[misc.legal] The Net's Potential in Scholarly Communication

mcb@lll-tis.arpa (Michael C. Berch) (08/04/87)

In article <1069@mind.UUCP> harnad@mind.UUCP (Stevan Harnad) writes:
> [With regard to use of Usenet for scholarly conferencing:]
> I'm continuing to think of ways, though. One possibility might be to
> hard-publish the four or five discussions I've already generated, but that
> would require permissions from all concerned and would entail lots of
> coordination problems. (I've saved all the files though.)

I have not been following the "Symbol Grounding" discussion which Mr.
Harnad refers to, but would like to point out that Usenet articles
that are posted without copyright notice are in the public domain (at
least according to US law) and permission need not be secured from the
authors for republication.  It is certainly courteous to do so,
particularly if the republication is for formal scholarly or
commercial purposes, but as a strict matter of law it is unnecessary
to do so. The exception, of course, would be articles that bore
copyright notices; a number of these appeared during the initial
controversy over redistribution of Stargate material, but essentially
all have disappeared by now.

Michael C. Berch
ARPA: mcb@lll-tis.arpa
UUCP: {ames,ihnp4,lll-crg,lll-lcc,mordor}!lll-tis!mcb