[net.sf-lovers] TFS summary--Fol

dub@pur-phy.UUCP (Dwight) (10/28/84)

> From: jrrt@hogpd.UUCP (R.MITCHELL)
>
> Po, the god of Decay, is most probably Poe, as in Edgar Allen, and not
> Pohl as I had originally suggested.  Instead, Pohl may be identified
> by Fol, the god of Distortion, but I'm still not sure why.

	How do you get Fol (god of distortion) out of Phol?  Here goes.
You distort Pohl's middle letters and you get Phol which can be shortened
to Fol (in a similar manner that fish can be lengthened into phish.)

			       Dwight Bartholomew
UUCP:{ decvax, icalqa, ihnp4, inuxc, sequent, uiucdcs  }!pur-ee!pur-phy!dub
     { decwrl, hplabs, icase, psuvax1, siemens, ucbvax }|purdue!pur-phy!dub

davidl@orca.UUCP (David Levine) (11/03/84)

My best guess is that Fol, the god of Distortion, is Phil Foglio (pronounced
"folio").  Foglio, winner of three (?) Fan Artist hugos, is a cartoonist and
caricaturist, ergo a god of distortion.

Eccar the Man is definitely Forrie Ackerman, "a mortal (fan) raised up to the
status of a god."  I am unsure of the significance of the triangle as his
symbol.

Others not mentioned in the base article:

	N'veen, god of tides - Larry Niven ("There is a Tide", "Neutron Star")
	Elcin, "midget god of thunder and loud noises" - Harlan Ellison
	Rot'n'bair, the god of sheep - Gene Roddenberry (his symbol is the
		horned box (TV) and his avatar is a malformed changeling
		(Spock) - my guess is that the sheep are Trekkies)
	Nils'n, the slime god, enemy of Rot'n'bair - Neilsen (ratings)
	Filfo-mar, god of rivers - Phillip Jose Farmer ("Riverworld")
	Caff, god of dragons - Anne McCaffrey ("Dragon{flight,quest,song,etc.}")

(There may be more - it's been a few years since I read it.)

In addition, all the female natives have the first names of female SF authors.
The balloon "Cathawk" and the statement "The Cathawk has landed" seem to imply
some kinship with the Eagle of Apollo 11.  Oells and Virn, the two suns, are
H.G. (not Orson) Welles and Jules Verne.

As far as anyone I know has ever determined, there is no fannish meaning to
the names Shoogar and Lant, or several other male natives.  There also seems
to be no god based on David Gerrold.

David D. Levine  (...decvax!tektronix!tekecs!davidl)          [UUCP]
                 (tekecs!davidl.tektronix@csnet-relay.csnet)  [ARPA]

"APA:DAVID isn't dead, it's just very very very late..." - D.S. Cargo