[misc.legal] Nicaragua

lazarus@athena.mit.edu (Michael Friedman) (01/23/88)

I have a challenge here for those who feel strongly about Nicaragua.

What would it take to change your mind about the Sandinistas
intentions? Don't give something stupid, like "I will decide the
Sandinistas are bad people if they start throwing all the Miskitos in
gas chambers." but something reasonable.

Example: I will believe that the Sandinistas have decided to comply
with the Arias Plan and set up a democracy if all political prisoners,
including captured contras and former National Guardsmen are released
in Nicaragua. I will change my mind in this case because releasing
these people will force the Sandinistas to become a democracy - if
they don't keep their word all these people will run off and join the
contras.

If Ortega releases these people you can make me eat crow on the net. I
want the opportunity to do the same to you.

Any takers?

These are the official opinions			Mike Friedman
of my organization. So, TOUGH!!

cik@l.cc.purdue.edu (Herman Rubin) (01/25/88)

In article <2469@bloom-beacon.MIT.EDU>, lazarus@athena.mit.edu (Michael Friedman) writes:

> I have a challenge here for those who feel strongly about Nicaragua.
>
> What would it take to change your mind about the Sandinistas
> intentions? Don't give something stupid, like "I will decide the
> Sandinistas are bad people if they start throwing all the Miskitos in
> gas chambers." but something reasonable.

When the Sandinistas let their political opponents assemble without harassment
from government-directed mobs or government officials, when the opposition
press can print that Ortega is an idiot and that the government policies are
ruining the country, when they kick out the Cubans.  Except for San Marino,
I know of no place where Stalinists (I will not accept that they are Marxists)
have allowed any political activity which threatened their dictatorship.
The Sandinistas have absolutely no understanding of democracy.

Phone: (317)494-6054
hrubin@l.cc.purdue.edu (ARPA or UUCP) or hrubin@purccvm.bitnet