[sci.med] That bloated feeling

sadeghi@oxy.edu (Behnam Sadeghi) (12/08/89)

Hi,
Does the amount of solute oxygen in water make any significant difference
in the rate of the decomposition of a dead human body submerged in water?
Another question:  Does the level of salt concentration in water affect
the solublity of oxygen in water in any significant way?
Thanks a lot,
Behnam Sadeghi

Box 665, Occidental College, Los Angeles, Ca, 90041.   (213) 258-7085

In article <66666@tiger.oxy.edu>, sadeghi@oxy.edu (Behnam Sadeghi) writes:
> Does the amount of solute oxygen in water make any significant difference
> in the rate of the decomposition of a dead human body submerged in water?

	In general, the amount of dissolved oxygen (DO) has no significant
effect upon the rate of decomposition of a submerged cadaver.

	Other factors pertaining to water, however, do effect the rate of
decomposition:

1.	Temperature is an obvious factor, with lower temperatures retarding
	the rate of decomposition; as water temperature approaches 0 deg C
	(as in deep lake waters), decomposition through "conventional"
	bacterial putrefaction is virtually halted.

2.	In general, a cadaver decomposes at a slower rate in seawater than
	under corresponding conditions in fresh water.  The alkaline pH
	of seawater - typically 7.9 - plus the effects of dissolved
	chlorides and sulfates tends to retard bacterial growth and hence
	decomposition.

3.	In general, a cadaver found in stagnant water or close to a sewage
	plant effluent outlet will decompose at a more rapid rate since the
	body provides a growth medium for bacteria already in the water.

> Another question:  Does the level of salt concentration in water affect
> the solublity of oxygen in water in any significant way?

	It sure does!  Oxygen is MUCH less soluble in seawater than in
freshwater.  A typical activity coefficient (lambda) for oxygen in seawater
is about 1.25.  Due to the large concentration of chlorides and sulfates,
a significant amount of the "water" in seawater is water of hydration.
Gases are less soluble in water which is bonded to ions.  Incidently, the
term "salting-out effect" is used to describe the condition where gases
are less soluble in solutions with higher salt concentrations.

<> Larry Lippman @ Recognition Research Corp. - Uniquex Corp. - Viatran Corp.
<> UUCP  {allegra|boulder|decvax|rutgers|watmath}!sunybcs!kitty!larry
<> TEL 716/688-1231 | 716/773-1700  {hplabs|utzoo|uunet}!/      \uniquex!larry
<> FAX 716/741-9635 | 716/773-2488      "Have you hugged your cat today?"

dragon@eleazar.dartmouth.edu (Sam Conway) (12/12/89)

In article <66666@tiger.oxy.edu> sadeghi@oxy.edu (Behnam Sadeghi) writes:
>Hi,
>Does the amount of solute oxygen in water make any significant difference
>in the rate of the decomposition of a dead human body submerged in water?
>Another question:  Does the level of salt concentration in water affect
>the solublity of oxygen in water in any significant way?
>Thanks a lot,
>Behnam Sadeghi

Er....excuse me, Mr. Sadeghi....but...you aren't by chance looking for
a way to dispose of a corpse, are you?

--
Sam Conway
dragon@eleazar.dartmouth.edu

sadeghi@oxy.edu (Behnam Sadeghi) (12/13/89)

In article <17867@dartvax.Dartmouth.EDU> Sam Conway writes:

>In article <66666@tiger.oxy.edu> sadeghi@oxy.edu (Behnam Sadeghi) writes:
>>Hi,
>>Does the amount of solute oxygen in water make any significant difference
>>in the rate of the decomposition of a dead human body submerged in water?
>>Another question:  Does the level of salt concentration in water affect
>>the solublity of oxygen in water in any significant way?
>>Thanks a lot,
>>Behnam Sadeghi
>>

>Er....excuse me, Mr. Sadeghi....but...you aren't by chance looking for
>a way to dispose of a corpse, are you?

	   Well... that's a tricky question!

	   Behnam Sadeghi