[misc.legal] Ignorant statements about mail ownership yet again

mcb@eris.berkeley.edu (Michael C. Berch) (09/05/88)

In article <13844@agate.BERKELEY.EDU> weemba@garnet.berkeley.edu
(Matthew P Wiener) writes:
> If you are referring to surface mail, **copyright** is maintained by
> the sender.  The recipient *owns* the mail, but absolutely zero rights
> to publish it any form--and those rights are what copyright is all about
> in the first place.  The letter is *born* copyrighted; there is no need
> for any explicit (C) kind of indications.

Righto.  The technical reason for this is that the letter is *not
published*.  There is a body of jurisprudence about exactly what
constitutes "publication" for copyright (and for libel/slander)
purposes; the criteria for publication include the number of intended
recipients, whether the author *intended* to keep the communication
private (shown by direct or circumstantial evidence), the means of
communication, etc.  So a letter sent via sealed first class mail from
one individual to another is undoubtedly unpublished (and the author
retains intellectual property rights to it), unless the author can be
shown to have implicitly "published" the letter, as in including a
statement like "feel free to redistribute this".  On the other hand, a
form letter sent to thousands of recipients who are not personally
known to the author may well be construed to have been published, and
the latter would pass into the public domain if the author did not
affix notice of copyright.

On the other hand, as I have tried to point out here and there, the
*information* contained in private mail is NOT protected by copyright
law, merely the fixed embodiment of the idea in particular prose.  (It
may be protected from disclosure by trade secret law, by previous
agreeement of the parties, by a fiduciary relationship, or by other
law [e.g., classified information].)   So if Dr. Weemba writes me a
letter in which he asserts that, say, the Military Governor of
Fredonia is a pinhead, I am perfectly free to report that fact to others.

Michael C. Berch
Member of the California Bar
mcb@eris.berkeley.edu / mcb@tis.llnl.gov / ucbvax!eris!mcb