[net.sf-lovers] FLYING SORCERERS references

boyajian@akov75.DEC (11/04/84)

> From:	orca!davidl	(David D. Levine)

> My best guess is that Fol, the god of Distortion, is Phil Foglio (pronounced
> "folio").  Foglio, winner of three (?) Fan Artist hugos, is a cartoonist and
> caricaturist, ergo a god of distortion.

At the time THE FLYING SORCERERS was published (let alone written) --- 1971 ---
Phil was a minor (in the sense of "not very well known") artist, if he was even
doing anything at that time. The chances that he would be so honored in TFS is
*extremely* unlikely.

> The balloon "Cathawk" and the statement "The Cathawk has landed" seem to
> imply some kinship with the Eagle of Apollo 11.

(How soon they forget) Obviously, the "has landed" bit is a reference to
Apollo 11, but the Cathawk business is a reference to Kitty Hawk. Remember
the characters of Wilville and Orbur?

> As far as anyone I know has ever determined, there is no fannish meaning to
> the names Shoogar and Lant,...

If I remember correctly, Larry Niven's wife had mentioned in a fanzine once
that Shoogar is definitely *not* a reference to anyone in particular.

--- jayembee (Jerry Boyajian, DEC, Maynard, MA)

UUCP:	{decvax|ihnp4|allegra|ucbvax|...}!decwrl!dec-rhea!dec-akov68!boyajian
ARPA:	boyajian%akov68.DEC@DECWRL.ARPA