[misc.legal] More misinformation about pot

richard@gryphon.UUCP (10/23/87)

In article <1072@puff.wisc.edu> mading@puff.wisc.edu (Eric Mading) writes:

>I read that the government does tax drugs.  In fact, marijuana was not made
>illegal, the law established a hefty tax on marijuana in 1937.  So those who
>are saying that marijuana should be made legal can shut up now: marijuana is
>legal, if you pay the tax on it.

Brilliant. You can indeed legally sell buy pot if you have the tax stamp.

But you can't get the tax stamp.

>I like the idea of legalizing prostitution.  If prostitution is legalized, we
>may not need drugs for pleasure.  The government could also test prostitutes
>for STD's and charge a tax on sexual services.  This would make prostitution
>much safer.  Also, the danger of pimps would go away, because the government
>could ban males with a prision record form working in the business.  Many
>brothels that would pop up from the legalization of prostitution would be
>run just like a normal family establishment, with the madam and her girls.

Are you that lonely ?

>I believe that what really causes prostitution to be illegal is the fact
>that the Bible is used to shape our laws.  This explains why we had Prohi-
>bition and why many drugs are illegal.

More likey it was a bunch of narrow minder dweebs, enforcing their beliefs
upon other poeple. Much like you are apparantly trying to do.

>With the
>price high, only adults could afford drugs; adults who have learned about drugs
>and can make educated choices.
              ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Hark! A glimmer of hope.

>Drug education should
>teach the facts about drugs and teach "Just say no."

What happened to the educated choices ?

--
Richard J. Sexton
INTERNET:     richard@gryphon.CTS.COM

"It's too dark to put the keys in my ignition..."

mikep@ism780c.UUCP (10/24/87)

In article <2015@gryphon> richard@gryphon.CTS.COM (Richard Sexton) writes:

>Brilliant. You can indeed legally sell buy pot if you have the tax stamp.
>
>But you can't get the tax stamp.

Ah, but, when I was living in Arizona, I heard you could buy a tax
stamp for pot.  I heard this in high school about 4 years ago.  At
the time, I wanted to go and buy one for a souvineer.  I didn't
do drugs and so the obvious harmful effect of buying the stamp
(being watched closely) wouldn't affect me.  However, after more
thought, I decided that buying a stamp would probably affect all
future chances of getting a security clearance.

Richard Sexton mentions (later on in the article) that educated
choices are what is needed.  True.  I didn't do drugs because of
a personal commitement to my parents.  Oh, I've tried pot and
used it regularly in the first quarter of my senior year in H.S.,
but I decided to quit because I didn't need it (and there was
that worry about a security clearance).

I don't hold it against people if they do what they want as long
as it remains a "victimless crime."  A lot of people will rant and
rave (just as I did until a little while ago) that drugs are
not a victimless crime.  I guess it all depends on how deep you
want to carry an argument.  Using the same reasoning, you could
almost name any action as a crime having a victim.

But, unlike most "let anyone smoke or shoot what they want" type
people, I do beleive there is a difference between certain substances.
I guess "survival of the fittest" would weed out those too stupid
to realize that PCP (and other major biggie killers) are bad news.

-MikeP