[misc.legal] Raygun .... FLAME WARNING

pete@octopus.UUCP (Pete Holzmann) (01/29/88)

Never thought I'd write a flame... I guess there's a first time for everything!

In article <2598@bloom-beacon.MIT.EDU> lazarus@athena (Michael Friedman) writes:
>In article <158@octopus.UUCP> pete@octopus.UUCP (that's me) writes:
>>...Raygun...

>Whenever I see anyone consistently call the president of the United
>States 'Raygun' I think of a rather infantile person who in his/her
>own spoiled brattish way is protesting the will of the American
>people.

Most of the 'ideas' that come from the oval office where Raygun sits make
me think of a rather infantile person who in his/her own spoiled brattish way
is destroying the future of America.

>Yes, Pete, WE voted him into office. You know, the PEOPLE!!!

WE the PEOPLE can be extremely stupid. We are greedy, overoptimistic, short-
sighted and selfish. The fact that we are a majority doesn't make us right.
The fact that we elected Reagan president makes him president. It doesn't
make him a good president. (I could bring in silly comparisons to how the
people of Germany brought Hitler to power, but previous logic experts have
pointed out that comparisons of this sort are dirty-fighting. I guess I agree
with that. Reagan can't be compared with Hitler. But I think it is valid to
point out that you CAN fool a majority for a long time!)

>And, Pete, calling him 'Raygun' isn't cute. It doesn't even serve as a
>good method of displaying your liberal credentials. It just makes you
>look stupid.

It is a brief way to make a point. Political cartoonists use caricature for
the same reason. Reagan has *earned* the name 'Ronnie Raygun'. He is not
living in the real world. Maybe the movie world of the 50's, I don't know.
Perhaps that's why people liked him so much- lots of Americans *wish* that
life was as simple, wholesome, clean, etc as old-time-TV showed it. I find
him a likeable guy too! But that doesn't make him worthy of being President.

I should probably note that calling him 'Raygun' doesn't make me a liberal,
any more than calling him 'Reagan' makes you conservative. The fact that
I am an Evangelical Christian (One of *them*!) who is opposed to abortion
(my oh my!) doesn't make me conservative; my opposition to officially-led
school prayer or opposition to Contra support doesn't make me liberal either.
Life just isn't that simple! I hope that your worldview isn't that simple.
Reagan fits my idea of a 'Ronnie Raygun' kid who lives in a comic book world.
If it needs to be spelled out for you, then you have been reading the news
with Reagan-colored glasses:

    Some not-verbatim quotes (he said it, but I don't have the wording right
    here in front of me. You want references? Get a copy of the gift-calendar
    for '88 that celebrates his last year in office. *I* was amazed at how
    ignorant and pie-in-the-sky he is! It is all there in funny-if-it-weren't-
    true detail) just from memory. No particular order. Maybe the ones that
    come to mind are the ones that irk me the most:

    - "Catsup is a vegetable"
	Remember that one? I am *sickened* by what now passes for a 'school
		lunch'! (Catsup is no more a nutritional vegetable than
		chocolate-chip cookies are whole-wheat bread)
    - "If you've seen one tree, you've seen them all"
	Reagan does *not* appreciate the environment. Watt, Hodel, etc have
	simply been carrying out his policies.
    - "SDI will provide a shield to protect the people of America from
	    nuclear attack"
	No expert anywhere believes this. The most optimistic believe that
	    SDI will protect our missiles enough to retaliate. If nuclear
	    war occurs, the PEOPLE are DEAD. Compared to the present situation
	    of MAD, this is no better, less reliable, and much more expensive.
    - "Firing the traffic controllers has had no effect on air traffic
	    safety"
	Hah! (I'm not saying he was wrong to fire them. He just doesn't
	    have any grasp of reality!)
    - (pre-election) "These ($30? Billion) budget deficits are a disgrace!"
	No comment needed. The interest paid on the Reagan deficits will be
	    comment enough for many decades!
    - "I call for a balanced budget amendment. Congress can't control
	    itself, so let the President do the job"
	If he believed this, he would submit a fiscally responsible, balanced
	    budget to congress. He has done exactly the opposite. The
	    presidency is not immune from fiscal irresponsibility in the least!
	    (And a purely balanced budget of the type Reagan is requesting is
	    not wise anyway- there are *good* reasons to borrow money! Few
	    people would own houses, otherwise)
    - Appointments. Either he has little understanding of reality as it
		applies to people, or he's a crook. How else to explain the
		record number of indictments, etc? 'Detached management style'?
		That's equivalent to saying he doesn't keep tabs on reality!

You may not agree with me, but in my opinion, 'Raygun' is about the nicest
thing I can apply to him! Reagan is childish; he is not a statesman. The
recent INF treaty stuff doesn't change a thing- He didn't have much to do
with it! Other people have finally surrounded him with a pretty good set of
protective people (Baker is key, methinks) who have been able to get some
good things done. They try to keep him quiet as much as possible. When he
opens his mouth without lots of rehearsal, he ends up jamming his foot in
knee-deep (as far as reality is concerned- he always makes everything sound
wonderful whilst doing it).

Reagan's main asset is his winsome public ways - he makes
you feel *good* right now. That makes good TV and good politics and even
wins elections. It has cost us a Trillion dollars that we don't have and has
mortgaged my children's future. In that light, I can't say he has been a good
president. I can't say he's a good statesman. I can't say he has kept the
good of our country in mind. It doesn't say much for the PEOPLE of our country
either, and that's why we are becoming the laughingstock of the world for
having elected this guy! People in Europe laugh at our habit of electing
people who look good on TV rather than electing Statesmen (tm Mattel Inc, or
something like that! :-))

>Take a look at Barry Shein's and Tim Sevener's postings. I don't
>think much of their opinions or of them, but at least they do not
>regress to childhood when they post on the net.

It is only necessary to regress to childhood when attempting to understand
a child. I do it when playing with my 3 year old daughter, and I do it with
Ronnie Raygun. Fortunately, my conversation with you has been more grown up,
at least until this point!

>These are the official opinions			Mike Friedman
>of my organization. So, TOUGH!!

Pete

--
  OOO   __| ___      Peter Holzmann, Octopus Enterprises
 OOOOOOO___/ _______ USPS: 19611 La Mar Court, Cupertino, CA 95014