[sci.med] Blood Type Personality Analysis...some thoughts

kambic@iccgcc.decnet.ab.com (01/10/91)

In article <1991Jan4.175856.28274@dsl.pitt.edu>, geb@dsl.pitt.edu (Gordon E. Banks) writes:
> In article <1991Jan2.230507.13285@infonode.ingr.com> drudetb@infonode.ingr.com (Ted B. Drude) writes:
>>
>>I've just finished reading the book "You Are Your Blood Type"
>>written by Alexandar Besher (Pocket Books,  1988,  ISBN 0-671-63342-2).
>>According to Besher's book,  there are general personality traits that can
>>be observed in every individual,  based largely on genetic traits identifiable
>>in your blood type.  Type O personalities are goal-oriented and extroverted,
>>type A's are detail-oriented and introverted. B's tend to be
>>scatter-brained, but have excellent problem solving skills and artistic
>>talent,  while AB's are consumated diplomats in most interpersonal
>>relationships.  (This is an EXTREME overgeneralization of the
>>differences in blood type groupings.)
>>
>>Besher claims that blood type personality analysis is derived from the
>>work of a Japanese Researcher named Toshitaka Nomi,  who co-authored the
>>book with him.  Besher claims that Japanese firms have been using blood type
>>analysis for many years in human resource management.  Specifically,  he
>>claimes that Honda,  Yamaha,  Toyota and Fujitsu are currently using blood type
>>analysis as a factor in their hiring  and placement decisions.
>
> This is scary.  The blood cell antigens may correlate with some
> things but this is really overdoing it.  I'm a type B and may
> be scatterbrained, but I don't have one particle of artistic talent.
> My AB sister is the worst diplomat you could imagine.  My type A
> father was shy and introverted.  My mother (type B) was the
> extroverted one.  I guess using my family, the book strikes out.

This rings of pseudoscience.  Claiming something requires proof.  The traits
identified above look like general purpose personality profiles, or astrology
readings (what your blood is up to today).  By the way, the book didn't
completely strike out - someone bought it, so Besher's happy.

GXK
standard disclaimer

jpk@ingres.com (Jon Krueger) (01/13/91)

From article <2738.278b0174@iccgcc.decnet.ab.com>, by kambic@iccgcc.decnet.ab.com: