[net.music] Recycled Song Titles Poll

bllklly@uwmacc.UUCP (08/31/84)

Discussing music with a friend, I said I thought "Heartbreaker" must be the
song title used by the greatest number of artists.  Led Zeppelin, Pat
Benetar, and the Rolling Stones come to mind without even thinking hard.
She disagreed.  Who else has used "Heartbreaker"?  What other overused
titles can you think of?  Post only those you can list at least 3 artists
for.
--

Bill Kelly
{allegra, ihnp4, seismo}!uwvax!uwmacc!bllklly

brooks@ihuxl.UUCP (The Foxy Carole Brooks) (09/04/84)

I believe Dionne Warwick also released a song entitiled "Heartbreaker".

I can think of three different songs with the title "FIRE"
	One was released by the Pointer Sisters, I can't remember the
	other two artists but I remember both songs were released about
	the same time. (Late 60's)

					ihuxl!brooks
					Carole Brooks

rohn@randvax.UUCP (Laurinda Rohn) (09/04/84)

Offhand, I can think of one title which would beat "Heartbreaker" :
"Lady".  There have been at least 4 songs recorded recently with
that title.  One by Styx (I believe on their 'Greatest Hits' LP),
one by Kenny Rogers, one by the Little River Band (I don't remember
which LP it was on), and one by George Benson on "Breezin'".

					Lauri

brooks@ihuxl.UUCP (Carole Brooks) (09/05/84)

Whoever is using derivatives of my name in posting articles,
kindly knock it off.

C. L. Brooks

tommyo@ihuxw.UUCP (Tom O`Connor) (09/06/84)

There have been quite a few song titles ued by songs which
have nothing else in common.  To add to "Heartbreaker",
there was Dolly Parton and Dionne Warwick.  "Fire" was
also done by Arthur Brown and the Ohio Players.  Here`s more:

CALL ME - Blondie, Aretha Franklin, Johnny Mathis, Chris Montez
	  Skyy, Al Green (That`s 6!)
CRAZY LOVE - Poco, Allman Brothers, Paul Anka
DANCE WITH ME - Orleans, Drifters, Peter Brown
FREE - Chicago, Deniece Williams, Tom Leonetti
GLORIA - Laura Branigan, Shadows of Knight, Enchantment
HEY LITTLE GIRL - Techniques, Major Lance, Dee Clark, Del Shannon
HOLD ON - Santana, Triumph, Kansas, Iam Gomm
I LOVE YOU - Climax Blues Band, Donna Summer, Volumes, People
I`M A MAN - Chicago, Fabian, Yardbirds
I`M SORRY - Platters, Brenda Lee, John Denver
LADY - Styx, Kenny Rogers, Little River Band, Jack Jones, Whispers
STEP BY STEP - Eddie Rabbitt, Crests, Joe Simon
TELL ME WHY - Elvis, Belmonts, Bobby Vinton
THINK - Aretha Franklin, Brenda Lee, James Brown
YOU - George Harrison, Rite Coolidge, Marvin Gaye

Quite a few aren`t there?  And I`m sure there are more

Tom O`Connor
ihuxw!tommyo

stein@druny.UUCP (09/06/84)

Just a quick comment on two songs mentioned before.

GLORIA has also been done (various versions) by Patty Smith,
The Doors, and the Grateful Dead (bootleg).

Neil Young also has a song titled "Tell Me Why".

Don Stein
druny!stein

ag4@pucc-h (Jeff Lewis) (09/07/84)

What!? No-one has yet mentioned U2's fantasic 'Gloria'?  Lessee, that
brings the grand total to ... seven!

--
Jeff Lewis
{decvax|ucbvax|allegra|seismo|harpo|teklabs|ihnp4}!pur-ee!lewie

rob@ctvax.UUCP (09/07/84)

#R:uwmacc:-24900:ctvax:39000025:000:210
ctvax!rob    Sep  7 09:58:00 1984

"Fire" by The Crazy World of Arthur Brown, released on a single sixteen
years ago on 7th September 1968. Also on the album "The Crazy World
of Arthur Brown".

"You're gonna burn, burn ..."

...convex!ctvax!rob

simard@loral.UUCP (Ray Simard) (09/07/84)

[Call the South Northville Aluminum Can and Song Title Recycling Center...]

Let's not forget "Only the lonely"...Roy Orbison and later the Motels.

--
[     I am not a stranger, but a friend you haven't met yet     ]

Ray Simard
Loral Instrumentation, San Diego
{ucbvax, ittvax!dcdwest}!sdcsvax!sdcc6!loral!simard

gregbo@houxm.UUCP (Greg Skinner) (09/09/84)

Dolly Parton put out a song called "Heartbreaker" in the fall of 1978.  It was
number one country but only barely made the top 40.

"Lady" has been used by quite a lot of artists:
	Styx in 1975
	Little River Band in 1979
	The Whispers in 1980
	Kenny Rogers in 1980 (written by Lionel Richie)

I think the most used title is "Call Me".  Someone used it in the 60s but I
can't remember who it was, only that the lyrics went something like "call me,
give me a break but just call me".  The ones I can remember are:
	Al Green in 1972
	Blondie in 1980 (from American Gigolo)
	Skyy in 1982

--
Hug me till you drug me, honey!

Greg Skinner (gregbo)
{allegra,cbosgd,ihnp4}!houxm!gregbo

gregbo@houxm.UUCP (Greg Skinner) (09/09/84)

Sheesh.  I should've remembered the Dionne Warwick "Heartbreaker".  I bought
her album (of the same name I think) because of that cut.

"Fire" was originally done by Bruce (Am I losing it?) Springsteen.  The Pointer
Sisters' cover of the single came out in the fall of 1978 and marked a turn-
around in their musical career (they started to have hit singles again).
"Fire" was also done by the Ohio Players in 1975.

Just thought of another one!  "Magic":

Pilot in 1975
Olivia Newton-John in 1980 (from Xanadu, and also my favorite ONJ tune)
The Cars in 1984 (just this summer!)
--
Hug me till you drug me, honey!

Greg Skinner (gregbo)
{allegra,cbosgd,ihnp4}!houxm!gregbo

gregbo@houxm.UUCP (Greg Skinner) (09/09/84)

I was just wandering through my archives and came up with a few more:

Why Me -- Styx (1980), Planet P (1983), Irene Cara (1983)
My Love -- Petula Clark (1966), Wings (1973), Lionel Richie (1983)
	I'm surpised no one got this one, but probably there aren't many netters
	who would have thought of Petula Clark.
My Girl -- Temptations (1965), Chilliwack (1981), Donnie Iris (1982)
	If anyone is still trying to come up with Canadian bands, Chilliwack is
	from Canada.
Games People Play -- Joe South (1969), Spinners (1975), The Alan Parsons
                     Project (1981)
--
Hug me till you drug me, honey!

Greg Skinner (gregbo)
{allegra,cbosgd,ihnp4}!houxm!gregbo

sunny@sun.uucp (Sunny Kirsten) (09/09/84)

Greetings:

	There is always Tobacco Road
Jefferson Airplane
The Leaves
Creedance
etc.	... there are at least 7 versions, but trying to remember them all...

	How about House of the Rising Sun?

--
{ucbvax|decvax|ihnp4}!sun!sunny (Sunny Kirsten of Sun Microsystems)

merchant@dartvax.UUCP (Peter Merchant) (09/11/84)

{ }

I bumped across one today which is kind of cute, but I don't consider it a
serious candidate for "Recycled Names."

"Mirror Man" -- The Human League and Talk Talk.
--
"Here comes the mirror man"                       Peter Merchant

abc@brl-tgr.ARPA (Brint Cooper ) (09/15/84)

Don't forget the oldest GLORIA yet to be mentioned:

	the one by Vivaldi!

merchant@dartvax.UUCP (Peter Merchant) (09/17/84)

All Night Long...Lionel Richie, Lipps, Inc., and Billy Squier.
(Thanks Ron...I didn't want to mention it because I only had two names)

(Psst -- Billy's "All Night Long" is god-like.  Co-produced by Jim Steinman!)
--
"Don't you wanna live?"                                    Peter Merchant

ron@brl-tgr.ARPA (Ron Natalie <ron>) (09/20/84)

But you still didn't answer my questions.  Are we still talking about
the song that goes "There is a house in New Orleans" or is there some
other song with the same name.

-Ron

rohn@randvax.UUCP (Laurinda Rohn) (09/20/84)

There is also an "All Night Long" on the Urban Cowboy Soundtrack.
I believe it is done by Joe Walsh.

					Lauri

cdelliot@uokvax.UUCP (09/21/84)

Wasn't "Fire" also the name of a Jimi Hendrix song?

				!ctvax!uokvax!cdelliot

msw@browngr.UUCP (Mark Wachsler) (09/23/84)

[munch, munch]

Another "recycled song title" was "Crazy Love", by the Allman Brothers
and Poco, I believe.  In fact these two were both hits at the same time.
(I seem to remember Casey Kasem saying something to that effect [yes, I
admit it, I did listen to that show back then.])

----------------
Tonight I'm gonna break away,			Mark Wachsler
Just you wait and see...			browngr!msw

jdb@qubix.UUCP (Jeff Bulf) (09/24/84)

> From: ron@brl-tgr.ARPA (Ron Natalie <ron>)
> OK, I'll bite.  What about the House of The Rising Sun?  What version
> other than the one done by the Animal (I think?) and Dolly Parton.
> -Ron

Sorry to have to do this one from memory. First version I heard of "Rising Sun"
was on an early Joan Baez album -- I think her first -- in the early 60's.
I seem to recall credits saying that that the song was old even then, but I dont
remember any details.

    BTW: in many older (pre-Animals) versions, the "rising sun" was euphemism
for a red lantern and the house was a whorehouse, not a gambling den. Not that
the two have to be mutually exclusive. Maybe just a difference of emphasis (or
target market).
--
	Dr Memory
	...{decvax,ucbvax,ihnp4}!decwrl!qubix!jdb

wmartin@brl-tgr.ARPA (Will Martin ) (09/26/84)

I thought that this poll/contest/whatever was supposed to be about
COMPLETELY DIFFERENT songs that happen to have the same title, not
just different versions/renditions of the same song by different
singers or groups. Yet most of the responses I read seem to be
about how this or that particular song was done by all of: the Sex Pistols
and the Mormon Tabernacle Choir and Barbra Streisand and the Red Army
Chorus and Bob Dylan.

Am I wrong in the way I interpreted the original posting, or are all
these other contributors the ones in the wrong? [Don't worry, even
if you are wrong, nothing will happen to you...]

Will

dvw@hopd3.UUCP (D. V. Wilkerson) (09/26/84)

What about "Heartbreak Hotel" (different songs) by Elvis Presley and the
Jacksons (yes, those Jacksons).

D. Wilkerson
..!hopd3!dvw

wmartin@brl-tgr.UUCP (09/27/84)

Date: Thu, 27-Sep-84 02:00:00 EDT

ng Titles Poll

I thought that this poll/contest/whatever was supposed to be about
COMPLETELY DIFFERENT songs that happen to have the same title, not
just different versions/renditions of the same song by different
singers or groups. Yet most of the responses I read seem to be
about how this or that particular song was done by all of: the Sex Pistols
and the Mormon Tabernacle Choir and Barbra Streisand and the Red Army
Chorus and Bob Dylan.

Am I wrong in the way I interpreted the original posting, or are all
these other contributors the ones in the wrong? [Don't worry, even
if you are wrong, nothing will happen to you...]

Will

asente@decwrl.UUCP (Paul Asente) (09/28/84)

Another recycled song title is "Dancing in the Dark."  There is an old
song by that name.  Also, Peter Wolf was going to name the song on his
new album that's now named "Light's Out" "Dancing in the Dark" until
you-know-who released a song by the same name.

	-paul asente

agz@pucc-k (Andrew Banta) (10/02/84)

How about "All Night Long" on Jefferson Starship's _Earth_ album ...

Andy Banta			{decvax!allegra!inhp4}!pucc-k!agz
Alcohol Design and Application Corp. --- Serving people over 21 years.
"The band is just fantastic, that's really what we think ... "