[misc.legal] Yet more mis-information about drugs

richard@gryphon.UUCP (10/23/87)

In article <1097@puff.wisc.edu> mading@puff.wisc.edu (Eric Mading) writes:
>To the IRS or the Department of Agriculture, I guess.  I'd talk to an attorney,
>first, though.

Is that what you are posting Eric, your guesses ?

>>  MOST students have tried drugs. MOST.
>>
>Most students have tried alcohol, tobacco, and marijuana only.  NOT cocaine,
>LSD, Angel Dust, hashish, speed, or heroin.  The war on drugs is helping to
>change this.  Remember, its only a year old.

Are you on the same planet ? Or are things *that different* in the mid-west ?

In Canada, hashish and hash oil are more prevelent, than pot, as they
are more potent and compact, and therefore more economically feasable.

LSD is more prevelant than you can imagine. But it doesn't *really*
make poeple stare at the sun, so you probably wouldnt know if somebody
was using it or not. You'd probably think they were drunk.

Which raises a question ? If you get drunk, Eric, and somebody else
drops acid, and you both act the same, does this stll make LSD the
evil little nasty you think it is ?

Speed, in the form of "bennies" or "white crosses" is extremely
common esp. around universities and esp. around mid-terms and finals :-)

Real speed, Methadrine, is more common than you would think, but I agree
is not nice stuff that can kill you quick. This being true, I still
know quite a few people that have been using it without any harmful effect
for over ten years. Not daily, but recreationally. Dont be alarmed if you
don't believe it, I'm not sure I do either, but I have seen it with my
own eyes. This is directly contrary to what I have read in pro-drug
literature, which just shows you what peopl know about this stuff.

A lot of college kiddies are into Coke, Eric.

PCP may be the only drug on your list that could not be considered
"common". But even it, can be found on any college campus.

The war on drugs is only a year old ? Eric, get real. How long
has ronnie been in power ?

>> > Drug education should
>> > teach the facts about drugs and teach "Just say no."
>> >
>>  This is another ridiculous fantasy. Try to get  kid to "just say no". Try it
>> yourself. A simple minded solution for simple minded people.
>>
>It has been tried.  It has worked for the majority of kids.  Even when most kidstried illegal drugs, most tried only once, didn't like them, and never did them
>again.  Those that did most likely got hooked.

Oh-oh. We're back to "all drug users are addicts" again. Are you going to
apologize for this too ?

Eric, if you know, say. If you don't know, either don't say or preface it
with "I think". You seem to be guilty of making up facts.

>Eric Mading
>Computer Science Department
>UW-Madison

Maybe it's the cheese :-)

--
Richard J. Sexton
INTERNET:     richard@gryphon.CTS.COM

"It's too dark to put the keys in my ignition..."

acm@bu-cs.UUCP (11/02/87)

In article <2016@gryphon.CTS.COM> richard@gryphon.CTS.COM (Richard Sexton) writes:
>In article <1097@puff.wisc.edu> mading@puff.wisc.edu (Eric Mading) writes:
>>To the IRS or the Department of Agriculture, I guess.  I'd talk to an attorney,
>>first, though.
>
>Is that what you are posting Eric, your guesses ?
>
>>>  MOST students have tried drugs. MOST.
>>>
>>Most students have tried alcohol, tobacco, and marijuana only.  NOT cocaine,
>>LSD, Angel Dust, hashish, speed, or heroin.  The war on drugs is helping to
>>change this.  Remember, its only a year old.
>
>Are you on the same planet ? Or are things *that different* in the mid-west ?
[breakdown on hash, lsd, pcp, and speed deleted for space reasons]

>A lot of college kiddies are into Coke, Eric.

"A lot" may be one hell of an understatement.  In my home town pot
used to be the number one "drug" seen (even over alcohol because it
was considerably easier to get and the effects are easier to hide).
Now it's cocaine.  Cocaine is relatively cheap (at least where I come
from and it still has quite the bang for the buck) and quite compact.
It's practically impossible to detect that someone is using cocaine.
And cocaine is even easier to get than pot or alcohol ever was.  Quite
a lure, wouldn't you say?

>The war on drugs is only a year old ? Eric, get real. How long
>has ronnie been in power ?

Yea.  Two years ago Playboy published an article on the war against
drugs that Reagan had started.  The article explained a few things
that many people miss.  The government had made a raid on a rather
large plantation used for growing marijuana.  After the raid when they
were going through the warehouses, they found that THAT ONE PLANTATION
HAD MORE MARIJUANA THAN THE US GOVERNMENT THOUGHT WAS GROWN IN MEXICO.
Kind of makes you think that illegal drug use is somewhat more common
than you might like to believe, doesn't it?  Certainly high volume.

>>>  This is another ridiculous fantasy. Try to get  kid to "just say no". Try it
>>> yourself. A simple minded solution for simple minded people.
>>>
>>It has been tried.  It has worked for the majority of kids.  Even when most kidstried illegal drugs, most tried only once, didn't like them, and never did them
>>again.  Those that did most likely got hooked.

Pfft.  In my experience most kids didn't just try it once and in
addition tended to like the stuff.  They may not use them all the
time (ie they are not addicts) but they will use them on occasion.

>Oh-oh. We're back to "all drug users are addicts" again. Are you going to
>apologize for this too ?

He had better.

jim frost
madd@bucsb.bu.edu