[sci.med] Dreams as a reaction

throopw@dg_rtp.UUCP (Wayne Throop) (12/06/86)

(Note: sci.med added to the newsgroups line.)

> lotto@wjh12.UUCP (Jerry Lotto)
> I seem to remember that the time scale for a dream is much faster than
> reality. Perhaps the ENTIRE dream can be a reaction to a particular
> external stimulus?

This is a popular mythology surrounding dreams that incorporate "real
world" events, to be sure, but it is not well substantiated.  In fact, I
recall some research reported in Science News a coupla years ago that
indicated that dreams happen in more-or-less real time, not faster.
This basic method (if I remember correctly) was to let people sleep, and
annoy them after they had experienced various amounts of REM sleep. The
ammount of time spent in REM corresponded closely to the ammount of time
that the dream "seemed to take" when they were prodded awake and asked
about what was going on.

> Furthermore, I believe that you are not able to
> move during a dream (assuming that the duration is a fraction of a
> second or so. I am shakey on the detail here, will experts please
> comment?).

I'm no expert, but (I think from the same source) studies show that in
REM sleep, one is indeed paralyzed and CANNOT move.  Some intermediate
sleep states bordering on REM are what tend to promote the "cannot move
and danger approaching" or "stuck in molassas" type dreams that many
folks experience.  Once the chemical nature of this suppression was
known, it was artificially prevented in cats, which then thrashed around
during REM sleep, as if they were really running, jumping, playing, or
whatever cats dream about, but with no co-ordination with the real
world.  So, your body is paralyzed in dream-state sleep so that you
don't thrash around and hurt yourself.

I think a good explanation of why external events are incorporated in
dreams is a retroactive one.  That is, the event is fit into some
existing situation after it is perceived, and the situation it is fit
into may actually be out-of-time-sequence, that is, may be a while
pastwards in dream-time.

Making this explanation a little more plausible, for the specific
example of sounds, I recall studies (again, Science News is my best
guess as to where I read it) showing that people tend to be unable to
tell whether nearly-simultaneous events, one a sound and another
something else, were really simultaneous, or which one really came first
if not.  Instead, the sound was fit into the perceived timestream where
it "made sense", not where it "really" occured.  This may be an inbred
feature, rather than an inability, perhaps developed to allow a creature
to associate a sound with a sight despite the propogation delay of sound
displacing the events slightly.  Thus, we perceive a hammer strike and
the sound as simultaneous until they are quite far displaced by
distance, and early "talkie" movie soundtracks could afford to be a
little sloppy in sound synchronization and still be perceived as being
in time with the action.

Of course, I am spinning a large speculation on few facts, but I think
it is plausible.  The "facts" I take to be: first that dream-time is not
very much faster than wake-time... one can't fit much more than a minute
of subjective dream-time into a minute of actual sleep, and second that
in terms of sound especially "simultenaity" and relative order of events
can't be reliably perceived.

--
We may not always be right; but, by God, we're never wrong.
                                --- General Wombat

ins_amap@jhunix.UUCP (Mark Aden Poling) (12/08/86)

In article <733@dg_rtp.UUCP>, throopw@dg_rtp.UUCP (Wayne Throop) writes:
> > Furthermore, I believe that you are not able to
> > move during a dream (assuming that the duration is a fraction of a
> > second or so. I am shakey on the detail here, will experts please
> > comment?).

> (Cites a study showing that cats are partially paralysed during sleep.)
> So, your body is paralyzed in dream-state sleep so that you
> don't thrash around and hurt yourself.

	I've heard basically the same things before, but they don't explain
a recent incident that happened to me.  In a dream I was fighting somebody,
and in the manner of dreams things weren't going so well.  I wasn't being
hurt, but neither was I doing anything much against my antagonist.  In the
dream this was very frustrating, so finally I decided to put everything I had
into one right cross.  The outcome was predictable.  I awoke in great pain,
and now have a nice little scar on one of my nuckles.  Fortunately there was
a board behind the part of wall I hit, so all I had to worry about at the
time was my hand.  However, the incident does create an interesting problem
in my social life.  The wall-punching dream has only happened once, but
I'm not sure how I'll fell about sleeping with anyone for a while.  As if the
resurgence of American morals wasn't enough :-).

	Be that as it may, does anyone want to have a crack at explaining
why I've got this little scar on my hand?

								mark @ hopkins

dsn@mimsy.UUCP (Dana S. Nau) (12/14/86)

In article <4101@jhunix.UUCP> ins_amap@jhunix.UUCP (Mark Aden Poling) writes:
>In article <733@dg_rtp.UUCP>, throopw@dg_rtp.UUCP (Wayne Throop) writes:
>> (Cites a study showing that cats are partially paralysed during sleep.)
>> So, your body is paralyzed in dream-state sleep so that you
>> don't thrash around and hurt yourself.
>>

>	I've heard basically the same things before, but they don't explain
>a recent incident that happened to me.  ... I awoke in great pain,
>and now have a nice little scar on one of my nuckles.

On the other hand, it might help to explain an experience I had about ten
years ago which has been a source of great puzzlement to me:

In the middle of the night, I sort of woke up half way.  My eyes were open,
and I could see the wall of my room, but I was hearing music in my head, the
way I do when I dream--and I couldn't move.  At first, this intrigued
me--but then I got scared.  I tried hard to move, but still couldn't.  Then,
suddenly, I was completely awake:  the music was gone, and I could move.

If anyone knows of any studies that might explain this, I'd like to see them.
--

Dana S. Nau,  Comp. Sci. Dept.,  U. of Maryland,  College Park,  MD 20742
dsn@mimsy.umd.edu	seismo!mimsy!dsn		(301) 454-7932

clewis@spectrix.UUCP (Chris Lewis) (12/15/86)

In article <4734@mimsy.UUCP> dsn@mimsy.UUCP (Dana S. Nau) writes:
>In article <4101@jhunix.UUCP> ins_amap@jhunix.UUCP (Mark Aden Poling) writes:
>>In article <733@dg_rtp.UUCP>, throopw@dg_rtp.UUCP (Wayne Throop) writes:
>>> (Cites a study showing that cats are partially paralysed during sleep.)
>>> So, your body is paralyzed in dream-state sleep so that you
>>> don't thrash around and hurt yourself.
>In the middle of the night, I sort of woke up half way.  My eyes were open,
>and I could see the wall of my room, but I was hearing music in my head, the
>way I do when I dream--and I couldn't move.  At first, this intrigued
>me--but then I got scared.  I tried hard to move, but still couldn't.  Then,
>suddenly, I was completely awake:  the music was gone, and I could move.
>
>If anyone knows of any studies that might explain this, I'd like to see them.

Me too.

I've had experiences very much like this, starting the night I had my
tonsils removed (22 years ago?).  Usually when I'm very tired and am trying
to get to sleep, say about 30 minutes after going to bed, but not having
much success, I experience something wierd.  The first couple of years
it was the sense of having the room expand and feeling sort of an "out of
body" feeling - looking back at myself.  The last 5 years or so, it's been
sort of like the above without the music - I recall sort of a "humming" in
my head - sounding like having an overloaded 60Hz transformer against my
ear - complete with vibration.  Not particularly  scary, except the first
couple of times when I tried to move and found I couldn't.  Now I just
relax and after a while I can move.  Used to happen a couple of times per
week.  Now it's sort of settled down to a couple of times per year.

Described it to a TM teacher once who said it sounded a whole heck of a lot
like the TM meditation state without the "direction" of trained meditation.
He was right.  It is.  And TM is easier on the nerves because you're expecting
it.

It has never been associated with dreaming though.  That I know of.  Then
again, I hardly ever remember having dreams anyways.

Got a wierd brain I guess.  Have never been particularly scared of it when
awake - I was too young when it first happened to worry about it.  Since
then I've got independent evidence that I'm crazy... :-)
--
Chris Lewis, Spectrix Microsystems Inc,
UUCP: {utzoo|utcs|yetti|genat|seismo}!mnetor!spectrix!clewis

throopw@dg_rtp.UUCP (Wayne Throop) (12/16/86)

> ins_amap@jhunix.UUCP (Mark Aden Poling)
>> throopw@dg_rtp.UUCP (Wayne Throop)

>> (Cites a study showing that cats are partially paralysed during sleep.)
(actually only during REM sleep...)

>> So, your body is paralyzed in dream-state sleep so that you
>> don't thrash around and hurt yourself.
>         I've heard basically the same things before, but they don't explain
> a recent incident that happened to me.  In a dream I was fighting somebody,
> [...]I awoke in great pain,
> and now have a nice little scar on one of my nuckles.
>         does anyone want to have a crack at explaining
> why I've got this little scar on my hand?

I've had similar experiences, and explain them to myself this way.
These situations happen when the dream state lasts longer than the
paralyzed state, and are fairly rare.  Usually, one stops dreaming
before the paralysis wears off.  But if the dream is particularly vivid,
frightening, or whatever, one can get to a confused, near-awake state
before the paralysis wears off, and the confusion in turn lasts until
after the paralysis has worn off.  Then, before the "real" situation has
had a chance to establish itself, and still acting in the dream
situation, you "feel" the fading paralysis, work this into the dream
situation, fight to overcome it, suceed and... blammo, punch the
nightstand, twitch violently as you hit bottom in a falling or running
dream, scream out a warning you couldn't get out when trapped in
molasses, or whatever.

--
Like punning, programming is a play on words.
                                --- Alan J. Perlis

bzs@bu-cs.BU.EDU (Barry Shein) (12/16/86)

>I recall sort of a "humming" in
>my head - sounding like having an overloaded 60Hz transformer against my
>ear - complete with vibration.

My first inclination was to skip this as a lot of idle chatter but yes,
I've had precisely the same experience when falling asleep, interesting.

	-Barry Shein, Boston University

In article <2956@bu-cs.BU.EDU> bzs@bu-cs.BU.EDU (Barry Shein) writes:

>>I recall sort of a "humming" in
>>my head - sounding like having an overloaded 60Hz transformer against my
>>ear - complete with vibration.
>
>My first inclination was to skip this as a lot of idle chatter but yes,
>I've had precisely the same experience when falling asleep, interesting.
>
>	-Barry Shein, Boston University

Maybe it's an occupational disorder caused by falling asleep while leaning
against the computer equipment too many times?  8-)

sierchio@milano.UUCP (12/30/86)

I wouldn't want you guys to incriminate yerselves, but have you noticed the
humming (regular rhythm, freq. unk.) associated with the use of Nitrous
Oxide?  Not in the therapeutic setting, rather, via Balloon?

"over all, there is a odour of frying onions..."

		-- William James

--

	Michael Sierchio @ MCC Software Technology Program

	UUCP:	ut-sally!im4u!milano!sierchio
	ARPA:	sierchio@mcc.ARPA

	THE OPINIONS EXPRESSED AREN'T NECESSARILY.

daver@sci.UUCP (Dave Rickel) (12/31/86)

It's been a while since i've been exposed to nitrous oxide in sufficient
quantities to get a buzz, so i might be misremembering.  Things i've noticed
are sound distortion (someone seems to have turned up the bass), some
interference with muscular control (the feedback system seemed to be munged
somewhat--this might be related to the next effect), and a bit of time
distortion.  oh yes.  also a tendency to laugh at stupid things.  and a
prickling of the skin.  the effects seemed to be somewhat cumulative--it took
longer to get back to normal as the evening wore on (the obvious effects
went away in about the same period of time, but it took longer for my
balance to return to normal).

I've no idea as to what causes any of these effects, or whether they are
common.

david rickel
cae780!weitek!sci!daver

jjc@teddy.UUCP (Jean J. Cote) (01/05/87)

Someone I knew once inhaled some nitrous oxide for recreational purposes
and heard the humming sound that has been mentioned. He was quite
surprised, as he had previously thought that it was the sound of the
dentist's drill.