[sci.med] Stress on blood vessels

muttiah@stable.ecn.purdue.edu (Ranjan S Muttiah) (07/27/90)

In article <1990Jul24.163130.22339@ecn.purdue.edu> muttiah@stable.ecn.purdue.edu (Ranjan S Muttiah) writes:
>What types of stress do the main blood vessels around the joints
>of the body undergo ?

After consulting with a med. book, it seems as though nature has come with a
neat way of dealing with the flow of blood around the joints.  The main blood
vessels leading upto the joint branch off into a a nested structure (something
like a ring) and then they (the vessels) become smaller as they progress away
from the joints.  I naively thought that the blood vessels were embedded deep
enough to be immune from external movement of the human body.
The days I spent in cutting up toads and rats in biology class,
I didn't give much thought to how the blood vessels get affected by bodily
motion esp. around the joints.