[sci.med] AIDS transmission between dentist and patient?

levy@uunet.UU.NET (2656-Daniel R. Levy(0000000)0000) (08/01/90)

claris!netcom!jfh@ames.arc.nasa.gov (Jack Hamilton) writes:

>There have been several articles in the newspapers recently about a case of
>supposed transmission of HIV between a dentist and a patient.  Naturally,
>this has people worried.  The patient claims to have had no other possible
>contact with HIV other than having two teeth extracted by that dentist.
>Both the dentist and the patient agree that the dentist wore a mask and
>gloves, and followed all the safety guidelines.

I'm curious, do "all" the (dental office) safety guidelines include disinfect-
ing the control handles and buttons of the dental chair and lamp between
patients (or having someone else manipulate the equipment)?  I asked my dentist
about this once and he said precautions are suppoed to be taken for all things
he might touch while working, pointing out that, for example, if he is called
to the phone while working he must re-wash his hands before proceeding, but
implied that it is often left undone for the lamp and chair.  I have also had
an endodontist that brushed his hands on his pants prior to working in my
mouth, and didn't say anything because I was afraid I'd look like a dweeb
for complaining about something so "trivial."  Surely it's far more likely
I'd catch a cold or flu this way than HIV, but oughtn't even this to be a
concern for dentists?
--
 Daniel R. Levy * Memorex Telex * Naperville IL * ..!uunet!tellab5!mtcchi!levy
So far as I can remember, there is not one      ... therefore be ye as shrewd