[misc.headlines] If it hurts somebody, make a law

erict@flatline.UUCP (eric townsend) (04/06/88)

In article <8497@codas.att.com>, dlm@codas.att.com (Don_Million) writes:
> landovtz@phoenix.Princeton.EDU (Keith Landovitz) writes:
> > Guns kill people.  People use guns to kill people.

> Cars kill people too, so do stairways.  In fact, if you check National
> Safety Council statistics, you'll find almost 13,000 people die every
> year by falling down stairs.

(An unrelated fact:)
According to a recent book on accidents in the U.S.S.R. (can't remember
it's title right this instant), about 500 Soviet citizens die every
year from fires that were started by exploding television sets.  I guess
ours are safer?

>                            I guess we'd better just outlaw everything
> that could possibly kill anybody, and then we'd all live happily ever
> after.

We can be even more efficient.  Studies have shown that exercise improves
overall health, and probably extends life-span. Anybody failing to exercise
regularly will be shot.  Anybody failing to display a black velvet
portrait of Ed Meese in their living room will be shot.  Stay in your homes.
Do exactly what you're told.  Do only exactly what you are told.  Individual
choice is disruptive.  Weekend sports broadcasts will continue as planned.

--
... They'll take the place apart -- Any minute now -- I've seen it happen
before on Mercury where we put out a Cool Issue  -- And the law is moving in