[sci.med] Computer-Aided Illness/New disease vector?

1k1mgm@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu (02/24/90)

A True Story:

Was at doctor's today to check into pain, numbness in right arm.
After a little poking around doctor ruled out carpal tunnel syndrome
and various other 'named' entities.  Said condition was probably a
generic nerve inflammation of the sort acquired by factory workers
who engage in steady repetetive movement.  I told him I was not
aware of doing anything like that;  that I spent most of my day
sitting in front of my Macintosh writing and editing....  Then,
like a shot, it hit me.

"My god," I said.  "I've got MOUSE ELBOW."

Which is what it seems to be.  Recommendation is (a) wait and see
if it gets better or worse, and (b) get tennis-elbow-style pad/brace
if it doesn't get better.

This has probably been discussed here frequently before, but I don't
check out sci.med or comp.sys.mac much.  Advice would be appreciated,
unless I'm too disabled to log in and read it :-)....

Christopher Gunn	Molecular Graphics & Modeling Lab
SPAN--KUPHSX::SYBYL	Department of Medicinal Chemistry
913-864-4428		University of Kansas, Lawrence, KS  66045

ianf@nada.kth.se (Ian Feldman) (02/26/90)

In article <22351.25e565db@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu> 1k1mgm@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu writes:

> A True Story:
> [.....]

> Then, like a shot, it hit me.
>
> "My god," I said.  "I've got MOUSE ELBOW."
>
> Which is what it seems to be.  Recommendation is (a) wait and see
> if it gets better or worse, and (b) get tennis-elbow-style pad/brace
> if it doesn't get better.

  (c) set up Menu-command-aliases where appropriate, to replace as many
      mouse-events as possible and QuicKeys to navigate between
      your most often used applications.  Though my rationale for
      doing it was _not_ any fear of a possible Mouse_Elbow condition
      I recently became aware that I hardly ever use the mouse anymore;
      certainly not for everyday tasks of telecommunicating with ZTerm,
      text-processing (MicroEmacs does it all from the keyboard and quicker
      than any other editor known to me) and archiving with MacCompress,
      which are the main three applications that I most often use.
      Add DiskTop for nearly all file-handling ops, QuicKey-callable
      DAtabase for small-filing needs and a properly set up set of
      other utilities and it's `good-bye ye olde mousee'.

--Ian Feldman /  ianf@nada.kth.se || uunet!nada.kth.se!ianf
             / "Go ahead, make my day, tell me to RTFM"

gdavis@primate.wisc.edu (Gary Davis) (02/27/90)

From article <3026@draken.nada.kth.se>, by ianf@nada.kth.se (Ian Feldman):
> In article <22351.25e565db@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu> 1k1mgm@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu writes:
>> "My god," I said.  "I've got MOUSE ELBOW."
>
>   (c) set up Menu-command-aliases where appropriate, to replace as many
>       mouse-events as possible and QuicKeys to navigate between

>       other utilities and it's `good-bye ye olde mousee'.

It's repetitive movements without changing arm position that can
cause disorders like mouse elbow or carpal tunnel syndrome.
Using the keyboard heavily is well known to lead to the latter
problem, which is apparently much more common than mouse elbow.

The recommendation I've seen for decreasing the chance of CTS is to
shift arm position occasionally. So it seems to me that switching
between mouse and keyboard is a good way to decrease your chance
of coming down with one of these disorders.

Of course, it's possible that individuals may differ in their
susceptibility to one or the other problems. So the optimal
mix of keyboard and mouse activity may be different for different
people.

Gary Davis

kovar@popvax.harvard.edu (David C. Kovar) (02/28/90)

In article <22351.25e565db@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu> 1k1mgm@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu writes:
>This has probably been discussed here frequently before, but I don't
>check out sci.med or comp.sys.mac much.  Advice would be appreciated,
>unless I'm too disabled to log in and read it :-)....

  Get a trackball. Seriously! I use the one in my Portable all the time
and am quite happy with it. Very little arm motion, no desk space
required, etc etc etc.

-David

-David C. Kovar
	Consultant				ARPA: kovar@popvax.harvard.edu
	Eclectic Associates			BITNET: corwin@harvarda.bitnet
	Ma Bell: 617-646-0428			MacNET: DKovar

         "It is easier to get forgiveness than permission."

[All opinions expressed are my own. Noone else assumes responsibility for me.]

davide@cs.qmw.ac.uk (David Edmondson) (03/01/90)

>In article <22351.25e565db@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu> 1k1mgm@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu writes:
>>This has probably been discussed here frequently before, but I don't
>>check out sci.med or comp.sys.mac much.  Advice would be appreciated,
>>unless I'm too disabled to log in and read it :-)....

You shouldn't have to move your elbow if you:

Make sure the mouse is set to fastest in the control panel and
remember that the faster you move the mouse box the higher the
effective 'gearing' of the mouse is, i.e. a quick flick moves
the cursor further than a slow shove of the same distance.

Let your fingers do the walking, rest the base of your hand on
the table and hold the mouse between thumb and a couple of
fingers.

Good luck

--
David Edmondson

UUCP:      davide@qmw-cs.uucp   or  ...seismo!mcvax!ukc!qmw-cs!davide
ARPA:      davide%cs.qmw@nsfnet-relay.ac.uk  Post: Dept of Computer Science
JANET:     davide@uk.ac.qmw.cs               Queen Mary and Westfield  College
Applelink: UK0087                            University of London
                                             Mile End Road
                                             London E1 4NS
Voice:     +44 1 975 5250                    England

werner@aecom.yu.edu (Craig Werner) (03/04/90)

In article <3026@draken.nada.kth.se>, ianf@nada.kth.se (Ian Feldman) writes:
> In article <22351.25e565db@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu> 1k1mgm@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu writes:
> >
> > Then, like a shot, it hit me.
> >
> > "My god," I said.  "I've got MOUSE ELBOW."
> >
> > Which is what it seems to be.  Recommendation is (a) wait and see
> > if it gets better or worse, and (b) get tennis-elbow-style pad/brace
> > if it doesn't get better.

	Actually this condition has been described before, and various
names suggested at the first description included 'murine tenosynovitis'
before deciding on the more catchy, 'MacWrist' (although it's really the
forearm in most cases.)

--
	        Craig Werner   (future MD/PhD, 4.5 years down, 2.5 to go)
	     werner@aecom.YU.EDU -- Albert Einstein College of Medicine