[sci.med] Basic Embryology

kaldis@topaz.rutgers.edu (Theodore A. Kaldis) (04/02/89)

In article <UYBJL6y00Xc4Q2l1If@andrew.cmu.edu> jb28+@andrew.cmu.edu (Jeffrey Joseph Barbose) writes:

> Mark,

> I still insist that the ovum contains only half the number of chromosomes
> _necessary_ for the emergence of a new individual.  You quote:

>> The sperm has 23 chromosomes, one from each pair in the father.
>>    But the egg still has 46 chromosomes (both members of each

From what I remember when we studied this in high school biology class
(20 years ago), this is not the case.  The egg, like the sperm, only
has 23 chromosomes -- half the number required.  Aren't there any
experts out there on the net who can clear this up?

I have expanded distribution to include sci.bio and sci.med.
Followups are directed to talk.abortion, from where this message
originated.
--
              Theodore A. Kaldis                      |  "Perhaps we may
              +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-                      |   frighten away