[sci.med] A human being in vacuum

n9020351@unicorn.cc.wwu.edu (james d. Del Vecchio) (12/13/90)

Followups To: sci.space

Someone posted that vacuum was an isulator.

	dsr@mir.mitre.org (Douglas S. Rand) writes:

>Radiational cooling is pretty effective,  especially when
>the surrounding black body temperature is 3 or 4 degrees K.  If the
>person in the vacuum is in shadow they could probably freeze in just
>a few minutes.  If they're in direct sunlight then they might boil on
>one side and freeze on the other (lots of fun).
		--------
I don't have a clear idea of how that would work.  If the heat in your
body isn't going _into_ something (like air), then where is it going?

I don't understand the "3 or 4 degree K" outside temp.  How can it have
a tempature if there's nothing there?   Do you just mean an imperfect vacuum
where the particles hitting you are at 3-4 deg K?
I always had the idea that something being cold was only relavent if it was
actualy touching you.  What's touching you in space?

		Jim Del Vecchio