[net.music] Some better guitarists than Fripp and Frith...

dht@druri.UUCP (Davis Tucker) (10/12/85)

>Clearly because they are all wrong!  The best guitarists are Fred Frith
>and Robert Frip, and there can be *no* argument.

Oh *yes* there can...

1)  Jimi Hendrix (whom Fripp defers to as having more ability and soul)

2)  Jeff Beck    (who is probably the best living guitarist)

3)  Steve Morse  (Guitar Player's Musician Of The Year about three yrs running)

4)  Eric Johnson (Texas phenom, soon-to-be-released on Warner Bros)

5)  John McLaughlin (Mahavishnu Orchestra)

6)  Eddie Van Halen (Five thousand guitarists can't be wrong...)

7)  Johnny Winter (still crazy after all these years)

8)  B. B. King (who taught everybody how to play)

9)  Eric Clapton (who cares who taught him? He's still great)

10) And a host of other guitarists I don't have time to mention. Like Alvin
    Lee, John Scofield, Phil Manzanera ("807 Live"), James Blood Ulmer, Lead-
    belly, Jerry Reed (one fine picker), Chet Atkins, Les Paul, Django
    Reinhardt, Andres Segovia, Leslie West, Neil Schon (early days), Mike
    Rutherford, Skunk Baxter, Brian May, Stevie Ray Vaughan, Al DiMeola,
    Peter Green, Andy Partridge, Andy Gill, Jerry Garcia, Dave Edmunds,
    Dickie Betts, Duane Allman, J. J. Cale, Freddie King, Adrian Belew,
    Roy Buchanan, Ray Gomez, King Sunny Ade, Todd Rundgren (Utopia period),
    Steve Howe (the Yes days), Carlos Santana (fusion albums), Mike Stern
    (late of Miles Davis and Jaco), and of course, the King Of White Trash,
    Dino Lee his own bad self.

Davis Tucker

markm@grkermi.UUCP (Mark S. Miller) (10/15/85)

> >Clearly because they are all wrong!  The best guitarists are Fred Frith
> >and Robert Frip, and there can be *no* argument.
>
> Oh *yes* there can...

Let's not forget Pete Townsend (the Who) and David Gilmour (Pink Floyd).

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."

MSM

salzman@rdlvax.UUCP (Gumby) (10/16/85)

In article <1185@druri.UUCP> dht@druri.UUCP (Davis Tucker) writes:

>>Clearly because they are all wrong!  The best guitarists are Fred Frith
>>and Robert Frip, and there can be *no* argument.
>
>Oh *yes* there can...
>
>1)  Jimi Hendrix (whom Fripp defers to as having more ability and soul)
>
>2)  Jeff Beck    (who is probably the best living guitarist)
>
>3)  Steve Morse  (Guitar Player's Musician Of The Year about three yrs running)
>
>4)  Eric Johnson (Texas phenom, soon-to-be-released on Warner Bros)
>
>5)  John McLaughlin (Mahavishnu Orchestra)
>
>6)  Eddie Van Halen (Five thousand guitarists can't be wrong...)
>
>7)  Johnny Winter (still crazy after all these years)
>
>8)  B. B. King (who taught everybody how to play)
>
>9)  Eric Clapton (who cares who taught him? He's still great)
    .
    .
    .
>Davis Tucker

	Finally, someone with brains has something to say about guitar!!
I don't quite agree with all of this list, or it's order, but the point
is, there is no ONE greatest. To elaborate on this, has anyone ever
heard Eric Johnson play? I saw him at a club called Hop Singhs in Marina
Del-Rey (Calif), and he is phenominal! He did a solo acoustic show
there, and I swear, I've never heard anyone play acoustic guitar like
him, live or on vinal. He is scarry!!! Note: this opinion is coming from
a guitarist (and no amatuer at that...). Also, did anyone mention Alan
Holdsworth? He's kinda off the wall, but extremely creative. I'd call
him a jazz version of Robert Fripp. And what about some Jazz guitarists?
How about Lee Ritenauer (sp?), Larry Carlton? Larry plays with more feel
than anyone else I can think of. How about Steve Lukather? I've seen him
perform with Larry Carlton's old band, doing fusion. He's incredible.
I can't leave out my personal main influence on the guitar, because I
think that when it comes to guitar, this guy knows how to fit a solo to
a song like no one else can. I'm referring to Alex Lifeson of Rush.
More so in the older material than the new. Listen to songs like La
Villa Strangiato on Hemespheres (in fact, the whole album). Also, Moving
Pictures got some incredibly tasty work. At any rate, I've made my point.

How did this start anyway? With Jimi Page? Give me a break. The guy is
sloppy as hell. I saw him on the same stage as Clapton and Beck (ARMS
benefit at LA Forum), and I was not very impressed. I think Clapton
totally blew page away. And what he did at Live AID was discusting. The
solo he did on Stairway to Heaven stunk! I think Jimi's getting old. I
do say that he used to be quite a decent bluesman back in the early Zep
days, but he is totally out of date.....

 "...One likes to believe in the freedom of music. But glittering prizes
 and endless compromises shatter the illusion of integrity..."

			-Neal Peart (RUSH: from "The Spirit of Radio").
--
* Isaac Salzman (Gumby)
* UUCP: ...{ttidca,psivax}!rdlvax!salzman

wimp@sphinx.UChicago.UUCP (Jeff Haferman) (10/16/85)

>>Clearly because they are all wrong!  The best guitarists are Fred Frith
>>and Robert Frip, and there can be *no* argument.

>Oh *yes* there can...

>1)  Jimi Hendrix (whom Fripp defers to as having more ability and soul)

>2)  Jeff Beck    (who is probably the best living guitarist)

>3)  Steve Morse  (Guitar Player's Musician Of The Year about three yrs running)

>4)  Eric Johnson (Texas phenom, soon-to-be-released on Warner Bros)

>5)  John McLaughlin (Mahavishnu Orchestra)

>6)  Eddie Van Halen (Five thousand guitarists can't be wrong...)

>7)  Johnny Winter (still crazy after all these years)

>8)  B. B. King (who taught everybody how to play)

>9)  Eric Clapton (who cares who taught him? He's still great)

>10) And a host of other guitarists I don't have time to mention. Like Alvin
>    Lee, John Scofield, Phil Manzanera ("807 Live"), James Blood Ulmer, Lead-
>    belly, Jerry Reed (one fine picker), Chet Atkins, Les Paul, Django
>    Reinhardt, Andres Segovia, Leslie West, Neil Schon (early days), Mike
>    Rutherford, Skunk Baxter, Brian May, Stevie Ray Vaughan, Al DiMeola,
>    Peter Green, Andy Partridge, Andy Gill, Jerry Garcia, Dave Edmunds,
>    Dickie Betts, Duane Allman, J. J. Cale, Freddie King, Adrian Belew,
>    Roy Buchanan, Ray Gomez, King Sunny Ade, Todd Rundgren (Utopia period),
>    Steve Howe (the Yes days), Carlos Santana (fusion albums), Mike Stern
>    (late of Miles Davis and Jaco), and of course, the King Of White Trash,
>    Dino Lee his own bad self.

All of these guys are/were great.  I don't want to say who is better than
anyone else because it is a matter of personal opinion,  but a couple of
my favorites have been left out:

  1) Frank Zappa  (as it says on the back of SHUT UP AND PLAY YOUR GUITAR,
                   "FZ can play the guitar."  Check any Frank album if you
                   have doubts.)

  2) Doc Watson  (for you folk fans)

     Jeff Haferman

jeanne@ucla-cs.UUCP (10/17/85)

And let's not forget my personal favorite:

	Ritchie Blackmore

sykora@csd2.UUCP (Michael Sykora) (10/20/85)

I think you guys missed a few:

Pat Metheny, Wes Montgomery, Charlie Christian, B. B. King, Kenny Burrell,
Charlie Byrd, . . . and, of course, Michael Bloomfield.

And a couple of lesser known guitarists who I think are worth listening to:

Jack Wilkins is a fairly new (I believe) guitarist on the jazz scene who's
gotten good reviews.

Jimmy Vaughn (Stevie Ray Vaughn's brother) is a fine blues guitarist who
played (is still playing??) with a band called The Fabulous Thunderbirds.

							Mike Sykora

lp102911@sjuvax.UUCP (palena) (10/23/85)

In article <175@rdlvax.UUCP> salzman@rdlvax.UUCP (Gumby) writes:

>I can't leave out my personal main influence on the guitar, because I
>think that when it comes to guitar, this guy knows how to fit a solo to
>a song like no one else can. I'm referring to Alex Lifeson of Rush.

       ...his solos don't make any sense!!...

>How did this start anyway? With Jimi Page? Give me a break. The guy is

         ...Why?? Is Jimmy Page grody to the max!? Are you sherr!?...

>sloppy as hell. I saw him on the same stage as Clapton and Beck (ARMS

       ...I'd like to hear you construct some phrases as well as he did
       and then execute them perfectly.I bet you'd be far sloppier.And
       the way I understand it,he consistently received standing ovations
       at the ARMS benefits shows.In fact it got so bad that he was embar-
       rassed by the adulation he was receiving far and above the other two...

>benefit at LA Forum), and I was not very impressed. I think Clapton
>totally blew page away. And what he did at Live AID was discusting. The

       ...you know it's a shame Page didn't play with "The Firm" at Live-Aid,
       doing material that he's freshly rehearsed.I'm sick to death of hearing
       how "he's not as good as he used to be" when he still plays rock axe
       with plenty of heart in his new band...

>solo he did on Stairway to Heaven stunk! I think Jimi's getting old. I
>do say that he used to be quite a decent bluesman back in the early Zep
>days, but he is totally out of date.....

       ...*I do say* that he was the best British bluesman of them all.
       Today,when I hear "The Firm" I recognize the sound of Page's guitar.
       He has always been distinctive and always will be.Is this true of
       Lifeson? The fact remains that in the field of rock guitarists,Life-
       son was never in Page's league,and this can be said for most rock
       axemen.

                                   And you thought I never posted nothin'
                                       serious,

                                    Larry Palena
                                    lp102911@sjuvax

     N.B.     Any association with the Eclectic Electric Music Critic
            (or whatever he's calling himself today),is purely imagined.

kirsch@sjuvax.UUCP (P. Kirsch) (10/25/85)

In article <2440@sjuvax.UUCP> lp102911@sjuvax.UUCP (Larry Palena) writes:
>In article <175@rdlvax.UUCP> salzman@rdlvax.UUCP (Gumby) writes:
>>
>>I can't leave out my personal main influence on the guitar, because I
>>think that when it comes to guitar, this guy knows how to fit a solo to
>>a song like no one else can. I'm referring to Alex Lifeson of Rush.
>
>       ...his solos don't make any sense!!...

First of all-get one thing straight Larry--I'm not a big fan of Rush so
don't write this letter off as blind hero worship. Lifeson's solo's are not
entirely blues based if that's what you mean by "not making sense" but, they
do have (for the most part) a continuing coherency to them.

>>How did this start anyway? With Jimi Page? Give me a break. The guy is
>
>         ...Why?? Is Jimmy Page grody to the max!? Are you sherr!?...
>
>>sloppy as hell. I saw him on the same stage as Clapton and Beck (ARMS
>
>       ...I'd like to hear you construct some phrases as well as he did
>       and then execute them perfectly.I bet you'd be far sloppier.And
>       the way I understand it,he consistently received standing ovations
>       at the ARMS benefits shows.In fact it got so bad that he was embar-
>       rassed by the adulation he was receiving far and above the other two...

Well, I guess comparing the author of the first article to Jimmy Page is
a good way to measure Page's ability. Doe's the author of this article
make his living playing guitar??(If he does my apologies) The fact that
Page can't reconstruct his own solos is a bad mark on Page--it proves that
he was better than he is now. Of course he's going to recieve adulation at
the ARMS concert--he was able to stand without anyone's help--when any old
"superstar" plays live he's going to be applauded--whether he performs
well or not.

>>benefit at LA Forum), and I was not very impressed. I think Clapton
>>totally blew page away. And what he did at Live AID was discusting. The
>
>       ...you know it's a shame Page didn't play with "The Firm" at Live-Aid,
>       doing material that he's freshly rehearsed.I'm sick to death of hearing
>       how "he's not as good as he used to be" when he still plays rock axe
>       with plenty of heart in his new band...
>
>>solo he did on Stairway to Heaven stunk! I think Jimi's getting old. I
>>do say that he used to be quite a decent bluesman back in the early Zep
>>days, but he is totally out of date.....
>
>       ...*I do say* that he was the best British bluesman of them all.
>       Today,when I hear "The Firm" I recognize the sound of Page's guitar.
>       He has always been distinctive and always will be.Is this true of
>       Lifeson? The fact remains that in the field of rock guitarists,Life-
>       son was never in Page's league,and this can be said for most rock
>       axemen.

 Of course you can notice Page's guitar--it's because he plays that double       Gibson with the paper thin body--the distinctive part of his guitar is the
tone and the effects he uses not, his ability. Lifeson's tone is also distinct
and I could recognize one of his solos right away also. Granted, I think Page
WAS an excellent guitarist but I would have trouble changing that statement
to the present tense.

>                                   And you thought I never posted nothin'
>                                       serious,
>
>                                    Larry Palena
>                                    lp102911@sjuvax

(I guess that knife in the back's getting deeper huh Larry? :-))

>     N.B.     Any association with the Eclectic Electric Music Critic
>            (or whatever he's calling himself today),is purely imagined.

--

Another wunnerful letter from the semi-intelligent rotting brain of:

                              Paul Kirsch
                              St. Joseph's University
                              Philadelphia, Pa

{ astrovax | allegra | bpa | burdvax } !sjuvax!kirsch

Warning: Objects in Terminal Room are Closer than they Appear...

lp102911@sjuvax.UUCP (palena) (10/28/85)

In article <2457@sjuvax.UUCP> kirsch@sjuvax.UUCP (P. Kirsch) writes:
>In article <2440@sjuvax.UUCP> lp102911@sjuvax.UUCP (Larry Palena) writes:
>>>
>>       ...I'd like to hear you construct some phrases as well as he did
>>       and then execute them perfectly.I bet you'd be far sloppier.And
>>       the way I understand it,he consistently received standing ovations
>>       at the ARMS benefits shows.In fact it got so bad that he was embar-
>>       rassed by the adulation he was receiving far and above the other two...
>
>a good way to measure Page's ability. Doe's the author of this article

         ...Doe's the author of that article?? I thought it was some guy named
         Isaac.Wait a minute!!! Are we talking about the same article!??..

>Page can't reconstruct his own solos is a bad mark on Page--it proves that
>he was better than he is now. Of course he's going to recieve adulation at
>the ARMS concert--he was able to stand without anyone's help--when any old

          ...now this just goes to show the kind of people I'm dealing
          with here.The dude is in poor health and just kicks a drug
          habit and we all make jokes about it-ha,ha,ha!!.Then Roger Waters
          cries all over an album which is really just abject bullshit
          and I'm supposed to acknowledge that the album is good.You know
          what they say about ethics;Apply them like paint...

>"superstar" plays live he's going to be applauded--whether he performs
>well or not.
>

>>       ...you know it's a shame Page didn't play with "The Firm" at Live-Aid,
>>       doing material that he's freshly rehearsed.I'm sick to death of hearing
>>       how "he's not as good as he used to be" when he still plays rock axe
>>       with plenty of heart in his new band...
>>

>>       ...*I do say* that he was the best British bluesman of them all.
>>       Today,when I hear "The Firm" I recognize the sound of Page's guitar.
>>       He has always been distinctive and always will be.Is this true of
>>       Lifeson? The fact remains that in the field of rock guitarists,Life-
>>       son was never in Page's league,and this can be said for most rock
>>       axemen.
>
> Of course you can notice Page's guitar--it's because he plays that double       Gibson with the paper thin body--the distinctive part of his guitar is the
>tone and the effects he uses not, his ability. Lifeson's tone is also distinct
>and I could recognize one of his solos right away also. Granted, I think Page
>WAS an excellent guitarist but I would have trouble changing that statement
>to the present tense.

         ...so join the crowd,but I do believe you're a tad mistaken
         about the Cherry Gibson.That guitar is for all intents and
         purposes an SG.The addition of the twelve-string neck doesn't
         change it's tone that much.Now lots of rock guitarists use the
         SG,never heard any sound like him.And as far as I know they all
         use Marshall amps like him,still don't sound like him.When the
         man played a Strat,I could pick it out a mile away...

>>                                   And you thought I never posted nothin'
>>                                       serious,
>>
>>                                    Larry Palena
>>                                    lp102911@sjuvax
>
>(I guess that knife in the back's getting deeper huh Larry? :-))

       ...by now Doug Alan must be getting jealous,you're about to replace
       him as my net.music.favoriteperson :-)

kirsch@sjuvax.UUCP (P. Kirsch) (10/29/85)

In article <2468@sjuvax.UUCP> lp102911@sjuvax.UUCP (Larry Palena) writes:
>In article <2457@sjuvax.UUCP> kirsch@sjuvax.UUCP (P. Kirsch) writes:
>>In article <2440@sjuvax.UUCP> lp102911@sjuvax.UUCP (Larry Palena) writes:
>>>>
>>>       ...I'd like to hear you construct some phrases as well as he did
>>>       and then execute them perfectly.I bet you'd be far sloppier.And
>>>       the way I understand it,he consistently received standing ovations
>>>       at the ARMS benefits shows.In fact it got so bad that he was embar-
>>>       rassed by the adulation he was receiving far and above the other two...
>>
>>a good way to measure Page's ability. Doe's the author of this article
>
>         ...Doe's the author of that article?? I thought it was some guy named
>         Isaac.Wait a minute!!! Are we talking about the same article!??..
>
>>Page can't reconstruct his own solos is a bad mark on Page--it proves that
>>he was better than he is now. Of course he's going to recieve adulation at
>>the ARMS concert--he was able to stand without anyone's help--when any old
>
>          ...now this just goes to show the kind of people I'm dealing
>          with here.The dude is in poor health and just kicks a drug
>          habit and we all make jokes about it-ha,ha,ha!!.Then Roger Waters
 My goodness Larry! I didn't mean to make a joke about one of your gods--
I figured with your incredible wit in your other postings that you'd be able
to decipher a joke when you saw one.
>        cries all over an album which is really just abject bullshit
>          and I'm supposed to acknowledge that the album is good.You know
>          what they say about ethics;Apply them like paint...

Larry, I don't think very much about Roger Waters as a person so you can
cheap shot at him all day--but if you compared lifestyles Page wouldn't be very
high on anyone's list (read "In the Lap of the Gods" if you don't believe me.
I never asked you to acknowledge that the Wall is good--I'm just asking you to
wake up from your blind hero worship and realize that Jimmy Page is not what
he used to be. All musicians either get better or worse--they don't stay the
same--Page's problem is that he got a little lazy and stagnant and now he's
not what he used to be.

>>"superstar" plays live he's going to be applauded--whether he performs
>>well or not.
>>

>>>       ...you know it's a shame Page didn't play with "The Firm" at Live-Aid,
>>>       doing material that he's freshly rehearsed.I'm sick to death of hearing
>>>       how "he's not as good as he used to be" when he still plays rock axe
>>>       with plenty of heart in his new band...
>>>

>>>       ...*I do say* that he was the best British bluesman of them all.
>>>       Today,when I hear "The Firm" I recognize the sound of Page's guitar.
>>>       He has always been distinctive and always will be.Is this true of
>>>       Lifeson? The fact remains that in the field of rock guitarists,Life-
>>>       son was never in Page's league,and this can be said for most rock
>>>       axemen.
>>
>> Of course you can notice Page's guitar--it's because he plays that double       Gibson with the paper thin body--the distinctive part of his guitar is the
>>tone and the effects he uses not, his ability. Lifeson's tone is also distinct
>>and I could recognize one of his solos right away also. Granted, I think Page
>>WAS an excellent guitarist but I would have trouble changing that statement
>>to the present tense.
>>

>         ...so join the crowd,but I do believe you're a tad mistaken
>         about the Cherry Gibson.That guitar is for all intents and
>         purposes an SG.The addition of the twelve-string neck doesn't
>         change it's tone that much.Now lots of rock guitarists use the

In my opinion it does change the tone--and I know several people who agree
with me...
>         SG,never heard any sound like him.And as far as I know they all
>         use Marshall amps like him,still don't sound like him.When the
>         man played a Strat,I could pick it out a mile away...
>

>>>                                   And you thought I never posted nothin'
>>>                                       serious,
>>>
>>>                                    Larry Palena
>>>                                    lp102911@sjuvax
>>
>>(I guess that knife in the back's getting deeper huh Larry? :-))
>>

>       ...by now Doug Alan must be getting jealous,you're about to replace
>       him as my net.music.favoriteperson :-)
>
>>>     N.B.     Any association with the Eclectic Electric Music Critic
>>>            (or whatever he's calling himself today),is purely imagined.

For all who are wondering, No, Larry and I don't have daily swordfights
between us here on campus. (Grenades are more effective :-))

--

lp102911@sjuvax.UUCP (palena) (10/29/85)

In article <2477@sjuvax.UUCP> kirsch@sjuvax.UUCP (P. Kirsch) writes:
>In article <2468@sjuvax.UUCP> lp102911@sjuvax.UUCP (Larry Palena) writes:
>>In article <2457@sjuvax.UUCP> kirsch@sjuvax.UUCP (P. Kirsch) writes:
>>>In article <2440@sjuvax.UUCP> lp102911@sjuvax.UUCP (Larry Palena) writes:
>>>>>

>high on anyone's list (read "In the Lap of the Gods" if you don't believe me.

       ...see now this is what I mean!!! You probably bought that book when
       the ink was still wet,read it from cover to cover six times,and now
       that you're a star on oh-so-sophisticated net.music you deride it.Every-
       body loves the Big Blimp in the closet,but when they've got nothing
       better to do they post pieces making fun of it's creator!!!...

>I never asked you to acknowledge that the Wall is good--I'm just asking you to
>wake up from your blind hero worship and realize that Jimmy Page is not what
>he used to be. All musicians either get better or worse--they don't stay the
>same--Page's problem is that he got a little lazy and stagnant and now he's
>not what he used to be.

          ...your problem is that you won't let the dude take a new turn in
          his career!!! He's not gonna plug the Les Paul into 300,000 watts
          and flatten a stadium full of people anymore,and you can't deal
          with this!!! Say it like it is;you don't like what Page has done
          since the demise of Bonham...

>>> Of course you can notice Page's guitar--it's because he plays that double       Gibson with the paper thin body--the distinctive part of his guitar is the
>>>tone and the effects he uses not, his ability. Lifeson's tone is also distinct
>>>WAS an excellent guitarist but I would have trouble changing that statement
>>>to the present tense.
>>>

>>         ...so join the crowd,but I do believe you're a tad mistaken
>>         about the Cherry Gibson.That guitar is for all intents and
>>         purposes an SG.The addition of the twelve-string neck doesn't
>>         change it's tone that much.Now lots of rock guitarists use the
>
>In my opinion it does change the tone--and I know several people who agree
>with me...

          ...that's the axe he made famous by performing "Stairway to Heaven"
          on live.(In fact Gibson custom-made it for that reason.)I've heard
          live versions of STH and it didn't sound the same.He can get two
          different sounds out of the same axe!!!...

>>>(I guess that knife in the back's getting deeper huh Larry? :-))
>>>

>>       ...by now Doug Alan must be getting jealous,you're about to replace
>>       him as my net.music.favoriteperson :-)
>>

>For all who are wondering, No, Larry and I don't have daily swordfights
>between us here on campus. (Grenades are more effective :-))
>
>--

         ...you see,I read net.bizarre,and frankly Paul,I FEEL SORRY FOR
         YOU!! Your missin' an important piece!!! Folks,we're talkin' about
         a guy who tried to cheese his hunger away by cooking "Combos" in
         a 7-11 micro-wave,and then got pissed when they exploded!!I rest
         my case...

>Warning: Objects in Terminal Room are Closer than they Appear...

                             Larry Palena

{ astrovax | allegra | bpa | burdvax } !sjuvax!lp102911

In article <2482@sjuvax.UUCP> lp102911@sjuvax.UUCP (Larry Palena) writes:
>In article <2477@sjuvax.UUCP> kirsch@sjuvax.UUCP (P. Kirsch) writes:
>>>>>>

>>high on anyone's list (read "In the Lap of the Gods" if you don't believe me.
>
>       ...see now this is what I mean!!! You probably bought that book when
>       the ink was still wet,read it from cover to cover six times,and now
>       that you're a star on oh-so-sophisticated net.music you deride it.Every-
>       body loves the Big Blimp in the closet,but when they've got nothing
>       better to do they post pieces making fun of it's creator!!!...

Actually Larry, I never bought the book--a friend of mine owns it. Are
you going to deny some of the stories in the book?--Like the time Page
and Bonham tied a woman down spread eagle on a bed and stuck raw fish in
her you-know-what. I still like Led Zeppelin and I will even though I think
that as a person, Page is a consumate asshole. I also think Roger Waters is
a consumate asshole but I don't listen to his music for the type of
person he is either. I attacked Page because you decided that to judge
Pink Floyd on Roger Water's personal life. Oh Larry, by the way--David
Gilmour from Pink Floyd is a pretty damn good guitarist too. (Even you-
the consumate Wall hater-must have heard the searing solo to the end of
"Comfortably Numb" on the radio.)

>>I never asked you to acknowledge that the Wall is good--I'm just asking you to
>>wake up from your blind hero worship and realize that Jimmy Page is not what
>>he used to be. All musicians either get better or worse--they don't stay the
>>same--Page's problem is that he got a little lazy and stagnant and now he's
>>not what he used to be.
>
>          ...your problem is that you won't let the dude take a new turn in
>          his career!!! He's not gonna plug the Les Paul into 300,000 watts
>          and flatten a stadium full of people anymore,and you can't deal
>          with this!!! Say it like it is;you don't like what Page has done
>          since the demise of Bonham...

You're quite correct, I don't like it. I guess he did take a new turn in
his career but it was a turn downward. For an example of a turn upward,
try Jeff Beck.

>>>         ...so join the crowd,but I do believe you're a tad mistaken
>>>         about the Cherry Gibson.That guitar is for all intents and
>>>         purposes an SG.The addition of the twelve-string neck doesn't
>>>         change it's tone that much.Now lots of rock guitarists use the
>>
>>In my opinion it does change the tone--and I know several people who agree
>>with me...
>
>          ...that's the axe he made famous by performing "Stairway to Heaven"
>          on live.(In fact Gibson custom-made it for that reason.)I've heard
>          live versions of STH and it didn't sound the same.He can get two
>          different sounds out of the same axe!!!...

Wow! *TWO* different sounds out of the same "axe" (God I hate that term--it's
not used to chop down trees so why call it an axe??)--it's amazing what a
flick of the pickup switch can do!

>>>       ...by now Doug Alan must be getting jealous,you're about to replace
>>>       him as my net.music.favoriteperson :-)
>>>

>>For all who are wondering, No, Larry and I don't have daily swordfights
>>between us here on campus. (Grenades are more effective :-))
>>
>>--
>>

>         ...you see,I read net.bizarre,and frankly Paul,I FEEL SORRY FOR
>         YOU!! Your missin' an important piece!!! Folks,we're talkin' about
>         a guy who tried to cheese his hunger away by cooking "Combos" in
>         a 7-11 micro-wave,and then got pissed when they exploded!!I rest
>         my case...

Actually, I didn't get pissed when they exploded--I found it quite funny.
It was the girl working in there that got pissed.

In article <2484@sjuvax.UUCP> kirsch@sjuvax.UUCP (P. Kirsch) writes:
>In article <2482@sjuvax.UUCP> lp102911@sjuvax.UUCP (Larry Palena) writes:

   ...seven cross references!!!! It's gotta be a world's record!!!...

>>>high on anyone's list (read "In the Lap of the Gods" if you don't believe me.
>>
>>       ...see now this is what I mean!!! You probably bought that book when
>>       the ink was still wet,read it from cover to cover six times,and now
>>       that you're a star on oh-so-sophisticated net.music you deride it.Every-
>>       body loves the Big Blimp in the closet,but when they've got nothing
>>       better to do they post pieces making fun of it's creator!!!...
>
>Actually Larry, I never bought the book--a friend of mine owns it. Are

         ...you know what they say about birds of a feather.You were pro-
         bably too chintzy to pay the $12.00 to buy it...

>you going to deny some of the stories in the book?--Like the time Page
>and Bonham tied a woman down spread eagle on a bed and stuck raw fish in
>her you-know-what. I still like Led Zeppelin and I will even though I think

        ...for the record the story is this;

             Peter Grant and Peter Cole were fishing out a window of
           a motel in Washington State,and were having a good day.In
           fact they had several small sharks hanging in the closet of
           the motel room they were fishing from.A young groupie came
           around to their room looking for the honor of being violated
           by a member of the Zep entourage.So she submitted to being
           tied to the bed and roguered by a shark's nose.Grant claims
           that she enjoyed it and was perfectly willing.Page was nowhere
           around...

>that as a person, Page is a consumate asshole. I also think Roger Waters is

        ...a CONSUMMATE ASSHOLE!!! How could you call a guy who owns cas-
        tles a consummate asshole?? A guy who owns about six cars and doesn't
        know how to drive?? A world-reknowned Satanist!!??...

>a consumate asshole but I don't listen to his music for the type of
>person he is either. I attacked Page because you decided that to judge
>Pink Floyd on Roger Water's personal life. Oh Larry, by the way--David

         ...DID I???!!! When?!! I said that "The Wall" is a shitty album,
         undoubtedly Floyd's worst,and certainly not deserved of its place
         on that stupid poll.You introduced (quite irrelevantly) the fact
         that it was Water's autobiog.What this has to do with the over-
         all quality of the album is obviously beyond my ability to see...

>Gilmour from Pink Floyd is a pretty damn good guitarist too. (Even you-
>the consumate Wall hater-must have heard the searing solo to the end of
>"Comfortably Numb" on the radio.)

         ...actually there are some songs on that album that I like.
         The song that ends with the babbling telephone operator is,
         in my opinion,notable for it's guitar parts...

>>          ...your problem is that you won't let the dude take a new turn in
>>          his career!!! He's not gonna plug the Les Paul into 300,000 watts
>>          and flatten a stadium full of people anymore,and you can't deal
>>          with this!!! Say it like it is;you don't like what Page has done
>>          since the demise of Bonham...
>
>You're quite correct, I don't like it. I guess he did take a new turn in
>his career but it was a turn downward. For an example of a turn upward,
>try Jeff Beck.

             ...ha,ha,ha,ha!!!! All those years of hangin' around with
             Hammer and McLaughlin's protege` haven't left a mark on him.
             He hasn't improved in the slightest.(Man,am I gonna get flamed
             for that!!)...

>>>In my opinion it does change the tone--and I know several people who agree
>>>with me...
>>
>>          ...that's the axe he made famous by performing "Stairway to Heaven"
>>          on live.(In fact Gibson custom-made it for that reason.)I've heard
>>          live versions of STH and it didn't sound the same.He can get two
>>          different sounds out of the same axe!!!...
>
>Wow! *TWO* different sounds out of the same "axe" (God I hate that term--it's
>not used to chop down trees so why call it an axe??)--it's amazing what a
>flick of the pickup switch can do!

            ...yeah,and I bet if Page ever puts his in either extreme position
            he'll be able to get about twenty more to add to his original ten..

>>>For all who are wondering, No, Larry and I don't have daily swordfights
>>>between us here on campus. (Grenades are more effective :-))
>>>
>>>--
>>>

>>         ...you see,I read net.bizarre,and frankly Paul,I FEEL SORRY FOR
>>         YOU!! Your missin' an important piece!!! Folks,we're talkin' about
>>         a guy who tried to cheese his hunger away by cooking "Combos" in
>>         a 7-11 micro-wave,and then got pissed when they exploded!!I rest
>>         my case...
>
>Actually, I didn't get pissed when they exploded--I found it quite funny.
>It was the girl working in there that got pissed.

          ...did you get a refund?? Maybe I should ask if you got arrested?..

                                         So I'm packing my bags,
                                          goin' to Misty Mountain,
                                         where the spirits flow now,
                                          over the hills where the
                                            spirits fly,

kirsch@sjuvax.UUCP (P. Kirsch) (10/30/85)

In article <2487@sjuvax.UUCP> lp102911@sjuvax.UUCP (Larry Palena) writes:
>In article <2484@sjuvax.UUCP> kirsch@sjuvax.UUCP (P. Kirsch) writes:
>>>>>>>>

>   ...seven cross references!!!! It's gotta be a world's record!!!...

(Another record broken--now it's eight!)

>>>       ...see now this is what I mean!!! You probably bought that book when
>>>       the ink was still wet,read it from cover to cover six times,and now
>>>       that you're a star on oh-so-sophisticated net.music you deride it.Every-
>>>       body loves the Big Blimp in the closet,but when they've got nothing
>>>       better to do they post pieces making fun of it's creator!!!...
>>
>>Actually Larry, I never bought the book--a friend of mine owns it. Are
>
>         ...you know what they say about birds of a feather.You were pro-
>         bably too chintzy to pay the $12.00 to buy it...

Actually, it's has to do more with the fact that I wouldn't want to WASTE
the 12 dollares to spend on it...

>>you going to deny some of the stories in the book?--Like the time Page
>>and Bonham tied a woman down spread eagle on a bed and stuck raw fish in
>>her you-know-what. I still like Led Zeppelin and I will even though I think
>
>        ...for the record the story is this;
>
>             Peter Grant and Peter Cole were fishing out a window of
>           a motel in Washington State,and were having a good day.In
>           fact they had several small sharks hanging in the closet of
>           the motel room they were fishing from.A young groupie came
>           around to their room looking for the honor of being violated
>           by a member of the Zep entourage.So she submitted to being
>           tied to the bed and roguered by a shark's nose.Grant claims
>           that she enjoyed it and was perfectly willing.Page was nowhere
>           around...

Well there was even an excerpt in Rolling Stone where Page was around.
>>that as a person, Page is a consumate asshole. I also think Roger Waters is
>
>        ...a CONSUMMATE ASSHOLE!!! How could you call a guy who owns cas-
>        tles a consummate asshole?? A guy who owns about six cars and doesn't
>        know how to drive?? A world-reknowned Satanist!!??...

I forgot, owning castles definitely means you're not an asshole. (That's
meant to be sarcastic Larry--I don't care how much he OWNS--that has nothing
to do with him being an asshole. Oh--I never brought in the Satanist part.)

>>a consumate asshole but I don't listen to his music for the type of
>>person he is either. I attacked Page because you decided that to judge
>>Pink Floyd on Roger Water's personal life. Oh Larry, by the way--David
>
>         ...DID I???!!! When?!! I said that "The Wall" is a shitty album,
>         undoubtedly Floyd's worst,and certainly not deserved of its place
>         on that stupid poll.You introduced (quite irrelevantly) the fact
>         that it was Water's autobiog.What this has to do with the over-
>         all quality of the album is obviously beyond my ability to see...

It's not Floyd's worst album--the Final Cut is. I introduced it as being
Water's biography (quite relevantly ) because that is the reason for the
mood of the songs--i.e. depressing/somber.

lp102911@sjuvax.UUCP (palena) (10/30/85)

In article <2491@sjuvax.UUCP> kirsch@sjuvax.UUCP (P. Kirsch) writes:
>In article <2487@sjuvax.UUCP> lp102911@sjuvax.UUCP (Larry Palena) writes:
>>>>>>>>>

>>   ...seven cross references!!!! It's gotta be a world's record!!!...
>
>(Another record broken--now it's eight!)

       ...NINE!!!!...

>>>Actually Larry, I never bought the book--a friend of mine owns it. Are
>>
>>         ...you know what they say about birds of a feather.You were pro-
>>         bably too chintzy to pay the $12.00 to buy it...
>
>Actually, it's has to do more with the fact that I wouldn't want to WASTE
>the 12 dollares to spend on it...

           ...just like you wouldn't waste the 30-odd "dollares" (what's the
           rate of exchange on them,anyway?) to buy all their albums but the
           Fourth,right...

>>>you going to deny some of the stories in the book?--Like the time Page
>>>and Bonham tied a woman down spread eagle on a bed and stuck raw fish in
>>>her you-know-what. I still like Led Zeppelin and I will even though I think
>>
>>        ...for the record the story is this;
>>
>>             Peter Grant and Peter Cole were fishing out a window of
>>           a motel in Washington State,and were having a good day.In
>>           fact they had several small sharks hanging in the closet of
>>           the motel room they were fishing from.A young groupie came
>>           around to their room looking for the honor of being violated
>>           by a member of the Zep entourage.So she submitted to being
>>           tied to the bed and roguered by a shark's nose.Grant claims
>>           that she enjoyed it and was perfectly willing.Page was nowhere
>>           around...

         ...actually,their road manager's name is Richard Cole and John
         Bonham assisted him,not Peter Grant.Bonzo was actually quite
         gullible and Cole could get him to do anything...

>Well there was even an excerpt in Rolling Stone where Page was around.

           ...Oh BOY!!! Rolling Stone!!! They never had anything nice to
           say about the band anyway,and I dismiss most of what they say
           as horseshit anyway...

>>>that as a person, Page is a consumate asshole. I also think Roger Waters is
>>
>>        ...a CONSUMMATE ASSHOLE!!! How could you call a guy who owns cas-
>>        tles a consummate asshole?? A guy who owns about six cars and doesn't
>>        know how to drive?? A world-reknowned Satanist!!??...
>
>I forgot, owning castles definitely means you're not an asshole. (That's
>meant to be sarcastic Larry--I don't care how much he OWNS--that has nothing
>to do with him being an asshole. Oh--I never brought in the Satanist part.)

          ...tell that to Michael Des Barres,"Power Station"'s lead voc-
          alist.He got his big break thanks to Zeppelin,with the band "Det-
          ective".He assisted Page in some of the rituals...

>>>a consumate asshole but I don't listen to his music for the type of
>>>person he is either. I attacked Page because you decided that to judge
>>>Pink Floyd on Roger Water's personal life. Oh Larry, by the way--David
>>
>>         ...DID I???!!! When?!! I said that "The Wall" is a shitty album,
>>         undoubtedly Floyd's worst,and certainly not deserved of its place
>>         on that stupid poll.You introduced (quite irrelevantly) the fact
>>         that it was Water's autobiog.What this has to do with the over-
>>         all quality of the album is obviously beyond my ability to see...
>
>It's not Floyd's worst album--the Final Cut is. I introduced it as being
>Water's biography (quite relevantly ) because that is the reason for the
>mood of the songs--i.e. depressing/somber.

           ...I don't care if the mood is sunny and light,most of the
           songs are stupid and trite and I found the album to be tire-
           some for that reason.I love "Zen Arcade",and that's not ex-
           actly what I'd call an enheartening album!! The point is that
           the black emotions espoused on "Zen Arcade" are so real you
           can feel them.Is this true of "The Wall",which is basically
           a weepy piece of shit...

             P.S-
                  Guess what Paul!! Someone told me "Combos" are great
                fried!!

                                      Oooooh,it makes me wonder,

ebm@ingres.ARPA (Grady Toss) (11/02/85)

In article <2487@sjuvax.UUCP> lp102911@sjuvax.UUCP (Larry Palena) writes:
>        ...for the record the story is this;
>
>             Peter Grant and Peter Cole were fishing out a window of
>           a motel in Washington State,and were having a good day.In
>           fact they had several small sharks hanging in the closet of
>           the motel room they were fishing from...

Your record is slightly scratched Larry.  The *h*otel was The Edgewater
in Seattle, Washington.  Located on the waterfront of the Puget Sound, the
hotel offers free fishing pole check out at the front desk.  They'll even
cook up whatever you catch in the kitchen (and put up a picture of you and
your catch on the lobby wall).

Besides hosting the Beatles on their 2 US tours, The Edgewater was immortal-
ized on Frank Zappa & The Mothers "Live at Fillmore East" LP.  I think the
particular track was "Mudshark" (which undoubtedly is what Grant & Cole had
hanging in their closet).

... gt (Seattle expatriate)