[sci.med] Try choline and B6 for increased acetylcholine production

macleod@drivax.UUCP (MacLeod) (01/16/88)

In article <506@dl901b.engin.umich.edu> schonek@caen.engin.umich.edu (Anthony J Schonek) writes:

: I am curious about "Acetylcholine."  Supposedly
:it is a chemical in the brain that stimulates memory
:response.  (I'm not a biologis/doctor so please excuse
:the ignorance)  Anyway, does this actually stimulate
:memory response; and in what forms could this chemical
:be purchased in order to perform the desired effects.
:I heard fish and liver contain this chemical, but is
:there a drug that would be more efficient?

For starters, you can try saturating your own acetylcholine-creating
metabolism by taking supplementary choline and vitamin B6, both used
in its production.  I find that taking 3 grams of choline (not lecithin,
which is only part choline) improves my writing ability fractionally and
seems to keep me more alert, both effects attributable to acetylcholine.

Take phosphedtyl (spelling?) choline, not choline chloride, as the latter
can sometimes upset your GI tract.  Also take 100 mg or B6 for each gm
of choline.  Balanced B complex seems to work better than straight B6.

I endorse Vitamin Research Products for all such supplements, and I even
make and encapsulate my own.  They have a nationwide 800 number and
a California 800 number, and are located in Mountain View, CA.  I
also hear that they are in the process of coming out with a wide array of
formulations based on and approved by Durk Pearson and Sandy Shaw.

This advice is soley for supplementing your diet and not for any
tratment of disease. (FDA disclaimer)

werner@aecom.YU.EDU (Craig Werner) (01/19/88)

In article <2955@drivax.UUCP>, macleod@drivax.UUCP (MacLeod) writes:

> in its production.  I find that taking 3 grams of choline (not lecithin,
> which is only part choline) improves my writing ability fractionally and
>
> Take phosphedtyl (spelling?) choline, not choline chloride, as the latter
> can sometimes upset your GI tract.

	I found the above amusing.  First Macleod says take choline, not
Lethicin (which is only part choline), then he says to take phosphatidyl
choline, because choline chloride upsets the stomach.
	Well, suprise, suprise.  Phosphatidyl choline IS Lethicin.
	So the way I read the posting is "take choline rather than
lethicin, but it might be better to take lethicin rather than Choline."
Ergo, take the advice with a grain of salt (preferable a calcium salt,
which would be better for you in the long run.)

--
	        Craig Werner   (future MD/PhD, 3 years down, 4 to go)
	     werner@aecom.YU.EDU -- Albert Einstein College of Medicine

pamp@bcsaic.UUCP (Wagener) (01/21/88)

In article <2955@drivax.UUCP> macleod@drivax.UUCP (MacLeod) writes:
>In article <506@dl901b.engin.umich.edu> schonek@caen.engin.umich.edu (Anthony J Schonek) writes:

:: I am curious about "Acetylcholine."  Supposedly
;:it is a chemical in the brain that stimulates memory
::I heard fish and liver contain this chemical, but is
::there a drug that would be more efficient?

:For starters, you can try saturating your own acetylcholine-creating
;metabolism by taking supplementary choline and vitamin B6, both used
;in its production.  I find that taking 3 grams of choline (not lecithin,
;which is only part choline) improves my writing ability fractionally and
;seems to keep me more alert, both effects attributable to acetylcholine.

;Take phosphedtyl (spelling?) choline, not choline chloride, as the latter
;can sometimes upset your GI tract.  Also take 100 mg or B6 for each gm
;of choline.  Balanced B complex seems to work better than straight B6.

iBEWARE!!! B6 should not be taken in large doses (> 50mg/day) there
are documented cases of it causing nerve damage. (Science News ,1986 or
so I don't have access to it right now.) Please be careful when taking
vitamins. More is not always better with them.

P.M.Pincha-Wagener

geb@cadre.dsl.PITTSBURGH.EDU (Gordon E. Banks) (01/23/88)

In article <2955@drivax.UUCP> macleod@drivax.UUCP (MacLeod) writes:

>Take phosphedtyl (spelling?) choline, not choline chloride, as the latter
>can sometimes upset your GI tract.  Also take 100 mg or B6 for each gm
>of choline.  Balanced B complex seems to work better than straight B6.

Hold on a minute son, B6 (pyridoxine) can cause peripheral neuropathy
in the quantities you are recommending.  I highly recommend that readers
of this net DO NOT take any pyridoxine unless it is precribed by their
physicians.  It can also cause trouble for people with Parkinson's Disease.