[sci.med] Why I hate the Mac, and can you help me with that ...

werner@aecom.YU.EDU (Craig Werner) (12/12/88)

	Ignoring for the fact any design details, let me explain that I am
one of approximately 3% of the population who can see the flicker on a normal
display.  This is not a big deal with white lettering on a black background
(or any color lettering on a black background), but it is mind-bogglingly
annoying whenever the background is light.
	Does anyone know of anyway to adjust the Mac to get white letters on
a black background (I can get the black desktop, but you can't do much with
black letters on a black desktop)  Otherwise, working on the Mac, which
has to be done, is plainly speaking, and for no other reason, sheer hell.
--
	        Craig Werner   (future MD/PhD, 4 years down, 3 to go)
	     werner@aecom.YU.EDU -- Albert Einstein College of Medicine

folta@tove.umd.edu (Wayne Folta) (12/12/88)

I seem to remember that CloseView (bundled in System 6.0 and later) not
only allows you to magnify the screen, but also switch to white on
black.  Anyone else know if this is correct?  (My manual is at home).

Wayne Folta          (folta@tove.umd.edu  128.8.128.42)

carl@aoa.UUCP (Carl Witthoft) (12/13/88)

In article <2075@aecom.YU.EDU> werner@aecom.YU.EDU (Craig Werner) writes:

>	Ignoring for the fact any design details, let me explain that I am
>one of approximately 3% of the population who can see the flicker on a normal
>display.  This is not a big deal with white lettering on a black background
>(or any color lettering on a black background), but it is mind-bogglingly
>annoying whenever the background is light.
[asked what to do about MacIntosh]
Well, at the risk of looking foolish asking how you tested this: did you
try using the Mac without any 60Hz light sources nearby? Occasionally, the
combination of intensity flicker from lights (reflected off Mac) and the
internal raster aggravates the situation. Also, you might try working with
the screen quite dim, so the contrast isn't so high, which means the
smaller contrast caused by raster is less noticeable.
Good luck.
If anyone out there writes a patch to System6.0* for Macs which inverts
the application screens, I'd be interested for curiosity's sake.

--

Alix' Dad ( Carl Witthoft @ Adaptive Optics Associates)
" Axis-navigo, ergo sum."