[sci.med] Caffeine Questions

geb@dsl.pitt.edu (Gordon E. Banks) (02/20/90)

In article <2569@leah.Albany.Edu> ss6349@leah.albany.edu (Steven H. Schimmrich) writes:

>   Forgive me if this has been covered before but I'm not a regular reader of
>this group.
>   I have some questions about caffeine.  I've been a heavy consumer of coffee
>and Pepsi, Coke, etc. which all contain caffeine.  This past weekend, because
>of erratic sleeping habits, I decided to try eliminating caffeine from my
>diet.  I've been irritable, very sleepy (much more so than normal), have been
>suffering from headaches, and have had actual cravings for coffee.  Is this
>normal? Is caffeine addictive in any way? Is it all psychosomatic? Can anyone
>give me any references as to the effects of caffeine?  How much caffeine is
>there in a mug of brewed coffee, instant coffee, a can of Pepsi, Coke, etc.?

Caffeine is addictive and what you are experiencing is normal withdrawal
symptoms.  You can find the information on caffeine content in any medical
library (ask the librarian for the reference).  You should not go cold
turkey, but rather cut back slowly, say 10% every two days until you are
on sanka and caffeine free coke.  They say Mountain Dew has the most
caffeine of any pop.  I do know a few mountain dew addicts, so it may
have been a smart move on the part of the company (the stuff sure doesn't
taste that good!).

vy10+@andrew.cmu.edu (Vannevar Y. Yu) (02/20/90)

>... mountain dew...

I believe that Jolt Cola has the most caffeine as far as softdrinks/pop
are concerned: "Twice the caffeine and all the sugar".

Does anyone have a caffeine chart available?

stjohn@ingr.com (Lisa St John) (02/21/90)

In article <2569@leah.Albany.Edu> ss6349@leah.albany.edu (Steven H. Schimmrich) writes:

>I've been irritable, very sleepy (much more so than normal), have been
>suffering from headaches, and have had actual cravings for coffee.  Is this
>normal? Is caffeine addictive in any way? Is it all psychosomatic? Can anyone

Your symptoms sound exactly like caffeine withdrawal.  Yes, it is addictive
because it is a drug.  No, it is not psychosomatic.  I am particularly
sensitive to caffeine and it took me about a month to slowly wean myself
from it.  However, I have been caffeine free for a year and I have no
problems now.  I do, however, drink caffeine occassionally and experience
no major problems (just the usual jitters).

>give me any references as to the effects of caffeine?  How much caffeine is

There is a book that I read from my library that is actually what
caused me to give up caffeine.  It is titled _Caffeine:  The User's and
Abuser's Guide_.  I don't recall the author.  It is a very thorough
book detailing all the bad stuff about caffeine and all the other
things that can be in coffee and how it all effects the body.

 * - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - *
 |			Lisa St. John  ph# 205-730-7629		* Opinions |
 |    o       ___  o    Intergraph Corporation, Huntsville, AL	*    are   |
 | _ /-_    __  _ /-_  	stjohn@ingr.com		( internet )	*    all   |
 |(_)>(_)    _ (_)>(_)	uunet!ingr!b17c!lsj!stjohn  ( uucp )	*   mine   |
 * - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - *

reiser@pmafire.UUCP (Steve Reiser) (02/21/90)

In article <2569@leah.Albany.Edu> ss6349@leah.albany.edu (Steven H. Schimmrich) writes:

>   Forgive me if this has been covered before but I'm not a regular reader of
>this group.
>   I have some questions about caffeine.  I've been a heavy consumer of coffee
>suffering from headaches, and have had actual cravings for coffee.  Is this
>normal? Is caffeine addictive in any way? Is it all psychosomatic? Can anyone
>give me any references as to the effects of caffeine?  How much caffeine is
>there in a mug of brewed coffee, instant coffee, a can of Pepsi, Coke, etc.?

Caffeine is medically classified as a mild habit-forming drug. Addiction
is called caffeinism and is usually evident in those consuming over 500
mg/day (3-8 cups/day depending on its strength) . Caffeine is similar to
adenosine in the brain ( a vasodilator). Caffeine blocks out adenosine
causing blood vessels to constrict which is why it is used in many headache
remedies. It takes 15-45 minutes to reach peak levels in the blood and is
usually eliminated in  5-6 hours. Concentration and accuracy in simple tasks
are improved, reaction time is shorter, and endurance is improved by enhanced
metabolism of fatty acids. On the negative side, there are indications
that it impairs short term memory, and delicate handwork is impaired
above 150 mg/day.

Caffeine contents:

Drip coffee 60-180mg; perk coffee 40-170mg; instant coffee 30-120mg;
decaffeinated coffee 2-5mg; instant decaf 1-5mg

Most teas are 60-80mg

one ounce of chocolate can have 5-35mg

Mountain Dew 54mg
Coca-Cola    45.6mg
Pepsi-Cola   38.4mg
Jolt Cola  about 100mg

NoDoz 100mg
Vivarin 200mg

Steve

--
Steve Reiser (reiser@pmafire.UUCP or ...!uunet!pmafire!reiser)
*           ACROMANIACS ANONYMOUS: FIGHT GRAVITY --> CLIMB!            *

sbishop@desire.wright.edu (02/21/90)

In article <8ZsKMty00WBKQ1648C@andrew.cmu.edu>, vy10+@andrew.cmu.edu (Vannevar Y. Yu) writes:
>>... mountain dew...
>

> I believe that Jolt Cola has the most caffeine as far as softdrinks/pop
> are concerned: "Twice the caffeine and all the sugar".
>
> Does anyone have a caffeine chart available?

RE:  Caffeine addiction,  I drank tea and caffinated beverages for quite a few
years, during which I suffered heavily from migraine headaches.  I read some
literature that suggested caffeine might be one of the triggering factors.  I
quit ANY caffeine except for occasional chocolate.  (I'm a chocoholic) The
migraines are now VERY rare and can usually be attributed to something I've
ingested that contains caffeine.  Any of you migraine sufferers out there take
note.  Try staying off the stuff for at least a month before you get it all out
of your system.  Then drink something with caffeine such as pop or coffee.  You
will have a migraine about 24 hours later if you are caffeine sensitive.

markv@gauss.Princeton.EDU (Mark VandeWettering) (02/22/90)

[ a heavy caffeine consumer writes... ]
>I've been irritable, very sleepy (much more so than normal), have been
>suffering from headaches, and have had actual cravings for coffee.  Is this
>normal? Is caffeine addictive in any way? Is it all psychosomatic? Can anyone
>give me any references as to the effects of caffeine?  How much caffeine is
>there in a mug of brewed coffee, instant coffee, a can of Pepsi, Coke, etc.?

Caffeine has been found to be heavily addictive.  I should know, I pump
tons of the stuff in my body each year.  The symptoms you describe are
very typical of the ones that I have while in caffeine withdrawal.  If you
can actually go a couple of weeks without going back on the stuff, then I
usually am free of it for a while.  Then one day, you drink a single can
of Coke and you are wired for the stuff again.  I normally drink large amounts
of liquids anyway, so I tend to get "rehooked" fairly often.
Its amazing, but after a while you can really note some of the effects of
caffeine.  In mild doses it seems to elevate my mood considerably, which
is probably also part of the addiction.   In large doses it causes my
back to have muscle spasms, irritability and nervousness.

Someone else can give you hard data on dosages, I recall that when I was
interested, I figured I consumed 6 times the maximum recommended dosages
every day for a year.  Ouch.

denbeste@spdcc.COM (Steven Den Beste) (02/22/90)

In article <1990Feb21.153415.9369@pmafire.UUCP> reiser@pmafire.UUCP (Steve Reiser) writes:
>Caffeine is medically classified as a mild habit-forming drug. Addiction
>is called caffeinism and is usually evident in those consuming over 500
>mg/day (3-8 cups/day depending on its strength) . Caffeine is similar to
>adenosine in the brain ( a vasodilator). Caffeine blocks out adenosine
>causing blood vessels to constrict which is why it is used in many headache
>remedies.

Actually, since caffeine withdrawal is one of the major causes of headaches,
a nostrum containing caffeine makes that headache go right away, yessir!

starkid@ddsw1.MCS.COM (Lance Sanders) (02/23/90)

On 20 Feb 90 03:46:34 GMT,  ss6349@leah.Albany.Edu (Steven H.
Schimmrich), in message <2569@leah.Albany.Edu> writes:

> Can anyone give me any references
> as to the effects of caffeine?

	  A report presented several years ago at an annual meeting
in St.  Louis of the Federation of American Societies of
Experimental Biology found that caffeine consumption can double
the amount of calcium a person loses through urination.  Calcium
loss was seen in all but two of 135 volunteers who were tested.

      Biochemist James T. MacGregor, Ph.D., at the U. of
California, Berkeley, has found that even slight folic-acid
deficiencies (folic acid is one of the B vitamins found in
spinach and other leafy greens) can be genetically damaging for
coffee drinkers who consume five to six caffeinated cups a day.
The combination nearly doubles the normal amount of chromosome
damage. [ Note: include tea and colas ]

     Caffeine should especially be avoided by pregnant women and
people prone to panic attacks.

     Caffeine stays in a smoker's bloodstream only half as long
as in a non-smoker's. When a smoker quits, metabolism slows down
within about three days, and three cups of coffee will produce
about twice the caffeine blood level as before. [ Drs. Neal
Benowitz, Sharon Hall; U. of California Medical School at San
Francisco ]

     Caffeine may make it more difficult for some women to get
pregnant. A team of researchers from the National Institute of
Environmental Health Services in Research Triangle park, N.C.,
surveyed 104 healthy women in their late 20's and early 30's who
had unsuccessfully tried to become pregnant for three months.
About 97 of the 104 women drank caffeinated beverages: brewed and
instant coffee, tea and soft drinks. 54 drank more than one cup
of coffee or its equivalent per day, and 50 drank less.
     Caffeine may depress the fertility of only "a susceptible
subgroup of women".

     Studies at the U. of Texas and Emory University found that
caffeine can increase pressure in the eye, which can aggravate
problems related to glaucoma (a disease in which fluid buildup
increases pressure in the eye). The high pressure can damage the
optic nerve, resulting in serious vision loss.
     50 people were divided into three groups: (1) young healthy
adults who drank 16 ounces (two cups) of caffeinated coffee. (2)
young adults who got for cups. (3) all older adults with glaucoma
who drank two cups.
     Results? Significant increase in eye pressure among the
healthy adults who drank two cups. The pressure increased in
those who drank four cups and the glaucoma aptients who had only
two cups.
     Verdict? Anyone with glaucoma should limit themselves to
drinking no more than two cups of caffeinated coffee per day. Any
individual with family histories of glaucoma should do likewise.

     Researchers at the Erasmus U. Medical School in Rotterdam,
the Netherlands, found that boiled coffee, in which ground coffee
is placed directly in water, significantly increases cholesterol
levels, but filtered coffee does not.
     107 young adults with normal blood cholesterol levels were
divided into three groups. For three weeks, all received filtered
coffee. Then they were randomly divided into three groups: one
which drank four to six cups a day of boiled coffee, one, the
same amount of filtered coffee, and the third, no coffee.
     The boiled coffee group showed a 10 percent increase in
total blood cholesterol. Those drinking filtered coffee or no
coffee at all showed no increase.
     The difference is being attributed to the fact that filters
trap most of the fats in coffee.

     The Netherlands study came a week after one by Stanford U.
(Dr. Robert Superko, lead researcher) which showed that
decaffeinated coffee raises the level of low-density lipoprotein
(LDL, or "bad" lipoprotein).
     Of 180 healthy middle-age men who drank three to six cups of
black coffee a day for two months, cholesterol levels remained
the same among caffeinated and non-coffee drinkers, while LDL
levels rose an average of 7 percent for decaffeinated drinkers.
     A 7 percent LDL rise translates to approx. a 12 percent rise
in heart attack risk.

	  Used specifically as opposed to chronically,  caffeine can
be beneficial.
      In limited amounts, caffeine in most people acts as a mood
elevator and boosts physical and mental performance, though Nancy
Clark, a sports nutritionist from Brookline, Mass., says that
recent studies indicate a physically fit, carbohydrate-loaded
competitor derives no performance lift from caffeine.

      A one to two cup per day limit of caffeinated coffee
appears to be a safe, upper limit.

      Moderate consumption is defined as about 200 milligrams per
day (about two cups of coffee). Colas contain 30 to 70 mg., tea
about 15 to 30 mg., and cocoa 5 to 20 mg. per cup.
----------------------------
Lance Sanders
starkid@ddsw1.MCS.COM            "Never does nature say one thing
FidoNet:   1:115/743.0            and wisdom another."
GEnie:     L.Sanders6                                  ---Juvenal
Voice:     (312)667-5958

geb@dsl.pitt.edu (Gordon E. Banks) (02/23/90)

Add another piece of data:

Caffeine given 100mg q2h increased metabolic rate of dieters by
10%.  Almost makes me want to start taking it.

andrea@hp-sdd.hp.com (Andrea K. Frankel) (02/24/90)

Add another question:  is there anything substantiated about caffeine
worsening fibromyalgia aka (Primary Fibrositic Syndrome)?

Some of the literature from the Arthritis Foundation suggests limiting
stimulants, but I couldn't tell whether that was just an intuitively
reasonable suggestion (given the relationship between stress and PFS),
or whether there were published studies.

Andrea Frankel, Hewlett-Packard (San Diego Division) (619) 592-4664
	"wake now!  Discover that you are the song that the morning brings..."
UUCP     : {hplabs|nosc|hpfcla|ucsd}!hp-sdd!andrea
Internet : andrea@sdd.hp.com (or andrea%hp-sdd@nosc.mil or @ucsd.edu)
CSNET    : andrea%hp-sdd@hplabs.csnet
USnail   : 16399 W. Bernardo Drive, San Diego CA 92127-1899 USA