[misc.legal] Font names

henry@utzoo.uucp (Henry Spencer) writes:
I wrote:
>> According to my sister in law, the budding attorney, a trademark
>> search is beyond the reach of non-lawers to do, and is expensive
>> and tedious. Great.
>
>I suspect the tricky part is deciding whether applying trademark "foo"
>to product ABC conflicts with the existing trademark "foo" for product
>DEF.  There may also be problems with the lack of an international
>registry for such things.

If ABC and DEF are vastly different products it is not a great problem, no ?

I know nothing of the law, (esp traffic laws, apparantly), but when i worked
for Cado computer systems in Torrance, Ca, we got a nasty letter from Cado
systems of Sweden, purveyors of fine wall unit furniture type stuff.

An agreement was reached that they wouldnt sell computers under the Cado
name and we wouldnt sell furniture under the Cado name.

Gak, this is horrible, I know I have other examples of the same name
being a registered tm on different products, but i can't seem to dredge
one up out of the atrophied mass of neurons I sometimes call a brain.
Anyway, it doesnt matter, it's not really relevent.

Somebody asked "why do you want to know, are you starting a type
foundry ?"

I wish.

I have been playing around with fonts for a while and have knocked
off a couple from ones in old books. Whether I release them as PD
or sell them is irrelevent, I need to know the legal status of all
those names.

In _Colophon_ which arrived today, the following trademarks are
noticed:

Futura (tm)				Fundicion Tipografica Neufville

Gill Sans (tm)				Monotype

ITC American Typewriter, ITC Avant Garde Gothic, ITC Bengulat, ITC Bookman,
ITC Cheltenham, ITC Franklin Gothic, ITC Galliard, ITC Garamond, ITC Korinna,
ITC Lubalin Graph, ITC Machine, ITC New Baskerville, ITC Souvenir, ITC Zapf
Chancery, ITC Zapf Dingbats all (tm) 	International Typeface Corp

Corona, Excelsior, Glypha, Helvetica, Mellor, Memphis, Optima, Palatino,
Trump Mediaeval, and Univers all (tm)	Linotype AG and/or it's subsidiaries

Lucida (tm)				Bigelow & Holmes. (C'mon chuck, hit 'f')

Ok, looks like those names are spoken for. Notice that Linotype has "Memphis";
does that mean Apple can/does have a (tm) for Chicago, Geneva, etc. ?

Now, on page 7 is listed "The adobe type library", a partial listing.

Some names have an R in a circle ater them, such as Platino, Optima, Glypha.
Others have a _tm_ after the name such as Corona, Excelsior etc.

(Note that these are all listed above in trademark declarations)

Others have nothing after them, such as

ITC Tiffany

An ITC font name that isn't (tm)'s or (circle) R'd ? Huh ?

Still others have nothing after the name: Stencil, Hobo, News Gothic, Cooper
Black, and more.

Does anybody know ???????

>Although it won't solve that kind of problem, if you just want a straight
>lookup in a list, I believe Dialog has a trademark database.

Ok, that sounds like a good lead. Does anybody know if they have font names
in their trademark database. At, what, $200/hr i dont want to go hacking
around for a few hours at 1200 baud to find they dont have fontnames.

>--
>"Noalias must go.  This is           |  Henry Spencer @ U of Toronto Zoology
>non-negotiable."  --DMR              | {ihnp4,decvax,uunet!mnetor}!utzoo!henry

              That was my favorite part, too.

--
             Nominee for official California State Vegetable
richard@gryphon.CTS.COM                          rutgers!marque!gryphon!richard