[sci.med] 25 hr. day

starkid@ddsw1.MCS.COM (Lance Sanders) (07/15/90)

On 2 Jul 90 03:20:43 GMT,  tmca@ut-emx.UUCP (The Anarch),  in
>'m told, through various reputable sources, which I can't remember
>ust this minute, that the majority of the human race lives on a 25 hr
>chedule, and some on as long as a 27 hr schedule. By schedule, I mean
>circadian (sp?) rhythms and such like.

   Researchers at the Max Planck Institute for Psychiatry in
Munich,  Germany (Jurgen Zulley and Scott Campbell),  who
isolated subjects in an underground bunker with no way to judge
time outside of their environment (and with no music,  writing,
reading,  alcohol,  coffee or tea) found in 1987 that there were
four-hour rhythms---periods of increased readiness to sleep---in
addition to night sleep.  Daytime sleeping occurred most often
at 1 p.m.,  but shorter naps also took place at 9 a.m.  and 5
p.m.  Those in midday sleep for more than 90 minutes had deeper
sleeps,  followed by periods of dreaming.

   Richard E. Kronauer, professor of mechanical engineering at
Harvard, found that people chose map times at 5:30 p.m., slept
for three hours, stayed up for eight hours and slept another four
hours. In essence, their days were split in half.

   Thomas Wehr, chief of the clinical psychobiology branch of the
National Institute of Mental Health, believes data indicates that
the natural sleep pattern is a couple of hours in the daytime and
five hours at night. Humans appear to be genetically programmed
to nap.

   Psychologist Scott S.  Campbell of the Institute for
Circadian Physiology in Boston (formerly at the U. of
California at San Diego),  along with Irene Tobler, discovered
napping behavior in 160 different species of animals, from
insects to primates.  All creatures except humans (due to
cultural and industrialization factors) break up sleep into
several discreet phases per day,  or doze lightly while doing
something else.  Campbell believes that "we go against nature
when we sleep just once in twenty-four hours".  Enforced night
sleep disrupts the natural tendency toward nodding off during
the height of the day.

   Research indicates that reactions to allergens and many
disease states are strongly linked to internal circadian rhythms.
   Asthma occurs more often at night than during the day, not
only because there is more pollen or dust in the air in the
evening, but because of fluctuations in immune system defenses.

   The threshold for pain is lower at night than it is in the
afternoon. Migraine and muscle headaches usually begin in the
early hours of the morning. the onset of fever from a viral
infection occurs mainly during the late afternoon and evening,
between 2 and 10 p.m. Onset of fever from bacterial infection
occurs aminly during the morning, between 5 a.m. and noon. White
blood cells, which play a large role in the immune response, are
more active during the evening than at night, etc.

   Since the small proteins that enhance immune function are also
sleep-inducers, is the built-in tendency to nap associated with
general immune system enhancement;  modification of
hypertension?  Are the four-hour rhythms/periods of increased
tendency to sleep associated with pulses in increased immune
system efficiency?

   It would appear so.  The muramyl peptides are associated with
deep,  slow-wave sleep.  David Dinges,  a sleep researcher at
the U.  of Pennsylvania,  has determined that during naps,  most
sleep is in the depest stages, characterized by slow, regular
brain waves.  Relatively little of a nap is spent in the phase
of sleep during which most dreaming occurs.

   A study by the U. of Athens Medical School looked at Greeks,
half of whom nap, half who don't. They compared men hospitalized
for coronary heart disease with men hospitalized for other
reasons and concluded that Greek men who nap half an hour or more
every day are 30 percent less likely to develop a cardiac
condition than those who don't nap.

   [[ It's a widespread custom in Japan to allow night-shift
workers to have naps to break up their time on the job. ]]

   Most afternoon naps are between 30 and 90 minutes. Naps under
15 minutes are uncommon. Naps of just a few minutes reach only
the first stage of sleep. Slow-wave sleep doesn't occur until
later in the cycle. Psychiatrist Martin Orne of the U. of
Pennsylvania and Institute of penn. Hospital notes that napping
should be practised "prophylactically" (!). "Nap *before* you're
tired."

   On the average, naps begin about 12 hours after the middle of
the main period of sleep. Someone who slept from midnight to 6
a.m. would be most highly primed for a nap around 3 p.m.

   Dr. William Dement, director of the Sleep Disorders Clinic and
Research Center at Stanford University, in a preface to 'Sleep
and Alertness: Chronobiological, Behavioral and Medical Aspects
of Napping (Raven Press)': "It seems nature definitely intended
that adults should nap in the middle of the day; the body has an
inherent need to nap."
---------
Lance Sanders
starkid@ddsw1.MCS.COM        Bo knows psychoneuroimmunology.