.

First for some background and general information:

o  I am a volunteer advocate of Spinal Cord Cure research and am an active
   member of the Spinal Cord Society (SCS).

o  SCS has been funding ground breaking Spinal Cord Cure research targeted
   at finding a BIOLOGICAL cure for CHRONIC spinal cord injuries, including
   leading edge work on Functional Electrical Stimulation (FES) at Case
   Western Reserve University and the Cleveland VA Medical Center [1].
   Completely paralyzed human subjects in clinical trials are now able to
   walk, climb stairs, and achieve balance via computerized FES.  This
   joint FES program is likely to expand from a current 40 patients [2].

o  Researchers at over a dozen centers around the world are actively
   involved in clinical FES research projects with the ultimate goal of
   providing increased mobility for paraplegics and hemiplegics and/or hand
   forearm control for quadra-plegics [3].  This work has been going on for
   over 20 years.  SCS flushed it out of the weeds in 1982.

o  Clinical research projects using implanted electrode and multichannel
   stimulators likely to permit stable, selective control of several
   individual muscles are in only the early stages of development [3].

o  Commercially available devices to provide patients with control or
   mobility of a paralyzed limb are now limited to the correction of foot
   drop [3].  Within a few years, possibly as little as three, a
   functional, marketable, prothesis will be widely available [4].  Work
   toward a commercial FES system using specialized clothing with embedded
   surface electrodes (nick-named "hot pants") has been going on at Wright
   State Univ. under Dr. Petrosky, however, rumour has it that he has left
   there for California.

o  In lieu of an organic cure this approach can allow (within the near
   future) limited degrees of walking mobility.  It is also good therapy in
   that it maintains muscle bulk and tone in denervated muscles [2].  The
   physical and psychological benefits are obvious.

o  FES systems are not cures, they are experimental neural prothetics.  Not
   all paraplegics are suitable FES candidates.

o  A good general primer on FES can be found in [5].  A good general
   overview of the Spinal Cord Society can be found in [6].

Here is a sampling of where FES research is being done [7]:

Veterans Administration Medical Center and Case Western Reserve University,
   Cleveland, Ohio USA  44106

Rancho Los Amigos Rehabilitation Engineering Center, Rancho Los Amigos
   Hospital, 7601 East Imperial Highway, Downey, California, USA  90242

Faculty of Electrical Engineering, Institute of Clinical Neurophysiology,
   Rehabilitation Institute of Ljubljana and Jozef Stefan Institute, Edvard
   Kardelj University, Ljubljana, Yugoslavia

Bioengineering Laboratory, 2nd Surgical Clinic and Institute for Physical
   Medicine, Vienna University, A 1090 Vienna, Van Swiete-Gasse 1, Austria

   As for who to contact, there are literally dozens of researchers active
in this research area, but I hesitate to broadcast names for two reasons:
(1) you should be aware that these people are clinical researchers, not
people ready to sell you a FES "cure" for paraplegia, and (2) they are busy
doing research and don't have a lot of time to respond personally to
inquires.

   Instead, I suggest that you contact the Spinal Cord Society and join in
the quest for a total biological cure.  FES is just one component of the
SCS Program for Cure.  SCS membership is $24 and worth it for the highly
informative monthly newsletter which highlights recent cure research
progress.  Recent research results have been extremely encouraging [8].

   The SCS research program is directed by a highly qualified panel of
consulting physicians and scientists.  At last count, SCS had 16 spinal
cord regeneration research projects underway, conducted under contract by
top neuroscientists in leading research labs around the world.

   SCS believes that it has the surest, shortest route to cure for chronic
spinal cord injuries.  Their Program for Cure is succeeding, and
accelerating; more funding support is required.

   If you plan to contribute to Spinal Cord Cure research, consider the
Spinal Cord Society, where 100% of your tax deductible research donation
goes directly to highly targeted and competent research.

   If you are inclined to make a donation, the SCS Canada charity
registration number is 0688135-11-20, SCS in the U.S. is a non-profit 501-
c-3 organization, IRS #41-1358594.  Tax deductible donations can be sent to
the address below, or to:

                   SCS Headquarters, 2410 Lakeview Drive
                   Fergus Falls, Minnesota US  56537

   For more information on the Spinal Cord Society, contact SCS founder and
president Dr. Charlse Carson in Minnesota at (218) 739-5252 or (218) 739-
5261, Ray Wickson in Toronto at (416) 833-0984, or call me in Calgary at
(403) 283-4219.  Please direct written inquiries to Fergus Falls.

   If an interest is expressed I will post an article describing the Spinal
Cord Society's Program for Cure.