[misc.legal] Did Eric write this?

Q2816@pucc.UUCP (11/08/87)

In article <1232@puff.wisc.edu> mading@puff.wisc.edu (Eric Mading) writes:
>So Doug Ginsburg likes his reefer.  That doesn't suprise me, he is a
>Jew.  I think Ronnie should tell this pot-smoking Jew to get his ass
>out of the country and deport him to Israel, where he belongs.

>Eric Mading.

>These views definitely don't represent the University's.

But they represent your views, eric, and you have published them.

If you have been posting things just to attract attention and Email,
please come out and say so.  Pleas say this was all a bad joke.

If somebody else has used your account, please tell us that.

However, if the hideous paragraph above DOES represent what you
think, be prepared for the consequences of your publishing it.
It would not take much to make a few dozen hard copies and
distribute them to your colleagues and faculty.  Are you so proud
of your views that you will defend them face-to-face, and not just
hiding behind a terminal?

Please respond, Eric.  I do not want to think ill of you.

Roger Lustig (Q2816@PUCC.BITNET)

I dreamt I saw Joe Hill last night, alive as you and me.
"But Joe," I said, "you're ten years dead."  "I never died," said he.

dmjones@bloom-beacon.UUCP (11/09/87)

In article <3786@pucc.Princeton.EDU> Q2816@pucc.Princeton.EDU writes:
>In article <1232@puff.wisc.edu> mading@puff.wisc.edu (Eric Mading) writes:
>>[incredibly bigoted and ignorant posting]
>>Eric Mading.

>[plea for Eric to clarify what is going on]
>Please respond, Eric.  I do not want to think ill of you.
>Roger Lustig (Q2816@PUCC.BITNET)

Allow me to second this motion.  I read over some of Eric's previous
postings last night and was struck by the number of times he has
completely reversed his positions.  Either he his a first-class
hypocrite or else is arrogant enough to think he can snow the entire
net by posting articles which sound like they were dictated by an
eight-year-old caught cursing out his parents ["What I really meant
when I said I would outlive you is that I'm younger than you are..."].

WARNING:  Personal opinions and speculations follow.

The extremism of his postings has led some people to speculate that
"Eric Mading" is a pseudonym used by someone who gets his jollies from
watching people flame ignorant opinions.  Unfortunately, we have had
at least three different people (including a system manager at puff)
post articles that seemingly verify Eric's existence.  I can see three
different possibilities here.

	1. "Eric Mading" is an _elaborate_ hoax, involving either
           several people, or one person who is very good at forging
           articles (and bold enough to forge an article from a system
           manager).

	2. Eric Mading exists and is posting intentionally inane
           and	inflamatory opinions to the net for the {joy of
           watching people get extremely upset | attention that hit
           brings him | [insert favorite reason] }.

	3. Eric Mading exists and is sincere about everything he
           posts, including the neo-Nazi sentiments, the continual
           contradictions of his previous postings and his seemingly
           abysmal lack of any ability or predilection toward thinking
           about what he says or believes.

If 1 or 2 is the case, it is time for the real system operators at
puff to find out who is responsible for this assault upon the net and
put an end to it.

If 3 is the case, I think a system operator should have a talk with
Eric and at least suggest that Eric start acting like a responsible
adult, e.g., don't post articles without thinking about what you are
really saying, and don't think you can stick your foot in your mouth
repeatedly and then say "Oh, I'm sorry, that's not what I really meant
to say."  (I also think Mading should get psychiatric help, but that
is secondary to the problem facing the Net.)

As far as what we as readers of the net can do, I can only suggest a
couple of things.

	1.  Stop replying to Mading's postings over the net.  If you
	    must reply, reply via e-mail.  (I personally would make
	    sure to suggest therapy in each message.)  In my opinion,
	    there is no need to keep debating Eric's views on the net.
	    I can't believe that anyone will defend him.

	2.  Flood the system managers at puff with e-mail and try to
	    make them realize that just putting /mading@puff/h:j in
	    our kill files (for those of us who have that option) is
	    not enough.  The problem of Eric Mading transcends such a
	    simple solution.
David M. Jones (ESGGM)			    	|   "It was my my right
Real_Network: dmjones@athena.mit.edu	    	|       to die as well.
Fake_Net: ...!mit-eddie!mit-athena!dmjones  	|    Instead I live, and
USmail: 3 Ames Street; Cambridge, MA  02139 	|       live in Hell."

anderson@vms.macc.wisc.edu.UUCP (11/09/87)

In article <1764@bloom-beacon.MIT.EDU> dmjones@athena.mit.edu (David M. Jones) writes:

]I can see three
]different possibilities here.
[...]
]	3. Eric Mading exists and is sincere about everything he
]           posts, including the neo-Nazi sentiments, the continual
]           contradictions of his previous postings and his seemingly
]           abysmal lack of any ability or predilection toward thinking
]           about what he says or believes.
[...]
Eric Mading is a real person, a senior registered here.
[...]
]As far as what we as readers of the net can do, I can only suggest a
]couple of things.
[...]
]	2.  Flood the system managers at puff with e-mail and try to
]	    make them realize that just putting /mading@puff/h:j in
]	    our kill files (for those of us who have that option) is
]	    not enough.  The problem of Eric Mading transcends such a
]	    simple solution.
More than likely, the CS department (puff's owner) is attending to
the problem already.  I would suggest the first option (sorry I
deleted it): ignore the problem for a while; perhaps it's no longer
a problem.

==ARPA:========anderson@vms.macc.wisc.edu======Jess Anderson======
| UUCP:     {harvard,rutgers,akgua,ihnp4,      1210 W. Dayton    |
|   allegra,ucbvax}!uwvax!wircs3!anderson      Madison, WI 53706 |
==BITNET:===============anderson@wiscmacc======608/263-6988=======