[misc.headlines] Gun licensing proposal

jwl@ernie.Berkeley.EDU.UUCP (10/16/87)

In article <1742@homxc.UUCP> mlo@homxc.UUCP (Mark Lo) writes:
>Even if you don't agree handguns should be banned (as I do), you MUST
>agree that it is FAR too easy to obtain them.  For the most part, there
>is no guarantee that someone who buys a gun will know how to use it
>competently.  At the very least, licensing procedures must be made
>difficult enough to prevent any idiot from owning a gun

That's a proposal I can live with.  How about a test similar to that
used for training cops...as you walk through a building simulating a
dark alley or other dangerous situation, "good guy" and "bad guy"
targets pop up...if you shoot an innocent bystander, you fail.
Maybe different tests could be used for those wishing to carry a
concealed weapon, and those who wish to keep their guns at home.
The test should be rigorous enough to keep trigger-happy idiots
from passing, yet passable by an average person (perhaps after a
nominal amount of formal training).

-- Jim Lewis
   U.C. Berkeley