[sci.med] Medical Imaging Ph.D programs

shri@ohm.berkeley.edu (Shriram Krishnan) (09/09/90)

I'm interested in universities in the United States that offer
Ph.D programs in the computer science department in graphics
applications to medicine.  Nearly everything I found on the
subject seems to be done out the EE departments or Radiology
depts in medical schools.

Please e-mail:  shri@ohm.berkeley.edu  or krish@cs.columbia.edu

If there is sufficient interest I'll post a summary.

thank you.

sean@cadre.dsl.pitt.edu (Sean McLinden) (09/12/90)

In article <27621@pasteur.Berkeley.EDU> shri@ohm.berkeley.edu.UUCP (Shriram Krishnan) writes:
>I'm interested in universities in the United States that offer
>Ph.D programs in the computer science department in graphics
>applications to medicine.  Nearly everything I found on the
>subject seems to be done out the EE departments or Radiology
>depts in medical schools.

You asked for mail, but one answer is probably interesting enough for a general
post:

If you want to pursue graduate work in medical imaging, you'd best ally yourself
with a good computer science department (one which specializes in graphics), that
is in or around a good medical center. Some of the links that you require may
exist, already, in the form of cooperative research and some may not. Included
in this group (but NOT limited to it), would the University of North Carolina,
the University of Washington, the University of Utah, and the University of
Pennsylvania. I am sure that there are others and my omissions are more out
of ignorance than bias.

More importantly, however (soapbox time!), I should emphasize that there is
a real danger to specializing too early on the application area before you
have gained real expertise in computer graphics and imaging. What medicine
needs is an influx of ideas carried by experts in other fields and not one
more person specializing in "medical computing". One or two trips to a medical
computing conference or a medical special interest group meeting for some
vendor's workstation will convince you that the field is full of people who
know a lot of medicine but little or no computer or information science (and,
worse, no engineering), but have gotten tremendous reputations because the
know how to use HyperCard or MUMPS. The result has been a lot of inbreeding
and a real stagnation of ideas in biomedical computing. (It would be great
if the NSF could contribute some real science to this area but now I'm
getting *really* far afield.)

This is, of course, an overstatement, but it does reflect many years experience
in the field. We, desperately, need people who can bring in new ideas and new
technologies from the outside, not people created in our own image. Find the
*best* imaging program that you can find, and *then* build the links to medicine.
Both you, and the profession, will benefit more fully from such an approach.

Sean McLinden
Decision Systems Laboratory
University of Pittsburgh