[misc.legal] Send 'em to a concentration camp

COK@PSUVMA.BITNET (R. W. F. Clark) (03/17/88)

In article <1770@rtech.UUCP>, stevef@rtech.UUCP (Steve Frye) says:

>In article <7288@mhuxu.UUCP>, jmd@mhuxu.UUCP (Joseph M. Dakes) writes:
>
>        No, YOU are talking about 'driving under the influence'.  WE have been
>talking about the negative effects of second hand smoke vs. second hand alcohol.
>
>        You don't like smoke because it irritates you.  I don't like the smell
>of alcohol.  I feel I should be able to go into a restaurant and have a nice
>dinner without the nauseating smell of alcohol ruining a meal.  Should I
>go elsewhere to eat?

I don't like those disgusting [insert ethnic minority here] sitting in
the corner!  They're decidedly inferior breeds of humanity!  They
make me ill!  I should have a right to eat without having to be
near [insert racial slur here]!

Get a grip on reality.  I am allergic to cats.  I know a bookstore
owner who allows cats to wander freely in his bookstore.  I suppose
HE should be tossed in jail?  (Of course, even with the allergy,
I'm rather an aelurophile, so I suppose that makes it easier.)

>        On an airplane!!  Wow, I can EASILY pick out the disgusting scent
>of alcohol on an airplane right through the smell of smoke.  It is just
>as heavy and thick in ANY seating section.  I have heard - I do not know
>for a fact - that some airlines are beginning to ban smoking on shorter
>flights.  I'm willing to bet that the serving of alcohol will continue.

Sir, you seem to be having tremendous difficulty with reality.  Your
particular problems shouldn't run everyone else's life.  I don't see
that your neurotic delusions should be any reason to restrict the
rights of others.

>        The stench of alcohol has made me very ill on multiple occasions.
>Why should I have to tolerate it?  Any more than others have to tolerate
>cigarrete smoke?

You don't.  As Mr. Denninger has said on previous occasions, if someone
allows something which offends you in his business, don't patronize
him.  You have no right to dictate what private business can or can
not do, and, short of socializing all businesses, I can't see what
your goal is.

>        The number of hospitalizations and deaths from second hand smoke
>is a proven? statistic that escapes me right now.  The number of deaths from
>second hand effects of alcohol are quite proven.

Really?  I rather assume this is a rather unsubtle reference to deaths
from drunk drivers.  I doubt anyone has died from breathing alcohol
fumes, however.  Your analogy sucks.

>        You suggest that second hand alcohol deaths from alcohol can be
>curbed by education.  Is this not true for smoking also?

This man oughtta be nominated for a Maroney.

Of course it's true for smoking!  You make that statement so boldly,
as if it hasn't been said by at least half a dozen people previously.
Why do you present this statement as if it's yet another block in
the structure of a brilliant argument?  It seems rather
_non sequitur_, somehow.

>--
>Steve Frye                              Relational Technology
>ptsfa!rtech!stevef                      1080 Marina Village Parkway
>                                        Alameda, Ca.  94501
>"No matter where we are standing, the wind always blows right at us". MGW
-------
UUCP:. . .rutgers!psuvax1!psuvma.BITNET!cok | cok@psuvma@psuvax1.cs.psu.edu

"Every book is a postponed suicide."  E. M. Cioran
     #! rnews            479
From: jthomp@convex.UUCP (Jim "Cookie" Thompson)
Newsgroups: alt.test
Subject: test of news/notes gateway
Date: 16 Mar 88 04:35:24 GMT

I'm sure you guys are getting tired of us by now..

kyl@homxb.UUCP ( ? ) (03/25/88)

In article <36354COK@PSUVMA>, COK@PSUVMA.BITNET (R. W. F. Clark) writes:
> > You don't like smoke because it irritates you.  I don't like the smell
> >of alcohol.  I feel I should be able to go into a restaurant and have a nice
> >dinner without the nauseating smell of alcohol ruining a meal.  Should I
> >go elsewhere to eat?

     Does smelling alcohol cause cancer?

> >        On an airplane!!  Wow, I can EASILY pick out the disgusting scent
> >of alcohol on an airplane right through the smell of smoke.  It is just
> >as heavy and thick in ANY seating section.  I have heard - I do not know
> >for a fact - that some airlines are beginning to ban smoking on shorter
> >flights.  I'm willing to bet that the serving of alcohol will continue.

      I don't see how it would be possible for anyone to "pick out the
   disgusting scent of alcohol over the smell of smoke".  Just by the
   inhalation of smoke, second or first hand, results in the dulling of
   your sense of smell.  BTW, there is a federal law prohibiting smoking
   on short flights ( I think it was flights less that one and a half hours
   long ) as of April. Northwest airlines has banned smoking an all its flights.

> >        The stench of alcohol has made me very ill on multiple occasions.
> >Why should I have to tolerate it?  Any more than others have to tolerate
> >cigarrete smoke?

       I do not understand your reasoning at all.  Becoming ill at the smell
    of alcohol is a problem specific to you, becoming ill from second hand
    smoke, however, effects a very large group of people.

> >        The number of hospitalizations and deaths from second hand smoke
> >is a proven? statistic that escapes me right now.  The number of deaths from
> >second hand effects of alcohol are quite proven.
>
> Really?  I rather assume this is a rather unsubtle reference to deaths
> from drunk drivers.  I doubt anyone has died from breathing alcohol
> fumes, however.  Your analogy sucks.

   I totally agree with, Mr. Clark here.  Your analogy is all wrong.
   How many accidents, and deaths have been caused by smokers who
   are playing around with their cigarettes?  Admittedly, not as many
   as from drunk drivers, but, why do you think many car insurance
   companies charge smokers more for car insurance?  There are studies
   that prove the deadliness of second hand smoke.  For example,
   children of smokers have a much higher rate of lung cancer than
   children of non-smokers.  I wonder how it makes a parents feel to
   know that they caused their childs death?

> >Steve Frye                              Relational Technology
> >ptsfa!rtech!stevef                      1080 Marina Village Parkway
> >                                        Alameda, Ca.  94501
> -------
> UUCP:. . .rutgers!psuvax1!psuvma.BITNET!cok | cok@psuvma@psuvax1.cs.psu.edu

                   Cindy

grgurich@gumby.cs.wisc.edu (Matthew Grgurich) (03/29/88)

.	Just to add to the destruction of the arguments stating that smoke
isn't any worse than alcahol, Just how many houses burn because of people
falling asleep drinking?

P.S. alcahol washes out easily. Smoking makes everything in a fairly large
radius end up smelling permanently disgusting. Ever sit in a car that was/is
owned by a smoker with the windows shut? Can you say "carsick"?

Alcahol in small amounts has actually been shown to have positive effects. One
inhalation of even second hand smoke has *permanent* negative effects and NO
redeeming features.

Matt Grgurich