[misc.headlines] Archeology student discovers remains of Incan settlement

werner@ut-ngp.UUCP (Werner Uhrig) (10/08/86)

[ well, someone created this group, so I might as well test it.
  The following article in this Sunday's paper had me exited: (and I quote only excerpts) ]

A graduate student is being credited with an archeological find in Peru that
could prove to be of major importance in understanding the perplexing history
of the Incas.

Reynaldo Chohfi, a native of Brasil, said he found the ruins last winter when
studying 30-years old aerial photographs of the region.  He recently returned
from Peru where he confirmed his analysis, climaxing a feat of scholarship
and adventure by uncovering the remains of a large settlement a few miles from
the most celebrated of all the Inca ruins, the village of Machu Picchu.

cc@locus.ucla.edu (Oleg "Kill the bastards" Kiselev) (10/09/86)

In article <4096@ut-ngp.UUCP> werner@ut-ngp.UUCP (Werner Uhrig) writes:
>A graduate student is being credited with an archeological find in Peru that
>could prove to be of major importance in understanding the perplexing history
>of the Incas.

A rumour is that Peruvian Gov't tried to take all credit for the find, but
backed off after the said student had published his photos in the newspapers.