[sci.med] Another virus UL

jack@dcs.glasgow.ac.uk (Jack Campin) (06/27/91)

carl@sol1.gps.caltech.edu (Carl J Lydick) writes:
> So far, everybody I know who's read the new edition of _The_Stand_ has come
> down with a severe flu-like illness within a week of buying the book.

Here's another one; I'd be curious to know if it's a one-off or more
generally distributed.  A friend of mine had a temporary job moving law
books from old stacks to a new library building at the University of
Auckland around 1970.  He came down with a vicious case of flu.  He claimed
it had been diagnosed by his doctor as the same strain as the 1918-19
pandemic, and had doubtless been lying dormant in some leather-bound
volume in the interim.

This sounds to me EXTREMELY improbable; virus strain identification is not
a routine test now, let alone twenty years ago, and I wouldn't have thought
the virus had any chance of remaining viable that long in the Auckland
climate.  Comments?  Other sightings?

[ followups to alt.folklore.urban ]

--
--  Jack Campin   Computing Science Department, Glasgow University, 17 Lilybank
Gardens, Glasgow G12 8QQ, Scotland   041 339 8855 x6854 work  041 556 1878 home