[net.sf-lovers] Remakes

boyajian@akov68.DEC (Jerry Boyajian) (10/19/84)

> From: FIRTH@TL-20B.ARPA

> Will they remake The Day The Earth Stood Still?
>
> Of course they will!  After all, they remade Lost Horizon into a
> musical; they remade The Blue Lagoon into a skin flick; they even
> remade King Kong into a hairy horrible DISASTER.
>
> There is NO limit to the utter nerdishness of these people.

On the other hand, the remakes of both THE THING and INVASION
OF THE BODY SNATCHERS were, in their own ways, reasonably good
(and different) movies. Some later versions of DRACULA are better
(in my opinion) than the Tod Browning film. And (to go slightly
off the sf track) there had been a few earlier film versions of
THE THREE MUSKETEERS than Richard Lester's, but his two films
are, as far as I'm concerned, the best costume-drama/adventure
films ever made. And the John Huston/Humphrey Bogart THE MALTESE
FALCON was also a remake. And don't forget GREYSTOKE, which despite
its faults, is better than most of the many previous Tarzan movies.

While I question the need for a remake of THE DAY THE EARTH STOOD
STILL, it's quite possible that with some creative people in
control, it could turn out to be a decent product. Let's not rant
and rave about "them" until we find out who "they" are.

--- jayembee (Jerry Boyajian, DEC, Maynard, MA)

UUCP:	{decvax|ihnp4|allegra|ucbvax|...}!decwrl!dec-rhea!dec-akov68!boyajian
ARPA:	boyajian%akov68.DEC@DECWRL.ARPA