[misc.legal] what can we do about electronic "junkmail"

werner@utastro.UUCP (Werner Uhrig) (07/26/88)

within the last 3 days I received 2 messages by personal e-mail,
which are clearly of the "junkmail" variety:  one from Portal and one
from the "newly founded" Unix Today editor (who had the guts to ask me,
in good old junkmail fashion, for my life-story, including current
salary, for a "planned survey article on industry salaries" - he even
offered to keep the information confidential - HA!!)

I sent back a CLEARLY worded reply, explaining my displeasure, but
knowing how ineffective I have been discouraging telephone solicita-
tion calls, I believe that there is a need to find a way to discourage
"future" reoccurences ...not from the same people, who I trust will
respect my wishes never to hear from them again (though they may well
write to *YOU* next week..), but from the next "smart cookie"
who discovers that this is a cheap way of doing advertising
"on someone else's dime"  ... or go prowl the nets for a "sucker"

...after all, some of my best friends are "suckers" ...(-:

"...just another reduction of quality of life on this net ..."
--
-------------------->PREFERED-RETURN-ADDRESS-FOLLOWS<---------------------
(INTERNET)	werner%rascal.ics.utexas.edu@cs.utexas.edu

koreth@ssyx.ucsc.edu (Steven Grimm) (07/26/88)

In article <2943@utastro.UUCP> werner@utastro.UUCP (Werner Uhrig) writes:
>within the last 3 days I received 2 messages by personal e-mail,
>which are clearly of the "junkmail" variety
>
>I sent back a CLEARLY worded reply, explaining my displeasure, but
>knowing how ineffective I have been discouraging telephone solicita-
>tion calls, I believe that there is a need to find a way to discourage
>"future" reoccurences ...

E-mail is better than real mail in that you can reply with 500 "STOP
SENDING ME JUNK MAIL" messages (easy to do with a script), or, worse
still, 50 copes of the rec.humor canonical lightbulb joke list.  Hmm,
on second thought, I guess that's cruel and unusual punishment.

---
These are my opinions, and in no way reflect those of UCSC, which are wrong.
Steven Grimm		Moderator, comp.{sources,binaries}.atari.st
koreth@ssyx.ucsc.edu	...!ucbvax!ucscc!ssyx!koreth