[sci.med] Drugs as Origin of Religion

honig@ics.uci.edu (David Honig) (02/21/91)

In article <1991Feb19.233028.19992@midway.uchicago.edu> den0@quads.uchicago.edu (funky chicken) writes:
>IMHO, this theory should be obvious.  Profound religious experiences
>involve non-ordinary states of consciousness.  Period.  This doesn't
>necessarily mean that every religious experience involves leaving your
>body and being taught how to fly by psychedlic jesus jellyfish, drugs
>need not be involved and there are plenty of different religious "highs."

I think a very interesting question is, What are those circuits doing there
in the first place?

Its easy to understand what the circuits for, e.g., love, ie,
pair-bonding are for: humans take forever to raise, and its easier if
you have two helping.  Many animals share these features.

I've read that it was useful in smaller societies to have the ability to bond
to one's tribe and feel brotherhood; of course this has been exploited in
patriotism and is part of many modern religions.

So, an interesting question is: Are states of religious awe and
ecstacy artifacts or have they been selected for?

--
David Honig
.."Think anyone will mind that I don't have a tie?" ---Cliff Stoll

jeff@spdcc.COM (Jeff Fabijanic) (02/21/91)

In article <27C2AD16.24022@ics.uci.edu> honig@ics.uci.edu (David Honig)
writes:

>In article <1991Feb19.233028.19992@midway.uchicago.edu> den0@quads.uchicago.edu
>(funky chicken) writes:
>>IMHO, this theory should be obvious.  Profound religious experiences
>>involve non-ordinary states of consciousness.  Period.  This doesn't
>>necessarily mean that every religious experience involves leaving your
>>body and being taught how to fly by psychedlic jesus jellyfish, drugs
>>need not be involved and there are plenty of different religious "highs."
>
>I think a very interesting question is, What are those circuits doing there
>in the first place?
 (more thoughts along these lines)

For anyone who is interested in what some very unique individuals have to say
about such things (why we seem wired for religious ecstacy, etc.) I would
suggest picking up some of Falcon Press' books, particularly "Prometheus
Rising" and "Sex and Drugs" - both by R.A. Wilson, and "Undoing Yourself" (2
volumes) by Dr. Chris Hyatt. These folks are definately brain-bending and best
of all, they have a healthy sense of their own ignorance. That is, they don't
claim to have the TRUTH, nor do they resist the impulse to poke fun at
themselves (and others of course). A must for any cognitive explorers.

                               Jeff

jls@yoda.Rational.COM (Jim Showalter) (02/21/91)

>I think a very interesting question is, What are those circuits doing there
>in the first place?

An excellent question! I've wondered that myself. Either there aren't really
any specialized circuits and we're just overloading/altering the ones we
have, or we're tapping into something deeper that raises all kinds of weird
possibilities.
--
***** DISCLAIMER: The opinions expressed herein are my own. Duh. Like you'd
ever be able to find a company (or, for that matter, very many people) with

cleland@sdbio2.ucsd.edu (Thomas Cleland) (03/05/91)

In article <27C2AD16.24022@ics.uci.edu> honig@ics.uci.edu (David Honig) writes:

>Its easy to understand what the circuits for, e.g., love, ie,
>pair-bonding are for: humans take forever to raise, and its easier if
>you have two helping.  Many animals share these features.
>
>I've read that it was useful in smaller societies to have the ability to bond
>to one's tribe and feel brotherhood; of course this has been exploited in
>patriotism and is part of many modern religions.
>
>So, an interesting question is: Are states of religious awe and
>ecstacy artifacts or have they been selected for?

Interesting, but not a biological question, alas.  "Selecting
for" and subjective mental states like "awe" and "ecstasy" are
miles apart in the mechanisms of how we understand them.  To
relate the two meaningfully will occur after we solve the
problem of the interface of genetics, neural communication, and
cultural transmission as adaptive information processing and
transmittal networks in their roles as structures for the maintenance of a
self-regulating system.

I fear that may be a while yet.

Seriously, though, you can't talk about "selecting for"
religious awe.  The system is much more complex than that.
>--
>David Honig

Thom Cleland
tcleland@ucsd.edu