[sci.med] Greyscale to colour.

andrea@sdd.hp.com (Andrea K. Frankel) (06/28/90)

In article <1613@med.Stanford.EDU> rick@hanauma.stanford.edu (Richard Ottolini) writes:
>In article <1597@quando.quantum.de> hintz@quando.UUCP (Stefan Hintz) writes:
>>>However, when I watch a color TV signal in B&W I often have no problem
>>>identifying the color of objects and I don't know why.
>>
>>I know why ...
>>You know the sky is blue, the trees are green, etc...
>
>Most TV scenes are inside buildings.  It is the color of people's clothes,
>the walls, etc. that I see in B&W.

Is it possible that you are slightly colorblind, Richard?  One of my
friends who is told me that he sees many things as subtle shades of
grey.  I have no idea whether the "mapping" from color to perception
in a colorblind person matches the mapping from color TV signal to
B&W TV picture, but if it does, then I'd expect the colorblind person
to automatically process the data and infer color out of it in the same
way.

Andrea Frankel, Hewlett-Packard (San Diego Division) (619) 592-4664
	"wake now!  Discover that you are the song that the morning brings..."
UUCP     : {hplabs|nosc|hpfcla|ucsd}!hp-sdd!andrea
Internet : andrea@sdd.hp.com (or andrea%hp-sdd@nosc.mil or @ucsd.edu)
CSNET    : andrea%hp-sdd@hplabs.csnet
USnail   : 16399 W. Bernardo Drive, San Diego CA 92127-1899 USA

kassover@minerva.crd.ge.com (David Kassover) (06/28/90)

In article <1990Jun27.192933.18169@sdd.hp.com> andrea@sdd.hp.com (Andrea K. Frankel) writes:

>>>I know why ...
>>>You know the sky is blue, the trees are green, etc...
>>
>>Most TV scenes are inside buildings.  It is the color of people's clothes,
>>the walls, etc. that I see in B&W.
>
>Is it possible that you are slightly colorblind, Richard?  One of my
>friends who is told me that he sees many things as subtle shades of
>grey.

No doubt *all* of us perceive color somewhat differently from
each other.

The sky isn't blue (at least where I am), except shortly before
sunrise and shortly after sundown.  Most of the rest of the time,
when it's not grey, it's cyan.  (unless you use Fujichrome, in
which case some would have it as blue)

I submit, therefore, that, mathematical transformations aside,
there can be no one, true, grey-to-color mapping.  Find one that
pleases you (or your clients) (and don't hesitate to use
non-linear blending), and let it go at that.

--
David Kassover             "Proper technique helps protect you against
kassover@ra.crd.ge.com	    sharp weapons and dull judges."