[sci.med] Conductive Dust Bunnies

gst@gnosys.UUCP (Gary S. Trujillo) (07/03/89)

In article <600@aablue.UUCP> jb@aablue.UUCP (John B Scalia) writes:
> None of this stuff is really toxic or dangerous. All of it is rather
> stable. If you're really concerned about how healthy it is to be around
> it, ask about getting a copy of any relevant Material Safety Data Sheets,
> MSDS for short, on every applicable component in your copier...

Well, I recall a news story on National Public Radio's "All Things Considered"
program a number of years back (it might have been as long ago as 8-9) wherein
their environmental reporter Daniel Zwerdling looked at possible health hazards
of prolonged exposure to the environment immediately around conventional copying
machines.  I've forgotten the details, but I believe the upshot of the story was
that there were various kinds of dangers, and many people who spend a lot of
time copying have unusually high rates of various kinds of health problems.

> The manufacturer/distributor is required by law to make these available to
> you, and your employer must allow you access to these forms, again by law.

Personally, looking at the record, I tend not to be especially confident of
the kinds of minimal standards devised by federal regulatory agencies.

> ... reading these things [MSDS forms] and making some sense out of them
> is another matter.

Amen.

[N.B.: I am cross-posting this article to sci.med and sci.environment,
in hopes that someone in one of those newsgroups might have more accurate
information.  Also, I have vectored the followup off to sci.med, thinking
that to be a more appropriate place for followup discussion (in the absence
of a newsgroup specifically relating to health risks and issues).]
--
Gary S. Trujillo			      {linus,bbn,m2c}!spdcc!gnosys!gst
Somerville, Massachusetts		     {icus,ima,stech,wjh12}!gnosys!gst