[sci.med] Color Blindness

harv@harvs.UUCP (Patrick L. Harvey) (06/11/91)

I am looking for information about color blindness.  I am slightly red-green
color blind, meaning that I can confuse certain shades of red and green.

I assume that the problem is that my eyes cannot differentiate between
frequencies as accurately as they should be able to, because if I see certain
colors reflected off glass (not a mirror - a crude reflector, like a car window
at night) the colors are more distinct.  I am guessing that this is a result
of spectral spreading (prism effect), but I really have no idea.  I surmise
this is the case because I used to have an obnoxious power amp in my car,
and when viewing the front panel LEDs directly they all looked the same.
But at night, looking at their reflection in the window glass, they were very
obviously red, green, or yellow.  Also, if they were illuminated by external
lights (rather than glowing themselves) the colors were obvious.

Does vision acuity affect color vision?  Say, if I have 20/40 vision, will
my color vision be better if I wear glasses to correct it to 20/20 or 20/15?
(I do not wear glasses - have about 20/25 or something).

Are there drugs which affect color vision?  Do certain vitamins or minerals
affect the way eyes interpret colors? (other than hallucinogens)

Why do colors appear to be substantially more vibrant under water when using
a mask? (there is a 5:4 magnification factor when using a plain diving mask)

Please mail me responses directly and/or post, as my news server has been
quite erratic lately.  I will compile and post answers.

Thanks very much!

Patrick L. Harvey          | Home: romed!harvs!harv@asuvax.eas.asu.edu
VLSI Technology, Inc.      | Work: vlsisj!phx!harv@decwrl.dec.com
(602) 752-6151             | Other: Sorry, no Email in the Grand Canyon

sarima@tdatirv.UUCP (Stanley Friesen) (06/15/91)

In article <0B02FFF5.htcdri@harvs.UUCP> romed!harvs!harv@asuvax.eas.asu.edu writes:
>I am looking for information about color blindness.  I am slightly red-green
>color blind, meaning that I can confuse certain shades of red and green.
>
>I assume that the problem is that my eyes cannot differentiate between
>frequencies as accurately as they should be able to, because if I see certain
>colors reflected off glass (not a mirror - a crude reflector, like a car window
>at night) the colors are more distinct.

Good enough as far as it goes.  The eye has three types of color sensitive
receptors (conventionally called Red, Green and Blue - but that is an
oversimplification).  These are wired into the optic nerve in an arcane
way that recodes the light levels into two color opposition systems.
These two are a Red-Green opposition and a Yellow-Blue opposition.  Red-
green color blindness is caused by some defect in the Red-Green opposition
system.  That is the R-G encoding has reduced contrast - or even no
contrast at all (in severe cases).  [There is also a third opposition -
between light and dark].

This can be caused by several things - one of the receptor types could
be missing, leading to reduced signal differentiation; or the peak
sensitivities of the red and green receptors could be offset towards
each other; or ...

As to why reflection helps, I do not know.

>Does vision acuity affect color vision?  Say, if I have 20/40 vision, will
>my color vision be better if I wear glasses to correct it to 20/20 or 20/15?
>(I do not wear glasses - have about 20/25 or something).

I doubt it, but I do not know for certain.

>Are there drugs which affect color vision?  Do certain vitamins or minerals
>affect the way eyes interpret colors? (other than hallucinogens)

Quite likely, and probably.
Anything that alters the metabolism of the receptors or neurons could
alter color vision under the right conditions.
--
uunet!tdatirv!sarima				(Stanley Friesen)