[misc.headlines] Computer industry competition

pick@sdsu.UUCP (Dan Pick) (04/19/89)

Today's announcement that CDC is getting out of the
supercomputer business, and last week's announcement
by NEC of its release of the SX-X,  raise a lot of questions
about the US ability to remain competitive in
supercomputer technology.  Is anyone else out there
concerned about the state of the US industry
in relation to the Japanese?

It seems to me that we're potentially witnessing
a repeat of the semiconductor and television industry
disasters, whereby we "hollow" out our own industries
only to see them overtaken by Japanese manufacturers.
This situation cuts across a broad range of issues:
the current lack of interest of students in science
and mathematics, trade practices and policies in
the US and Japan, American management practices that
stress short-term gains over product quality and
customer service, and a budget deficit that creates
an enormous drag on productivity.

When are we going to pull ourselves together and
start moving ahead, instead of quitting before the
race even starts?

Dan Pick                       |  USENET: pick@sdsu.ucsd.edu
Dept. of Mathematical Sciences |
San Diego State University     |

eugene@eos.UUCP (Eugene Miya) (04/19/89)

In article <3714@sdsu.UUCP> pick@sdsu.UUCP (Dan Pick) writes:
>Today's announcement that CDC is getting out of the
>supercomputer business, and last week's announcement
>by NEC of its release of the SX-X,  raise a lot of questions
>about the US ability to remain competitive in
>supercomputer technology.  Is anyone else out there
>concerned about the state of the US industry
>in relation to the Japanese?

Why, what do you care?  Why and how do you want to compete?

>It seems to me that we're potentially witnessing
>a repeat of the semiconductor and television industry
>disasters, whereby we "hollow" out our own industries
>only to see them overtaken by Japanese manufacturers.
>This situation cuts across a broad range of issues:
>the current lack of interest of students in science
>and mathematics, trade practices and policies in
>the US and Japan, American management practices that
>stress short-term gains over product quality and
>customer service, and a budget deficit that creates
>an enormous drag on productivity.

If Americans want a quick buck, cheap products, shoddy service,
so long as its all shared equally, why should we care?  What disaster?
Are you more (or less) concern about steel mills and ship yards?
You know planned obsolence: a method for keeping employment up. JOBS.
Got start someplace.

If students want MTV and don't want math, isn't that their CHOICE?
If they want to study rock music, or get MBAs, or be lawyers, astrologists,
preachers, isn't that their CHOICE?  [*Choice: a word in a Tom Robbins book]

Aren't Japanese students all nerds?  Didn't they make some remarks
about our ethnic diversity? (Negative sense)  Isn't it a society which
where people all lose their individuality?  Are they seeking to
find creativity?  After all wasn't it in the US of A where
warmer temperature superconductors and now cool fusion came?
It's this the land of Apples and H-P, the AMERICAN enterpeneur?
Aren't they just going to copy us and "steal" our ideas?

Aren't we the protector of the free world?  The hero for whom all defense
is dependent upon?  The policemen of free speech, civil rights, and
human rights?  Or do some of our ideas blow up in our faces: political
problems, environmental problems, social and economic problems?

Or perhaps, we could put some of that force (i mean defense) to use
and assign people to jobs, education, to defeat the menace.  Those
who take from our ideas.  Why maybe we could subjugate people into
an economic double standard?

>When are we going to pull ourselves together and
>start moving ahead, instead of quitting before the
>race even starts?

Perhaps never.  Are you prepared for this possibility?  (Some
Germans didn't.)  Do you rally around THE Flag?
Do you not have faith in the Puritan work ethic?  Or does this
have too many religious implications?  Or have all the Puritans
disappeared?  Are are the Puritans so prudish that they are a poor
role model?

How much do you really know about CDC or NEC?  Should we bail them out?

PERHAPS the solution does not lie in competition?  Perhaps
a future lies in cooperation?  Perhaps, OUR time is over? Perhaps....
Naw..... ;)

Tune in next week for another episode of Theodoric of York, Medevil
cynic....

Longish signature follows "Type 'n' now"

Another gross generalization from

--eugene miya, NASA Ames Research Center, eugene@aurora.arc.nasa.gov
  resident CYNIC at the Rock of Ages Home for Retired Hackers:
  "If my mail does not reach you, please accept my apology."
  {ncar,decwrl,hplabs,uunet}!ames!eugene
  				Live free or die.

limonce@pilot.njin.net (Tom Limoncelli) (04/19/89)

In article <3714@sdsu.UUCP> pick@sdsu.UUCP (Dan Pick) writes:

> supercomputer technology.  Is anyone else out there
> concerned about the state of the US industry
> in relation to the Japanese?

Are you *completely clueless*?  Look who we just elected?  Obviously,
the sad answer is no.  We don't care.  We just want to fight a war on
drugs in white suburbia when the real drug problem is in the ghetto.
We want to be told we're going to pay less taxes even when we know
that they have to be raised.  We want a vice-president that is so
stupid that it makes our schools look good.  Yeah, that's the
solution!  We'll save money on our schools by making sure that our
role models are stupid... so people will grow up thinking that they
don't need an education.

The funniest two quotes in 1988:
    "Facts are stupid things" -- Clueless Ronnie R.
    "I want to become The Educational President" -- "Lie Through My Teeth" Bush

> Dan Pick                       |  USENET: pick@sdsu.ucsd.edu
> Dept. of Mathematical Sciences |
> San Diego State University     |

Tom
--
 Tom Limoncelli -- tlimonce@drunivac.Bitnet -- limonce@pilot.njin.net
            Drew University -- Madison, NJ -- 201-408-5389

cramer@optilink.UUCP (Clayton Cramer) (04/20/89)

In article <Apr.19.01.52.19.1989.7936@pilot.njin.net>, limonce@pilot.njin.net (Tom Limoncelli) writes:
> In article <3714@sdsu.UUCP> pick@sdsu.UUCP (Dan Pick) writes:
>
> > supercomputer technology.  Is anyone else out there
> > concerned about the state of the US industry
> > in relation to the Japanese?

Look.  I didn't vote for Bush, but this guy Limoncelli's claims are
just NONSENSE.

> Are you *completely clueless*?  Look who we just elected?  Obviously,
> the sad answer is no.  We don't care.  We just want to fight a war on
> drugs in white suburbia when the real drug problem is in the ghetto.

Are you referring to Washington, DC when you talk about "white suburbia"?
Are you talking about Hunter's Point in San Francisco, which has over
a 1000 arrests a month, most of them crack related?  I happen to think
the "war on drugs" is really a "war on civil liberties", but it's
not being fought in the suburbs, while ignoring ghettos.

> We want to be told we're going to pay less taxes even when we know
> that they have to be raised.  We want a vice-president that is so

Nope.  Bush didn't promise lower taxes.  He promised not to raise
them.  Get the facts straight, please!  (Of course, cutting spending
on boondoggles like food price supports, and reducing U.S. spending
on defense of Europe never seems to come up when liberals talk about
raising taxes -- which shows that the real goal isn't balancing the
budget, it's making the government bigger).

> stupid that it makes our schools look good.  Yeah, that's the
> solution!  We'll save money on our schools by making sure that our
> role models are stupid... so people will grow up thinking that they
> don't need an education.
>
> > Dan Pick                       |  USENET: pick@sdsu.ucsd.edu

>  Tom Limoncelli -- tlimonce@drunivac.Bitnet -- limonce@pilot.njin.net

Our VP is no mental giant -- but he's no stupider than a lot of
the other dolts in Congress.  (Sen. Cranston, for example, or
Sen. Jesse Helms).
--
Clayton E. Cramer                   {pyramid,pixar,tekbspa}!optilink!cramer
Governments that don't trust most people with weapons, deserve no trust.

eugene@eos.UUCP (Eugene Miya) (04/22/89)

I have been having some very interesting private discussion
with people in both Asia and Europe.

While attention seems to be focused on Japan, the other people also
express concern with both West Germany and Korea (and Singapore).
Both wondered why no concern there, so I inject these two nations
into the discussion while removing sci.edu from the newsgroups line.

Longish signature follows "Type 'n' now"

Another gross generalization from

--eugene miya, NASA Ames Research Center, eugene@aurora.arc.nasa.gov
  resident cynic at the Rock of Ages Home for Retired Hackers:
  "If my mail does not reach you, please accept my apology."
  {ncar,decwrl,hplabs,uunet}!ames!eugene
  				Live free or die.

hubey@pilot.njin.net (Hubey) (04/23/89)

What's all the fuss about.  Back when I was getting my PhD, some
students and I had a discussion of this sort. It was more like who had
the world's best mathematicians, USSR or USA.  I still remember the
answer my Professor gave.  He said "America--because the whole free
world works for America".  I suppose one can extend it to Physicists,
Engineers, Computer Scientists, etc, etc,..

The point is this;  As long as India, Taiwan, Japan, Arab Countries,
Europe, etc are willing to send their best people to get PhD's here,
and as long as American Universtities are willing to give them
scholarships to support their years of study and as long as the
Immigration and Naturalization Department is willing to give Resident
status to them so that later they can become American citizens and
work for American companies, WHAT IS THERE TO WORRY ABOUT.

As long as natiave-born American students can have their MTVs, their
cars and stereos and jobs why should they study CS, and ENgineering
etc etc etc.

I am not complaining...not at all...There is nothing to worry about...
It will be like this for a long time .... America is a big country and
there is lots of rooom...  Let them come... Let us go back to our
work..

BTW; I was born in a foreign country........

mark
--

     H.M. Hubey                     VOICE: 201-893-5269
 hubey@OSultrix.montclair.edu       hubey@pilot.njin.net