[misc.headlines] COMPUTER USER ARRESTED!

dave@westmark.UUCP (Dave Levenson) (09/19/87)

From the Echoes-Sentines, Somerset County, NJ, Sept. 17, 1987:

GILLETTE RESIDENT IS ARRESTED AFTER SHOOTING HIS COMPUTER

PASSAIC TWP. -- A Gillette man was arrested at his home last
Thursday night after he fired eight bullets at his home computer,
according to police.

The man, Michael A. Case, 35, of 64 Summit Ave., was arrested
shortly after 11 p.m., at his house, when police said they received
a report that shots were fired.  They arrived at the home to find
a .44 Magnum automatic handgun and a shot-up IBM personal computer
with a Princeton Graphics System monitor.

The monitor screen was blown out by the blasts and its inner
workings were visible, Lt. Donald Van Tassel said on Monday.  The
computer, which had bullet holes in its hardware, was hit four times
while four more bullet holes were found in various areas next to the
computer, Van Tassel said.

"The only thing he (Case) said was that he was mad at his computer
so he shot it," Van Tassel said.

The handgun, which the lieutenant identified as an Israeli Arms
Desert Eagle .44, has "a lot of firepower," he said.  "It's a big
gun."  Case used hollow-point, or dum-dum, bullets, he added.

Case was surprised when police arrested him because he didn't think
he was breaking the law, Van Tassel said. "He couldn't understand
why he couldn't shoot his own computer in his own home," Van Tassel
said.

Case was charged with recklessly creating a risk and using a firearm
against the property of another, because the house is reportedly
owned by a relative.  The walls were also damaged by the shots,
according to police.

He was also charged with unlawful posession of a firearm without a
permit, and with possession of illegal bullets, police said.

In addition, Case was issued to summonses, for discharging a weapon
in a restricted area and for discharging a single-projectile weapon,
police said.

Case spent early Friday morning in the Morris County Jail and was
released later in the day on $2,500 bail, according to police.

A Municipal Court appearance is scheduled for today, Sept. 17.
--
Dave Levenson
Westmark, Inc.		A node for news.

johnm@auscso.UUCP (09/20/87)

This is fairly humorous.  I don't agree with what he did at all.  But,
I think it is ludicrous that one of the charges was unlawful possesion.
I'm glad I live in Texas where I don't need a permit to own my handgun,
or any of my long-guns.
--
John B. Meaders, Jr.  1114 Camino La Costa #3083, Austin, TX  78752
ATT:  Voice:  +1 (512) 451-5038  Data:  +1 (512) 371-0550

omega@ut-ngp.UUCP (Omega.Mosley`) (09/20/87)

In article <352@auscso.UUCP>, johnm@auscso.UUCP (John B. Meaders) writes:
> This is fairly humorous.  I don't agree with what he did at all.  But,
> I think it is ludicrous that one of the charges was unlawful possesion.
> I'm glad I live in Texas where I don't need a permit to own my handgun,
> or any of my long-guns.

...amen to that, John. Although I can sort of sympathize with the guy. Sometimesthese machines we use can stab us in the back if we don`t watch them closely.

...Just to show you that the courts are prejudices towards IBM, had it been
an Apple ][ or a C64 he shot, he probably wouldn't have even been arrested!

...what about the Mac? That's NOT a computer, is it???

						OM

paul@aucs.UUCP (Paul Steele) (09/21/87)

In article <6315@ut-ngp.UUCP> omega@ut-ngp.UUCP (Omega.Mosley`) writes:
>In article <352@auscso.UUCP>, johnm@auscso.UUCP (John B. Meaders) writes:
>> This is fairly humorous.  I don't agree with what he did at all.  But,
>> I think it is ludicrous that one of the charges was unlawful possesion.
>> I'm glad I live in Texas where I don't need a permit to own my handgun,
>> or any of my long-guns.

This is typical of most...  Why does anyone need a gun?  I haven't owned
one and never will need to.  Guns should be limited to law enforcement!

shz@pierce.UUCP (S. Zirin) (09/21/87)

In article <170@westmark.UUCP> dave@westmark.UUCP writes:
>From the Echoes-Sentines, Somerset County, NJ, Sept. 17, 1987:
>GILLETTE RESIDENT IS ARRESTED AFTER SHOOTING HIS COMPUTER
>PASSAIC TWP. -- A Gillette man was arrested at his home last
>
>He was also charged with unlawful posession of a firearm without a
>			  ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>permit, and with possession of illegal bullets, police said.
>^^^^^^

It is my understanding (as related to me by a Bernards TWP police officer) that
one does not a permit to *possess* a firearm in NJ, only to *buy* or *tote* one
around.

Seth
ihnp4!pierce!shz

mike@ivory.SanDiego.NCR.COM (Michael Lodman) (09/21/87)

In article <352@auscso.UUCP> johnm@auscso.UUCP (John B. Meaders, Jr.) writes:
>I'm glad I live in Texas where I don't need a permit to own my handgun,
>or any of my long-guns.

I'm glad I don't live in Texas where any yahoo doesn't need a permit to
own a handgun or any longgun.

--
Michael Lodman  (619) 485-3335
Advanced Development NCR Corporation E&M San Diego

When you die, if you've been very, very good, you'll go to ... Montana.

amos@taux01.UUCP (Amos Shapir) (09/21/87)

In article <352@auscso.UUCP> johnm@auscso.UUCP (John B. Meaders, Jr.) writes:
>I'm glad I live in Texas where I don't need a permit to own my handgun,
>or any of my long-guns.

Before you hit that 'f' key: remember, this newsgroup is for headlines,
not gun-laws discussions! Please direct follow-ups to rec.guns, misc.legal
or whatever, by editing the 'Newsgroups:' line!

(Just noticed that comp.sys.ibm.pc is there too - same for them, only more so).
--
	Amos Shapir			(My other cpu is a NS32532)
National Semiconductor (Israel)

tr@wind.bellcore.com (tom reingold) (09/21/87)

In article <352@auscso.UUCP> johnm@auscso.UUCP (John B. Meaders, Jr.) writes:
$ This is fairly humorous.  I don't agree with what he did at all.  But,
$ I think it is ludicrous that one of the charges was unlawful possesion.
$ I'm glad I live in Texas where I don't need a permit to own my handgun,
$ or any of my long-guns.
$ --
$ John B. Meaders, Jr.

We're all glad you live there and we don't.  You can have your handgun
and your state if that's what it's worth to you.  And though it's not
my quote, I think it's apt: "Guns don't kill people, bullets kill
people."

A followup has been directed to alt.flame.

Name:		Tom Reingold
Disclaimer:	Nothing I say is an opinion.
INTERNET:       tr@bellcore.bellcore.com
UUCP: 		<backbone>!bellcore!tr

jru@etn-rad.UUCP (John Unekis) (09/22/87)

I have heard a story about the first man to shoot a computer, I can't
confirm it, but it is an interesting anecdote.

One of the first digital computers was named Whirlwind (not an acronym),
it was an expiremental university project which was used to test such
revolutionary ideas as rewritable core memory, as well as some not-so-
revolutionary ideas like oscilloscope storage tube memories which held
2K bits apeice. This computer reached the amazing speed of 300 integer
multiplies a second using electromechanical relay switches in its ALU.
Each digit of the ALU was a circuit card the size of a door.

When digital hardware advanced into the transistor age, the Whirlwind
was kept around as a sort of museum exhibit at the university, and the
of maintaining this large room sized behemoth became largely the duty of
a single engineer.

When this engineer retired, no one else had enough familiarity with the
Whirlwind to keep it running, so the machine was given to the engineer
as a retirement gift. He had grown so fond of the machine that he took
it home and moved it to his basement where he had a legal shooting range.
The whirlwind spent the next few years holding up targets while the
engineer shot at them.

Several years later the Smithsonian Museum went looking for the Whirlwind
to be placed in a display on computer technology. They traced it down to
the engineers house, where they found the machine shot to pieces. Still
determined to have the Whirlwind in their display, the representatives of
the museum rescued a couple of circuit boards which were out of the line of
fire, along with several peripheral devices. These are now sitting in the
Smithsonian in front of an enlarged photograph of what the rest of the
machine looked like.

If anyone has more detail on this story, please share it.

johnm@auscso.UUCP (John B. Meaders) (09/22/87)

If the citizens don't own guns, only the outlaws will!  I don't feel like
arguing with any bleeding hearts, but I cherish my right to own firearms.
BTW...  I have defended the rights of citizens for 4 years, 2 on Active duty
in the Army and 2 in the Army Reserve, and I feel that law-abiding citizens
that want to own weapons should be able to own them.  Because, if we are
ever attacked it may be a arms-bearing citizen who saves my life or a buddy's
life.  Enough said.
--

aja@i.cc.purdue.edu (Mike Rowan) (09/22/87)

In article <367@auscso.UUCP>, johnm@auscso.UUCP (John B. Meaders) writes:
> If the citizens don't own guns, only the outlaws will!  I don't feel like
> arguing with any bleeding hearts, but I cherish my right to own firearms.
> BTW...  I have defended the rights of citizens for 4 years, 2 on Active duty
> in the Army and 2 in the Army Reserve, and I feel that law-abiding citizens
> that want to own weapons should be able to own them.  Because, if we are
       ^^^^ keyword.  The citizen should be able to own firearms.
       lets not argue over politics. things get heated enof with
       what *IS* said.
BTW : I DO NOT live in texas. i was/am/ever-shall-be a bostonian.

nyssa@terminus.UUCP (The Prime Minister) (09/22/87)

In article <367@auscso.UUCP> johnm@auscso.UUCP (John B. Meaders, Jr.) writes:
>                                                      Because, if we are
>ever attacked it may be a arms-bearing citizen who saves my life or a buddy's
>life.  Enough said.

				ARMAGEDDON TIMES

				NEWS FLASH!!!!!!

		John B. Meaders, Jr. saves Austin with handgun!

	(AP- Any day now...)  During last night's nuclear attack on
the United States by the Soviet Union, John B. Meaders, Jr. of Austin
Texas saved Austin by firing his handgun at the nuclear warhead as
it was about to detonate.  John apparently used great skill in shooting
at the device, as he was able to hit the arming mechanism on an 18,000
MPH warhead and inhibit detonation.

	Only 34 people died as the warhead crashed into the University
of Texas tower (site of one of the worst civilian massacres by guns
in US history).  AEC officials, quickly on the scene, indicated that
the radioactive material spread over Austin after the crash would
render the area uninhabitable until cleaning crews were able to
clean the area.  When asked when this was likely to occur, the offical
said that all the crews were killed in nuclear explosions in other parts
of the United States, and that it would take three years for a new local
crew to be trained.

	"It's kind of ironic," said the Commissioner, "but almost as
many people will now die from the radiation than would have died if the
bomb exploded.  It's unfortunate that Austin doesn't have enough civil
defense shelters to protect the whole population for three years, and
the decay of the plutonium in the bomb will last far longer than
any of the fissile products."

	John commented, "This country would now be safe if enough people
owned handguns so that they, too, could shoot down nuclear warheads and
keep their country safe.  I didn't serve four years defending this
country to see liberal pinko faggots deny my right to be armed to the
teeth.  You never know when you'll be able to save a comerade's life."

smvorkoetter@watmum.UUCP (09/22/87)

In article <367@auscso.UUCP> johnm@auscso.UUCP (John B. Meaders, Jr.) writes:
>If the citizens don't own guns, only the outlaws will!  I don't feel like
>arguing with any bleeding hearts, but I cherish my right to own firearms.
>BTW...  I have defended the rights of citizens for 4 years, 2 on Active duty
>in the Army and 2 in the Army Reserve, and I feel that law-abiding citizens
>that want to own weapons should be able to own them.  Because, if we are
>ever attacked it may be a arms-bearing citizen who saves my life or a buddy's
      ^^^^^^^^                                      ^^^^^
          +--- paranoid?                              +-- or "takes"

mike@ivory.SanDiego.NCR.COM (Michael Lodman) (09/22/87)

In article <367@auscso.UUCP> johnm@auscso.UUCP (John B. Meaders, Jr.) writes:
>If the citizens don't own guns, only the outlaws will!  I don't feel like
>arguing with any bleeding hearts, but I cherish my right to own firearms.
>... and I feel that law abiding citizens that want to own weapons
>should be able to own them.

I don't believe we were discussing your right to own firearms, but
rather your right to own them without registering them. I believe
that especially handguns should be registered, as they are really
only good for hunting one animal.

I'll try not to say anymore, as certain participants in this anarchy
complain if we don't keep the newsgroups rigidly compartmentalized.

--

raycomas@euler.rutgers.edu (Ray Comas) (09/22/87)

In article <2372@i.cc.purdue.edu>, aja@i.cc.purdue.edu (Mike Rowan) writes:
> In article <367@auscso.UUCP>, johnm@auscso.UUCP (John B. Meaders) writes:
> > If the citizens don't own guns, only the outlaws will!  I don't feel like
> > arguing with any bleeding hearts, but I cherish my right to own firearms.
[...]
> > that want to own weapons should be able to own them.  Because, if we are
>        ^^^^ keyword.  The citizen should be able to own firearms.
[etc.]

There have been several such postings recently, which prompts me to
ask the following question:
Why are people discussing gun control in comp.sys.ibm.pc?  This is not
the place for this debate.  I'm sure that there are other news groups
were this discussion is apropos, please move it there.  (I hope this
doesn't sound like nit-picking ...) Thank you.

windley@iris.ucdavis.edu (Phil Windley) (09/22/87)

In article <442@aucs.UUCP> paul@aucs.UUCP (Paul Steele) writes:
>In article <6315@ut-ngp.UUCP> omega@ut-ngp.UUCP (Omega.Mosley`) writes:
>>In article <352@auscso.UUCP>, johnm@auscso.UUCP (John B. Meaders) writes:
>>> This is fairly humorous.  I don't agree with what he did at all.  But,
>>> I think it is ludicrous that one of the charges was unlawful possesion.
>>> I'm glad I live in Texas where I don't need a permit to own my handgun,
>>> or any of my long-guns.
>
>This is typical of most...  Why does anyone need a gun?  I haven't owned
>one and never will need to.  Guns should be limited to law enforcement!

My father would say the same of computers...

Phil Windley
Robotics Research Lab
University of California, Davis

jim@ccd700.UUCP (09/23/87)

In article <442@aucs.UUCP>, paul@aucs.UUCP writes:
> In article <6315@ut-ngp.UUCP> omega@ut-ngp.UUCP (Omega.Mosley`) writes:
> >In article <352@auscso.UUCP>, johnm@auscso.UUCP (John B. Meaders) writes:
> >> This is fairly humorous.  I don't agree with what he did at all.  But,
> >> I think it is ludicrous that one of the charges was unlawful possesion.
> >> I'm glad I live in Texas where I don't need a permit to own my handgun,
> >> or any of my long-guns.
>
> This is typical of most...  Why does anyone need a gun?  I haven't owned
> one and never will need to.  Guns should be limited to law enforcement!

And discussions pertaining to guns should be limited to rec.kill.maim,
or wherever it is they discuss such things. Not comp.sys.ibm.pc

Jim Sitek

windley@iris.ucdavis.edu (Phil Windley) (09/23/87)

In article <1673@terminus.UUCP> nyssa@terminus.UUCP (The Valeyard) writes:

>                 AEC officials, quickly on the scene,

What century did you get off in?  AEC?  The AEC hasn't existed in over
a decade.  :-)

--phil--

jay@splut.UUCP (Jay Maynard) (09/24/87)

In article <442@aucs.UUCP>, paul@aucs.UUCP (Paul Steele) writes:
> In article <6315@ut-ngp.UUCP> omega@ut-ngp.UUCP (Omega.Mosley`) writes:
> >In article <352@auscso.UUCP>, johnm@auscso.UUCP (John B. Meaders) writes:
> >> I'm glad I live in Texas where I don't need a permit to own my handgun,
> >> or any of my long-guns.
>
> This is typical of most...  Why does anyone need a gun?  I haven't owned
> one and never will need to.  Guns should be limited to law enforcement!

Typical of most WHAT?

COme on, folks...Let's move the gun control discussion out of
comp.sys.ibm.pc, and into misc.headlines where Tim Sevener can flame at
us...

--
Jay Maynard, K5ZC (@WB5BBW)...>splut!< | uucp: hoptoad!academ!uhnix1!splut!jay
Never ascribe to malice that which can | or {sun!housun,uunet}!nuchat!-^

dalegass@dalcsug.UUCP (09/27/87)

This is crazy.  I agree that this gun discussion doesn't belong here, but
I'm sure there've been more aritcles posted complaining about it being here
than were in the actual gun discussion.

So I guess I'll start another sublevel: notes complaining about notes
complaining about notes.

-dalegass@dalcsug.uucp