[sci.med] Medical Schools in Spain

guerra@spocom.UUCP (Robert Guerra) (05/04/91)

I'd like to know if anyone reading this might be able to give me a hand
. I would like to obtain information on the medical education which is
offered by the universities in Spain.  I seem to be unable to find any
information here locally, and thus my message.

I would like to know if anyone might be able to answer the following
questions:

        1. Are there any spanish medical faculty which read messages on
                this net
        2. Of the numerous medical colleges in spain, which are rated
better than others.
        3. What is the quality of spanish continuing medical education
        4. Will a spanish medical degree obtained after 92 allow one to
practice in any other of the european community member countries?

        I'm posting this message for a friend who has recently graduated
with an Honours Bsc physiology/Pharmacology degree and is looking into
studying in spain (has dual canadian/spanish nationality).

        Any help, and especially contacts in spain would be greatly
appreciated.

        Gracias,

        Thanks,

Robert Guerra  |Internet:robert.guerra%canrem.uucp@cs.toronto.edu
			:guerra%spocom.uucp@cs.toronto.ca
Toronto, Canada|UUCP	:lsuc!canrem!robert.guerra

spel@hippo.ru.ac.za (Dr. Eberhard W. Lisse) (05/05/91)

In <u18D22w164w@spocom.UUCP> guerra@spocom.UUCP (Robert Guerra) writes:

>I'd like to know if anyone reading this might be able to give me a hand
>. I would like to obtain information on the medical education which is
>offered by the universities in Spain.  I seem to be unable to find any
>information here locally, and thus my message.
>
>I would like to know if anyone might be able to answer the following
>questions:
>
>        1. Are there any spanish medical faculty which read messages on
>                this net

What one can do is look into the maps/databases of internet (.SP ?)
BITNET and UUCP to find if there are any Medical Schools listed. I know
there were some on BITNET but that is now three years ago, since I left
Germany.

>        2. Of the numerous medical colleges in spain, which are rated
>better than others.

I am not impressed with them anyway. They are not any better/worse then
the German ones (I studied in Germany). This doesn't really matter,
anyway. (See below)

>        3. What is the quality of spanish continuing medical education
No idea.
>        4. Will a spanish medical degree obtained after 92 allow one to
>practice in any other of the european community member countries?

This is obvious: All Medical Degrees obtained from a Medical School in
the European Community are by law recognised in all member states. All
Citizens of any member states are allowed to practise in any of the
member states as if they were citizens of that particular state. Anyway
the borders between the member states will fall in 1993 or so anyway.

>        I'm posting this message for a friend who has recently graduated
>with an Honours Bsc physiology/Pharmacology degree and is looking into
>studying in spain (has dual canadian/spanish nationality).

I am quite sure no spanish (or german for that matter :-)-O) degree will
be recognized in Canada without further examination. The quality of the
medical schools do not really matter for the reason that if one wants to
Canadian equivalent. As one knows that, one can hit the books right from
the beginning properly in order to pass thoses tests. With the pass it
doesn't really matter how good one actually is in practical matters, but
one is the considered aceptable as far as knowledge is concerned as a
graduate from a US medical school.

Personally I would strongly advise to obtain entry in a Canadian medical
school. I think they all are much better then the ones in Europe with
the exception of UK and Ireland.

By no means do I want to belittle any medical schools in spain with this
note. Please don't flame me. I know what I am talking about !  I have been
working with colleagues from 30 different countries here in Namibia.

The best Medical Schools are in my view (each line means same quality)

Australia, New Zealand and South Africa,

UK, Ireland

USA, Canada, Hong Kong

Netherlands, Belgium, Germany, Denmark, Finland, Norway, Sweden (a year
or two of heavy exposure jumps them/us up a line or two)

Other European Community Countries, (Italy is the worst), Former East
Germany

Egypt, Nigeria, Uganda, Singapore, are developing countries I have seen
good people from.  (Like EEC countries)

The worst I have see come from the eastern European countries (rumania,
Bulgaria, USSR), the Philippines and India.

I have not seen anybody from SOuth America.

>        Any help, and especially contacts in spain would be greatly
>appreciated.
>
>        Gracias,

>        Thanks,

>Robert Guerra  |Internet:robert.guerra%canrem.uucp@cs.toronto.edu
>			:guerra%spocom.uucp@cs.toronto.ca
>Toronto, Canada|UUCP	:lsuc!canrem!robert.guerra

Again, please don't flame me, but send email, if you are unhappy with
this personal opinion.

regards, el
--
Dr. Eberhard W. Lisse       (spel@hippo.ru.ac.ZA)